Author Topic: Best movie ever  (Read 8787 times)

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Best movie ever
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 12:31:53 PM »
Remember Chariots of Fire? Don't know how one would grade any movie as the best of all time but when I saw Chariots of Fire years ago, something happened that I have never experienced in a theater before or since. When the movie was over and they began rolling the credits, no one got up to leave, not a soul,  and when the screen finally went black, there was a standing ovation. So much for Citizen Kane !

Offline sheltonj

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 09:21:44 AM »
So many ... "Unforgiven" is in my top 5. Also I would throw in "No Country for Old Men" Guess I am in that old category.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »
Pocketful of Miracles and Walt Disney's The Cherokee trail.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:22:39 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 02:04:45 PM »
Most of the movies mentioned are are on my list of favourites. One I'd like to add to the list is "Lawrence of Arabia". The acting, the back drops, the music and the romance of the story itself.
It's actually quite accurate in most things it portrays about Lawrence, his life and the things that went on during his leadership of the Arab revolt in WWI. I've read his auto-boigraphical "Seven Pillars of Wisdom'', "Revolt in the Desert" and the more recent biography "Hero", which delves more into Lawrence as a man - before, during and after the War.

That brings to mind another because of Omar Sharif (who starred opposite O'Toole in "Lawrence") - "Dr. Shivago". Immense in it's scope and historical insights into the Russian Revolution. It also has Sir Alec Guinness in it, always a great role player.

Both good views for cold winter nights ...... :<)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 08:53:37 PM »
Battle of Britain featuring all those Spitfires, Hurricanes, and those Hispano Messerschmitt 109's. The actors weren't bad either.
A work in progress.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 10:48:39 AM »
RTR

A little off topic, but .....

your mention of the aircraft of the Battle of Britain brought back a fond memory. In the late '60s I stepped off a Boeing 707 at Los Rodeos airport in the Canary Islands, on leave from Germany. Lined up on the tarmac apron was a row of at least 10 Heinkel 111s with the Fascist Franco black 'X' on the rudder!
There were armed sentries, so I wasn't able to get very close. I asked why they were there and was told that they were used to ferry troops of the Spanish Foreign Legion on R&R from Morocco.
Sure enough, all over the place were these tanned, fit looking Legionnaires with the little red tassel dangling from their caps. Very dashing! The senoritas were all over them in the cantinas.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »
RTR

A little off topic, but .....

your mention of the aircraft of the Battle of Britain brought back a fond memory. In the late '60s I stepped off a Boeing 707 at Los Rodeos airport in the Canary Islands, on leave from Germany. Lined up on the tarmac apron was a row of at least 10 Heinkel 111s with the Fascist Franco black 'X' on the rudder!
There were armed sentries, so I wasn't able to get very close. I asked why they were there and was told that they were used to ferry troops of the Spanish Foreign Legion on R&R from Morocco.
Sure enough, all over the place were these tanned, fit looking Legionnaires with the little red tassel dangling from their caps. Very dashing! The senoritas were all over them in the cantinas.

I can't help but draw comparisons between those old fighter planes and old west gunslingers on horseback.
A work in progress.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com