Author Topic: Glayva  (Read 4899 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Glayva
« on: October 29, 2010, 04:54:56 PM »
Where can I get a couple of bottles?  (one for me, one for All Hat.)

Seems it's not being imported any longer and / or the company has gone out of business.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline FEATHERS

• 2Feathers
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Glayva
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:15:23 PM »
40rod try parkaveliquor.com they have an online store $42.00 a bottle.Feathers

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 04:56:14 PM »
Okay,

I give up ... what in blue blazes is Glayva?

Never mind, I found it and for those of you non Scottish, here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glayva

So, to us non-Ulster Irish, is it like Drambuie?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:30:12 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »
So, to us non-Ulster Irish, is it like Drambuie?

I'm guessing you won't like the orange bandanna I wear on the 17th of March every year? ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 06:01:56 PM »
Delmonico,

I am not Catholic; interestingly enough, I go to a Presbyterian (read Scottish) church and attend regularly (except when they have their 'Scotish Day' and dance on swords and eat cross buns and talk about how downtrodden they were by the British).

But my relatives go back to Catholic Ireland .... and I was told that my matriarchal name, O'Cosgrave, was deeply involved in the Death Squad of the Sinn Fein ... and my grandfather refused to discuss 1) Why he left Ireland and came to Texas, 2.) How he left Ireland and came to America,  or 3.) Where he was born or the date of his birth.

That was three generations ago, and I am a born citizen of these United States, and can only claim a 'shirt tail' relation to the country of Ireland.

So I blame it on Good Queen Bess and Lord North .... and, much like the Scottish, if we (the Irish) had fought as one and let the petty squabbles go, Ireland would all be one country ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 06:20:02 PM »
No longer being a drinker of wine, beers and ales, or spirits, I am not able to comment on how good Glayva is, but several people I know place in the same category as, and well above Gran Marnier.  I have tasted both and from my limited experience do agree.

All Hat would crawl through fire and glass for the stuff.

Feathers, my love, All hat is, as we speak, orering a supply rom the source you provided.  we both thank you.

Now, if only you would join us to sample some....!
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 06:22:47 PM »
I understand, I just do it because 99.9% of those in this country who wear the green that day have no knowledge of they why's and where and they don't undertand the orange.  I've got just a bit of the Ulster Irish in me, the rest is pretty much of English desent, except they kicked us out almost 400 years ago.

Here, click on this one, it is a good funny about the orange and green:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqN7kCfOOpw[/youtube]
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Forty Rod, we hijacked another thread of yours, but you know the rules, once your question is answered we hijack it. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 06:40:48 PM »
If you'll each send me a bottle of Glayva I'll forget it ever happened.
(Wonder if I'll get away with this.   ::))

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 06:42:26 PM »
How about a can of FFFFg instead? ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 07:15:18 PM »
I don't need it any more.  Got rid of my gophers 32 years ago.   ;)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 10:40:26 PM »
Delmonico,

'Tis a sad fact that more people have been killed and more hatred have been caused in Jesus' name than thought possible ...

And Forty, there is a huge liquor store in Ghirardelli Square ... they even had my favorite Spanish Brandy (Better actually that any brandy or VSOP I have ever had) ... if I can remember thae name of the store, I will check to see if they have it ... Glayva that is ....*S*

NCOWS #3403

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 11:00:59 AM »
Thanks, Wadd. 

The supply dried up a few months back and no one could get any.  It simply wasn't being imported for a long time.  If it's coming back I may pickup a lifetime supple.  (For me that's only about four bottles...for guests.)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 12:43:46 AM »
I will only have a drop it, 1.) I am inside for the night, 2.) Someone else has offered to be Designated Driver (usually it is me), or, 3) I am within walking distance from my bed ....

I got to learn from one of my ER patients ... he did not know it, but he had killed several people in an auto accident. We knew they were gone from the officers on scene, but all we could tell him when he asked was that they had been sent to another hospital, and we had no word ....

And in one moment he had lost his profession, his position in society, his job and probably his family.

The saddest thinkg of all was that he had no speech slur, no motor defect ... he was just terribly in the wrong place at the wrong time.

For I used to cross this intersection with real far and loathing ... for I knew that it was just an 'accident waiting to happen ...."

But the moral is that I learned from this mans misery ... I just won't drink and drive. period ... end of discussion.

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com