Author Topic: .44 special or .45 colt  (Read 22347 times)

Offline Red Feather Roy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.44 special or .45 colt
« on: October 27, 2010, 03:39:55 PM »
Hody all,

Got a question, which would you prefer and why, .44 specail or .45 colt?  Keep in mind I'm looking for a matching rifle as well that could be used for hunting.

Roy

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: .44 special or .45 colt
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 07:45:28 PM »
I like the .45 in a handgun. In a hunting rifle, using handloads, there ain't a nickel's difference in'm.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 10:54:41 PM »
I like the .45 in a handgun. In a hunting rifle, using handloads, there ain't a nickel's difference in'm.

+ ONE MORE, The 45 long colt does it for me too, and has been for over fifty years now, nuff said.

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:09:22 AM »

Offline Twitchy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 10:25:25 PM »
My stepson has been itchin to try my RNV in 45 colt that I got about a month ago.  In a weak moment ;) I let him go out and try it in the backyard.  $75.00 worth of ammo later (dealer cost) ::)he came back grinning from ear to ear. I think I have another convert.  He volunteered to buy "his own box" next time I order! Pretty much as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

Offline runawayshawn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:53:09 PM »
you could get a 44 mag. Shoot 44 special for cas or target shooting and have a great backpacking gun with super hot 44 mag rounds.

Offline AlaskaJack

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:29:38 PM »
I shoot em both in my blackhawks (which range from early flattop to 3 screw .45 to new model .45 and Lipsey .44 special and use only .45 Colt in the rifle.  Have a blast doing it too. :D
NRA Endowment Member
SASS

Online StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 05:45:55 AM »
Hody all,

Got a question, which would you prefer and why, .44 specail or .45 colt?  Keep in mind I'm looking for a matching rifle as well that could be used for hunting.

Roy...

I use Colt clones, none of the heavy Rugers, so... the differance between the two is minimal.  Both are capale of lauching a
+/- 250 grain bullet at about 1000 fps with handloads.  I have come to prefer the 45 long Colt but only because they are slightly lighter than the 44 version.  I also think they handle nicer but that is perhaps only a perception and not verifiable in fact. 
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Offline Christopher Carson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 07:11:59 AM »
Hody all,

Roy

Hunting what?  At what distances?

Depending, the rifle answer could be not just about a question of cartridge, but also sights.  For example, consider whether you want to mount a scope or not...   And then for some game, at some distances, with some liimitations for handloads vs. rifle strength, the .44 Mag, .44 Special, .44 WCF, and .45 Colt are relatively interchangeable...

-Chris

- Christopher Carson, SASS #5676L
A Ghostrider... Captain and Chief Engineer of the coaster "Ranger"; previously scout for the Signal Corps, Army of the Potomac, range detective...

Offline Gandalfdjh

• The Old Wizard
  • Citizen
    • Gandalfdjh
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 08:12:20 AM »
.45 Colt - that is the only way.  ;)
The Old Wizard of Tech
Gandalfdjh.com
Twitter: Gandalfdjh
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."  - Clint Eastwood

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 10:11:59 AM »
I would have to agree that a .44 Magnum is the way to go (unless you choose a .44-40  ;) .)  Seriously, the .44 Magnum provides the versatility that will serve in CAS matches (with suitably reduced loads, or using a .44 Special/.44 Russian brass, though I stick with the mangle-em cases), but can be heated up for hunting.  The main difficulty with .44 Magnum NOW is that Ruger stopped making the OM Vaquero in that caliber, and it isn't available in the New Model.  They still make the Blackhawk/Super in .44 Mag.

The .45 LC isn't a bad choice for hunting, but you simply can't load it up unless using a stronger gun than the Colt's SAA or clones.  In addition, in rifles, the .45 LC can present some feed problems, and with BP, you get a lot of blowby.  But it is available in both the NM Vaquero, and a number of rifles.

Just MHO.

Merry Christmas!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 09:31:12 PM »
+1
Just what Trailrider said...

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Dalion

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 07:28:42 PM »
I’ve been running a pair of Vaqueros and a Marlin 94 in 44 Mag. for the last couple of years in CAS without a single problem, with regular upkeep of course.  I run 44 Special ammo for CAS shooting and 44 mag. for hunting hogs and deer.  I really like shooting 44 Special it is very accurate and not finicky at all about loads.

Offline General Burleson

• Settled in Texas in 1830
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »
Guess I will be the contrarian in the group. I chose .44 Special - Have a 1866 Yellow Boy and two Rodeo II's in that caliber. I raced Oldsmobiles instead of Chevys, Pontiacs or Fords. Don't like to have the same thing as everyone else, like to try to beat them with something they don't prefer. The .44 special is an exteremly accurate round, I use 180 grain bullets with light Trail Boss loads. It has a tiny bit less recoil and expense that .45's. In addition, .44 caliber ammunition predates .45 so in my mind, its the best.
General Edward Burleson aka Starr Kealhofer
Indian Fighter and Republic of Texas General
SASS # 69766

Offline Christopher Carson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 06:51:36 AM »
Hody all,

Roy

Depends on what you'll be hunting.  Scrawny Appalachian whitetail (for example), take your pick, get close, good bullet placement.  Larger corn-fed deer, big hogs, or slightly longer ranges, you probably gotta load up (which suggests heavy .45s or .44 Mag thumpers instead).

If you also care at all about authenticity, neither round was chambered in rifles until very recently.

-Chris

- Christopher Carson, SASS #5676L
A Ghostrider... Captain and Chief Engineer of the coaster "Ranger"; previously scout for the Signal Corps, Army of the Potomac, range detective...

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 08:18:29 AM »
Honestly, if they're loaded about this same you'd likely never know the difference when pulling the trigger.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 02:56:11 AM »
"I don't always shoot Rugers, but when I do I shoot .44 Special."

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 07:13:54 AM »
If you use factory ammo, .44 spl is even more outrageously priced than .45 LC.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 01:30:55 PM »
Fox Creek Kid:

Nice ad, Pard!  ;D
FUNNY!!

Mustang Gregg
(Who also shoots them .44's)
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline COLT_45_SAA

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 08:41:14 AM »
One more for the 45 in my Montado.....

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »

45 LOOOOOOOONG Colt  all the way
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com