Author Topic: Lee Van Cleef Movies  (Read 28877 times)

Offline Frank Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lee Van Cleef Movies
« on: July 04, 2005, 09:38:13 AM »
For the long holiday weekend, I bought several western dvd's to watch, including a trio starring Lee Van Cleef.

I had never heard of any of them, but they came as a set called "The Spaghetti Westerns Collection". The three movie titles included are "Death Rides a Horse", "Kid Vengeance" and "God's Gun".

I like Lee as an actor, especially in westerns. He always seemed to be the most believeable character in the movies that he co-starred in with Clint Eastwood, and I wondered if these would be any good.

I've watched "Death Rides a Horse" and recognize many of the Italian actors from the "Dollars" series. The movie reminds me of the short you would see before the real movie, only it has had scenes added to make it longer. The story-line was fine though predictable, most of the acting was good, but as I said earlier the scenes added in to make the film longer only caused it to be a little dis-jointed.

You could tell it was trying to be an arty, Italian film while including western reallism. Lee's character was not unlike some of his other roles, and he played it well. The movie also features John Phillip Law.

I give it 2 ½ out of four bullets, due to the editing, but would still recommend it for Lee Van Cleef fans to see at least once.

Reviews of the other two will follow.
Frank Dalton
US Deputy Marshal
Indian Territory
SASS# 54716L
USFA CSS# 59
GAF# 360
STORM# 268
Perge Scelus Mihi Diem Perficias

Offline Whiptail Moses

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
Re: Lee Van Cleef Movies
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 10:54:04 PM »
thanks!

That one has been on my list.  You cant go wrong with van cleef.

... actually you can, and horribly so, but its rarely his fault  ;D
'Whiptail' Moses Byron Ames

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 09:34:01 PM »
I've always liked this movie, but thought John Phillip Law's acting was just a little over the top.  ::)
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:30:28 AM »

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 04:51:18 PM »
Does anyone know the name of the Van Cleef film where he wore a wolfskin coat? I remember nothing else about it, but that was one fine-looking garment. Some Van Cleef trivia: He was offerred the role that Lloyd Bridges eventually played in "High Noon" but the producer said he'd have to get his nose fixed and he refused. As for the acting being over the top, it had to be a little broad because those movies were filmed without sound. All the sound and dialogue were dubbed in later. This way multinational European casts could speak their own language. Van Cleef said the noise and uproar on an Italian set drove him crazy. He was used to the tomblike silence of a Hollywood set. But he loved the Spanish horses, which were spirited steeds, not the docile nags used in American films.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 12:01:43 PM »
Does anyone know the name of the Van Cleef film where he wore a wolfskin coat? I remember nothing else about it, but that was one fine-looking garment. Some Van Cleef trivia: He was offerred the role that Lloyd Bridges eventually played in "High Noon" but the producer said he'd have to get his nose fixed and he refused. As for the acting being over the top, it had to be a little broad because those movies were filmed without sound. All the sound and dialogue were dubbed in later. This way multinational European casts could speak their own language. Van Cleef said the noise and uproar on an Italian set drove him crazy. He was used to the tomblike silence of a Hollywood set. But he loved the Spanish horses, which were spirited steeds, not the docile nags used in American films.

I don’t recall the name of the movie with the wolf skin coat, but I think the horses you are referring to are the Andalusian.  It has a way of carrying its head, and a gait that is pure pleasure to watch. :) ;D   However, I would definitely not refer to the horses used in American films as “docile nags”!!!!!  :o
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 09:35:59 PM »
Guess Van Cleef had high standards for spirited horses. Maybe he didn't actually say "docile nags," it's been many years since I read that interview, but he definitely said that the Spanish steeds were far more challenging than the Hollywood variety, and that was how he liked them.

Offline Frank Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 08:06:19 PM »
Well I did watch the other movies and they were not up to the standard of "Death Rides a Horse". Still, all in all, if you're craving some spaghetti, try them out.
Frank Dalton
US Deputy Marshal
Indian Territory
SASS# 54716L
USFA CSS# 59
GAF# 360
STORM# 268
Perge Scelus Mihi Diem Perficias

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Come sit by the fire and I'll tell ya a story.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Author-Member Western Writers of America
    • Walt Lange Word Slinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 08:45:51 PM »
Personally I always preferred him playing the heavy in all the old "B" Westerns,,,and he was in a whole bunch of them.
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 12:09:37 PM »
My favorite Van Cleef role was Col. Mortimer in For a Few Dollars More ; didn't noticed until The Good, Tne Bad, and The Ugly that h'es missing a part of one finger, or was that a stand in? Seem to me he also did a short lived TV ninja series, Called "The Master", as I recall. It was pretty good, except for the infernal surfer style background music. Anyone recall it?
"If you can't be part of the solution, at least don't be part of the problem"
"America is too great for small ideas"
"Trust in The Lord, but keep yer powder dry"
"America bless God"
 "There ain't no sucha thing as a free lunch!"

Offline Yankee John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 08:16:55 PM »
Lee was also in "Escape from New York" with Kurt Russell, Donald Pleasance, Isaac Hayes, and Adrianne Barbeau (Oh yeah!). 

Even though it wasn't a Western- It was classic Lee Van Cleef!

John

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 12:35:04 PM »
My favorite Van Cleef role was Col. Mortimer in For a Few Dollars More ; didn't noticed until The Good, Tne Bad, and The Ugly that h'es missing a part of one finger, or was that a stand in? Seem to me he also did a short lived TV ninja series, Called "The Master", as I recall. It was pretty good, except for the infernal surfer style background music. Anyone recall it?

Tom

Lee Van Cleef was an accoutant after the war.  I'd hate to have to tangle with him after running costs up!  He lost the bit of finger in a woodworking accident.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 09:13:01 AM »
Thanks Trinity, don't know why, but every time I watched GBU it got me to wondering if that was really his hand or not since I hadn't noticed it before. Much obliged.
"If you can't be part of the solution, at least don't be part of the problem"
"America is too great for small ideas"
"Trust in The Lord, but keep yer powder dry"
"America bless God"
 "There ain't no sucha thing as a free lunch!"

Offline Riot Earp

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 01:23:37 PM »
Yes, he was building a playhouse (or something similar) for his daughter and uh ... missed.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 02:18:37 PM »
He also played one of Lee Marvin's 'sidekicks' in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance! one of the best JW and JS westerns IMHO.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Judge Roy Bean

• Judge Roy Bean (U.K)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • www.laredo.org.uk
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 04:16:37 PM »
Did he not have something wrong with one of his legs, an old war wound?
You notice more in the graveyard  shoot out iGBA.
Texas & Miss Lilly.
  shoot"em"first hang "em" later.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 09:05:41 PM »
Did he not have something wrong with one of his legs, an old war wound?
You notice more in the graveyard  shoot out iGBA.

I pulled that disc out to watch it a few months back and misplaced it. ::)  Now I must find it to see what you're talkin' about. 

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 11:37:40 AM »
Does anyone else remember Lee playing a Mongol in "The Conqueror" with John Wayne as Genghis Khan? At least he could look the part. It was one of the most hilariously awful films ever to come out of Hollywood. Even the Duke could strike out. It may have also contributed to the deaths of many cast and crew members. It was filmed directly downwind from a nuclear test site in Nevada and everyone involved remembered how dusty the location was. Many, including Wayne, eventually suffered and/or died from cancer.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 11:46:01 AM »
That seems to be the accepted theory. However I've also heard that the very sand in the area of where the filming was taking place was impregnated with nucular matter. Score another one for "Big Brother!"
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 07:11:57 PM »
The Movie where Lee Van Cleef was wearing that jacket was "Captain Apache" made in 1971.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 07:58:33 PM »
What jacket? 

Never mind.  I looked back and read the question from 2006.  Better late than never, I guess. :D

Just the mention of that movie should be saved for the "worst movie" thread.  Heck, maybe we should make a "Worst Theme Music" thread.  LVC sung that theme song. :P :P :P :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com