Author Topic: TFS & NCOWS  (Read 7910 times)

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
TFS & NCOWS
« on: July 02, 2005, 10:17:23 AM »
As most of probably know The Frontier Spot is back.  So far we don't have a forum there.  Over the past couple of years TFS NCOWS forum has become kind of an unofficial meeting place for us NCOWS members.  Since I moderated both TFS and Cas City NCOWS forums I don't have a preference but I thought some might like to have  most of our NCOWS activity here.

Both El Cajon and Marshal Halloway have been very kind to us and I certainly don't want to diminish the amount of activity on either.  The least we can do is if and when we get a NCOWS page on TFS we double post like St George suggested a while ago.

Any thoughts?

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: TFS & NCOWS
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 10:59:02 AM »
Thats my plan on any threads I start.  I don't want anyone to take this wrong, but it seems to me  that many folks come over to Cas-City only when TFS is broke.  That is hard for me to understand.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 12:54:26 PM »
Joss, maybe we need to promote Cas City while TFS/NCOWS is down.  Perhaps people will get "comfortable" with this forum. ;).

If we contact all the peole that participated in TFS forum that we have in our address books and ask them to check out Cas City we might be able to get things fired up here.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:20:22 PM »

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 01:46:27 PM »
John, I guess I don't use or know about the click and drag thing or what you mean about double wiping.

As for the feature regarding notification of new posts at TFS, if you scroll down below the new message box where you write your reply you will see 4 boxes.  Just click on "Notify me when a reply is posted" and you will get notified.  Bet you feel pretty silly now don't you pard ;)

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 05:48:17 PM »
John, I am glad you didn't take offence.  I was just trying to help. ;)

I'm not very cpmputer savy either.  Some think because I am a moderator I am a computer wiz.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 05:54:02 PM »
I don't see any differance at work, at hom on my coaloil powered one hooked up to a barb wire fence Cas-City is more friendly.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Lars

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 07:35:46 PM »
Will,

Think you should put a NCOWS section over in Scandinavian Western Shooters part of CAS City, in Norwegian and/or Swedish, of course. After all, so many folks from there settled in NCOWS territory.

Lars

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 07:45:20 PM »
I believe it was Ben Franklin that said:  "If we don't hang together, we will hang separately."  Guess here is as good a place to hang as any.  Maybe Lone Gunman needs to post a link to this site as well as TFS.
French Jack

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 09:51:32 PM »
I made the 'double-post' suggestion in order to reach more NCOWS folks, since TFS seems to have one audience and CAS City a slightly different one - with relatively little cross-over.

Either system is easy enough to work - as far as I'm concerned.

When you think about it - about the only time there's any 'real' traffic here at CAS City is when TFS goes down - and then - there's always 'someone' watching that site like a buzzard circling - ready to report any activity so folks can bail away from here as fast as humanly possible - like they'll get a prize to be the first to sound the alert and post.

Somehow - it doesn't seem quite fair - given Marshal Halloway's patience and all.

The 'reawakening' of TFS - this time - with the re-registering on the site - and the fact that so much information was irretrievably lost - along with the inflated post counts and ranks - may see a wholly different TFS, since 'equality' will suddenly be the watchword, and perhaps there'll be more questions from new folks who may have been somewhat intimidated to ask the old hands, or maybe participation from otherwise 'retiring' types when they see that - in essence - all involved are starting over.

I think it'll be interesting to watch unfold.

Keeping a foot in both campfiress is always good for general information - but double-posting would share that information with others - especially if it deals with real information on our chosen time frame.
In that way - both sites then become 'archival'.

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005, 11:00:45 PM »
Lars, I'll have to leave that up to you and the Marshal.  My Norwegian leaves much to be desired.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2005, 11:13:46 PM »
I think your two comments - one on 'sincerity' and the other on 'stirring' hit the nail squarely.

TFS does seem to have a larger number of folks who take pleasure in purposely ruffling feathers in an Old West form of 'drive-by', and CAS City's folks seem to be more 'serious' in their approach to NCOWS and in their dealings with people.

Maybe if 'researched' information gets into both it'd be better than merely 'conversation continuance'.

Like I'd said - those posts would be sort of 'archival' in nature.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 02:41:21 PM »
Perhaps we should post the true informational posts over here on Cas-City and post the silly bickering posts on TFS. ::)  A bit tongue in cheek,  but I plan on posting any posts of a historical information type on Cas-City, TFS and if I think they need to be, on Cas-City Historical Society.  If they involve food history they will also go on Brimstones "Period Cooking" site.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 06:02:47 PM »
  Shucks, Del,
I'll bet you have a multitude of recipes that utilize a deceased equine.  I wonder what means of tenderizing besides the well known and highly recommended flagellation are used?  Some of us are getting a bit long in the tooth to have to masticate jerkified hoss. 
If you are going to switch to groundhogs, I know where there are some hanging on a fence or two, getting cured to whang leather.:D  :D
French Jack

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »
Double posting doesn't seem like a bad idea, from a historical note though El Cajon and a couple of the first moderators on the Spot were banned from the SASS wire just for starting the Spot up.  Also the Spot has always been a little more open about letting folks discuss the big organzation's bad decisions....
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 09:38:24 AM »
Well, I am glad this forum is available for us, but I also think the Spot is easier to navigate about on.

I'll keep checking both, but once we have an NCOWS forum going again on the Spot, that will be my "hang out."

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 11:02:04 AM »
FYI:

The NCOWS Forum is back up on TFS.

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 11:05:33 AM »
I'll be double posting any NCOWS threads I start.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005, 12:36:04 PM »
Howdy folks!

I hope you understand why I won't involve myself in a TFS vs Cas City for a NCOWS board or other special interest boards.

Cas City's goal is to be open and friendly and to promote our sport regardless of organizations and interests. I don't take anything personally regarding decisions for and against and have never done it. For me this is all about promoting the sport and to create friendship. I don't hesitate to link to TFS and SASSwire (see on top of this page) because I consider them good neighbours. Then I leave it to the users to decide where they want to spend time and post.

It takes a lot of time and effort to keep a site alive and running, but it takes nothing to tear it down. I know how that felt 3 years ago when my site was down, not because the site crashed..... I did... I was sick for about 3 months. It took me about a year and a half to get the site back up to normal traffic, not because information was lost, but because people found the site not interesting and rode off to other territories. The moderators also did a good job getting people back to town, but this is how internet works, this is how we all act and that is why I have given El Cajon full support in posting status quo in Cas City.

Anyhow, it is the NCOWS users who have to decide what is the best site or sites to promote their organization and activities. It takes little effort to cross link NCOWS, TFS and Cas City and by that have the best of all three worlds. That is step #1 for all of us.

NCOWS are linked up in different sections in Cas City. See QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE at
http://www.cascity.com/getstarted.htm as an example.

What I can do additionally to help is to add an extra link directly to the NCOWS board on TFS from this board, so it will be easier to navigate also for newcomers.

When it comes to posting or not posting in Cas City or TFS....folks, that is all your call.

Have fun and don't get your spurs tangled up.
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005, 01:03:10 PM »
Marshal, that is certainly one of the most fair and well said postings that I have seen in a long time.  I wish to commend you for your hospitality and efforts to keep this site up and running.  I agree with you, I do not wish this to become a contest, and there is no need for it to even approach that point.  I enjoy both sites and will continue to frequent both.  Thanks again for your open handed and hearty welcome.
French Jack

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2005, 06:35:35 PM »
I guess I never seen in the begaining that this was a Cas-City vs TFS post, I seen it as a way to get good information out to more folks.  But some seem to want to turn it into that.  Myself I have an absolete computor on dial up at home and a highspeed on broad band at work.  I see no difference in how the boards work on either, but then I'm just a cosie that never was on-line till Feb of 2004, so I must be missing something here.

And I thank the Marshall for having this board I hope it never ends of being a  ####### match over here  because I log in to enjoy things. 

As for dead horse just use a beef recipe, where it says dead cow sub dead horse. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com