Author Topic: cap and ball revolver conversion legallity  (Read 5925 times)

Offline rep1954

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
cap and ball revolver conversion legallity
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
I live in the state of Michigan and I can order a cap and ball revolver and have it sent to me by UPS or Fed-X. I can also order a cartridge conversion cylinder for the same revolver and have it sent to me also. Now the idea I get from the websites that sell such conversion items that it is legal for me to install the cylinder in my cap and ball revolver and use it. Yet as I have found that if I want to order a cap and ball revolver that already has a conversion done to it I have to get a purchase permit and send in the registration cards after the purchase. Is what I have stated correct or am I misunderstanding something? I'm not really looking to get into whats fare or not but just whats the legal way to go about the whole conversion cylinder thing as I am thinking of purchasing a conversion kit.

Offline Raven

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ravens Roost Gunsmithing
  • Liked:
Re: cap and ball revolver conversion legallity
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 11:25:28 PM »
Federal law allows you to convert the revolver.
But you must also comply with your states laws!

Raven

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 11:59:30 PM »
Howdy Rep,

You can indeed order the two separately with no legal requirements in Michigan. 

Panhead Pete (who lives too close to Detroit.....)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:15:13 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:49:24 AM »
You can in fact order a C&B revolver and conversion cylinder separately.  You can drop the cylinder into the C&B and shoot it that way.  You cannot ship it anywhere with the cartridge cylinder "in the gun."

If you cut a loading channel in the side of the frame, you have manufactured a firearm.  Legal for you to do for yourself.
Once you have "manufactured" the firearm for yourself, it is yours forever.  You cannot transfer it to anyone for any reason.  The only way to get rid of it is to destroy it.

That's the federal end of it.  For your particular state ....... I don't have a clue.  Suggest you look it up.

Coffinmaker

Offline Raven

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ravens Roost Gunsmithing
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 05:57:58 PM »
It is a common misconception that you cannot sell your converted firearm.

The facts are you can sell it.

You must comply with state and federal law. Depending on your state you can sell it to another state resident with out paper work or if you live in California you will be required to sell it through an FFL. If you sell it out of state it must go through an FFL.

I have an FFL and have sold several of my conversions on form 4473's and have discussed such sales with ATF. They have expressed no concerns!

The big difference between say a conversion revolver and a home built AK47
The conversion revolver has a serial number and manufacturers address while the home built AK47 may not have either and that worries FFL holders

Don't take my word or anyone else's word for it!
If you really want to get it right call ATF and ask them.

Raven

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com