Author Topic: New to Black powder ROAM  (Read 2057 times)

Offline cminzey

• Cougar Chuck
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New to Black powder ROAM
« on: October 09, 2010, 07:01:18 PM »
Can we use  jacketed bullets in these guns or does it have to be ball, And what do you recommend for a  cartridge conversion
chuck

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New to Black powder ROAM
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 12:22:41 PM »
Yeah I know, late reply 4 months later.............

I have a pair of stainless ROA's fixed sight and kirst cartridge conversions.
Instead of the lead ball, I use the older mold from Dick Dastardly.  Its a Lee 200 grain conical big lube bullet with about 32 gr pryodex rs.  Works great.

The thing about using a cartridge conversion unit.  It changes the legal status of the gun from black powder to modern.  When I 1st recieved the cartridge conversions, I used my typical SASS load of 5.2 gr titegroup with a 200 grain RNFP.  Its a light load.  But then again if I'm gonna shoot that load, just use my vaqueros.   I have a black powder cartridge load of the same (32 gr pryodex / 200 gr big lube bullet - WLP primers.)  Gives it a big bang.

I would't us modern powder in it again.  Not knowing the strength of materials.  So I reserve it for what it was made for.  Black Powder.

As far as jacket bullets.  I'm inclined to say forget it.  They won't swage into the cylinders, plus probably too rough on the gun.
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com