Author Topic: Fillers  (Read 16080 times)

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fillers
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 04:53:40 PM »
To the clowns;
 Just how much powder do you think you are loading????
 I load 20 to 22Grains of triple F which even with a ball leaves the cylinder less than 3/4 filled.
 If I understand common sense, you do not fill the chambers with triple F and be anywhere near the safety margin built in by the manufacturer!
 ZVP

Serious response - it is common knowledge that you can fill the chamber of a modern reproduction steel C&B revolver's cylinder with real blackpowder, seat a soft lead ball and safely discharge it - probably until you've worn out the rifling.  From your comments, I doubt if you are shooting 'Walkers', but that is one revolver that few people fill to the maximum.  Brass framed revolvers are a special consideration as well, but that is a different matter.

I don't know who has been filling your head with their expertise on blackpowder shooting but you would be well advised to disregard them and listen closely to what the "clowns" here are telling you!  Powder, lubed wad, ball; - - - or listen to Dick Dastardly's advice.

In a lighter vein - I have been told that I need to get more fibre in my diet - should I be using All Bran as a filler?  ::)

Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 05:05:07 PM »

In a lighter vein - I have been told that I need to get more fibre in my diet - should I be using All Bran as a filler?  ::)

Nope, if you need fiber go get 3 feet of rope, cut it into bite sized pieces, cover with molasses, or maple syrup and eat it.  Plenty enough fiber to get you up to do what needs to be done. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 05:33:53 PM »
Nope, if you need fiber go get 3 feet of rope, cut it into bite sized pieces, cover with molasses, or maple syrup and eat it.  Plenty enough fiber to get you up to do what needs to be done. ;)

That better not be any of that "hemp" rope  :o  Not lookin to get that sort of 'up' !   ::)

What about sisal rope ?  I've heard tell there is stuff out there to help you up your ' sizel '   ;D
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:12:10 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 05:42:16 PM »
That better not be any of that "hemp" rope  :o  Not lookin to get that sort of 'up' !   ::)

What about sisal rope ?  I've heard tell there is stuff out there to help you up your ' sizel '   ;D

Well I changed my mind, how about some fried cabbage and bacon, lots of slightly greasy fiber, if that won't work nothing will. ;D

Stuff is pretty filling also.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Percussion Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 07:08:06 PM »
Professor Marvel...................While I was out filling my cylinder and having fun blowing smoke. I didn't know you were here backing me up. I do appreciate it.

At my age I need all the filler I can get to stay a regular Pard. I sure wouldn't waste it in my guns. ;D
Pete

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 07:57:54 PM »
Professor Marvel...................While I was out filling my cylinder and having fun blowing smoke. I didn't know you were here backing me up. I do appreciate it.

Ah My Dear Pete -

We can see from his earlier postings here in our fair city that the gentleman was quite polite & etc.

I am reasonably certain that the slight unfortunicity  in this thread  could be due in equal parts to misunderstanding, misconceptions, a certain amount of misinformation, unfamiliarity with the netizens here, lack of awareness of the nature of this fair city and our perclivities and jolliness, and general youthfulness (for a 55 year old guy) or other noobiness vis-a-vis the BP world .

To be fair, he was actually expressing concern for safety.

However, To quote Rooster Cogburn "No man likes to be called high smellin and low down".

Why, I myself have been known to fly off the handle upon occasion, and afterwards felt downright dejected and was overcome by the sorrowfulness and karmic burden of it all and felt the overwhelming need to appologise and plug the holes created and return the body parts that had somehow become ... dissociated..   :o  ;D

yhs
prof "lets all just be friends again" marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 08:08:44 PM »
ummmm,

ooops

prof not so marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Percussion Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 08:32:44 PM »
In my younger days I would have thrown back an insult.

I've learned in my old fartness it does no good, and I now let others figure out who's Black Bart, and who's the Lone Ranger.

Hi Ho Silver and Away...........
Pete

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 10:51:49 PM »
ZVP, I have not been on the forum for a while and just read your posting. I must say that the men you called clowns are some of the most knowledgeable around when it comes to the black stuff. I fired my first BP revolvers in 1970 and when I started doing SASS shooting these clowns provided some needed information.  You have the right to diaagree but it can be done like a respected man and not some one who has no compassion for his fellow members. From your statements I would put you as being younger than most members and maybe not had enough time to know as much as one should about BP before stating facts. When I purchased my first 50 cal TC Hawken, all the printed material stated to start with 50 grains of 2F and fire over a sheet. It said that as you added more and more powder to look for signs of unburned powder on the sheet. It stated it could be over 110 grs. When you found it ,you were to stop and start looking for your most accurate load between that starting load and the max load. When I asked about how much to put in my BP revolvers the answer was to the top of chamber.   
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline Wills Point Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 05:09:18 AM »
I do use filler in my cartridge revolver rounds, otherwise the folks at my home club sometimes claim that I'm damaging the targets, even though I am quite a bit below the max velocity. In cap 'n ball stuff, most of them will allow a ball or conical bullet seated down on a somewhat reduced load, so there is no need for filler until we get way low, say for a seven year old kid's first time.

Like Paladin Uk, I don't mind being frugal and I can scoop a whole lot of grits in while loading my .45 Colt to the old United States Cavalry powder charge of 28 or 30 grains of BP into a case. Since few people call the men of the US Cavalry wussies, except of course US Infantrymen, I feel quite comfortable loading those smaller charges. After all, Saint John of Browning used the 28grain BP behind a 230 grain bullet ballistics for the final version of the 1911 pistol load.

I do not wish to start fights here, I just note that there are valid reasons to wish to tone down the velocity or, Perhaps, the muzzle report of our loads, hence filler can be valuable. Sometimes.

Offline Percussion Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 10:54:29 AM »
I had some filler for breakfast this morning. ;D
Pete

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 10:09:11 PM »
Fillers do have at least one valid use in my black powder loads.  I use enough fiber wadding to get the load column height that allows for a nice roll crimp in my scattergun loads.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Fiddler Green

• Top Active Citizen
  • Defender of all things fun!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2010, 09:43:09 AM »
ZVP,

the first thing you'll notice here is that the people that have been shooting cap and ball pistols for a long time don't use fillers; the newbys do. Right of the bat, that should tell you something.

As far as how much? Well, are you going by weight or volume? Who's BP are you using? What gun? So many questions....so little time!

The way I load my .44 cal guns,  is to fill the cylinders up to within a half inch of the top and then press the ball down. That way, it's not to far down the cylinder and it's compressing he powder. The .36's I fill to about 3/8's.

Now, I don't use wads in my pistols; I cover them with BoreButter. It's cheaper, puts the lube in front of the ball and not behind it. Does not get lub in your powder  and seems to make more smoke.

I don't use gease paint or a round, red nose but if you think it works for you I see no danger in it.

Bruce ;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »
From your statements I would put you as being younger than most members

A good canidate for a week in deer camp with a bunch of old pharts.  Got a young fella at work now could use that. 

A little story, several years ago was up in my dept at work, was talking with an old cowboy, the real kind, must have been at least 70.  Kid from downstairs came up with a question (read that co-worker)  Well he got the answer, good honest one, but he caught just a bit of flack for not knowing it.  (Other times he knew it all)

When the kid left the old timer looked at me and said, "good for you, we had to take that kind of stuff back when we were young from the old pharts.  It made men out of us.  Then he told me we owe it to the new generation.  You know I never just pass on things like that from an old cowboy.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Fiddler Green

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010, 08:08:04 AM »
A good canidate for a week in deer camp with a bunch of old pharts.  Got a young fella at work now could use that. 

A little story, several years ago was up in my dept at work, was talking with an old cowboy, the real kind, must have been at least 70.  Kid from downstairs came up with a question (read that co-worker)  Well he got the answer, good honest one, but he caught just a bit of flack for not knowing it.  (Other times he knew it all)

When the kid left the old timer looked at me and said, "good for you, we had to take that kind of stuff back when we were young from the old pharts.  It made men out of us.  Then he told me we owe it to the new generation.  You know I never just pass on things like that from an old cowboy.

Yep, that's filler!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 06:15:07 PM »
Yep, that's filler!

True story, if you don't believe it your loss. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Fiddler Green

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 10:04:17 AM »
I ment the post was filler.  ;D

Bruce

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2010, 10:50:06 AM »
I ment the post was filler.  ;D

Bruce

OK, I was wrong, we could keep adding it and have enough for a 20 pound Rodman.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2010, 02:50:15 PM »
I have gone to shooting Triple 7 in my .36 c'n'b and use no grease whatsoever. Every fourth stage or so spritz the cylinder pin and down the barrel with moose milk. This on Colt, Remington and Whitney repros. I do not own any .44 caliber. I do use a little bore butter on the cylinder pin before the match.
I figure I am throwing about 17-18gr of fff and seating ball firmly on top. Yes, there is about 1/4" to 3/8" of the inside chamber wall visible, so I am not filling it up. Goes bang reliably and hits the target.

No muss, no fuss, no cuss.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Percussion Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2010, 07:54:55 PM »
No good smells either.
Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com