Author Topic: Is there a market for westerns novels?  (Read 4486 times)

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Is there a market for westerns novels?
« on: September 11, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »
Sure, there are lots of people like us who like to read westerns but do we form a big enough market to keep the genre alive? I've heard it said often that westerns are dead as far as most publishers are concerned.

If there are publishers for westerns, which are the best known? Are there agents who specialize in westerns?

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Is there a market for westerns novels?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 03:29:38 AM »
Sure, there are lots of people like us who like to read westerns but do we form a big enough market to keep the genre alive? I've heard it said often that westerns are dead as far as most publishers are concerned.

If there are publishers for westerns, which are the best known? Are there agents who specialize in westerns?

Any thoughts gratefully received!

I saved all that I read, in the past. I must have a couple hundred on my book shelves.

Bill

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:45:31 AM »
Well Skeeter I've been buying a few western novels here lately. They've proven to be quite entertaining.
A work in progress.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:27:45 AM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:04:11 PM »
My first was published in March 2005, the second in November 2007.  Based on my sales history I could have done better collecting aluminum cans.

The first got very good reviews and there have been less than 2,000 sold.  One movie company looked at it seriously before rejecting it as "too long and with too many little details".
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 11:30:38 AM »
My first was published in March 2005, the second in November 2007.  Based on my sales history I could have done better collecting aluminum cans.

The first got very good reviews and there have been less than 2,000 sold.  One movievcompany looked at it seriously before rejecting it as "too long and with too many little details".
Uh-oh, I'm in trouble! Anybody have any dealings with Dorrance Publishing?
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 01:33:46 PM »
I went with AuthorHouse for my first two.  I learned a lot, but will have Chuck Buchanan / "Charlie MacNeil" at the newly founded Sisley Creek Press do my next one.

I turned Dorrance (and several others) down when I started because I felt they were too expensive for what they offered.  AuthorHouse was the pick of the litter at that time but they have begun to hire youngsters with no business skills, no publishing skills, and no customer relations skills. Sounds rough but that's how I see it from my point of view.

Best bet is still an agent, but one who will take on a new western writer is as scarce as eyebrows on eggs.

BTW, I also joined Western Writers of America.  I feel they are a "good ol' boys" club and they don't seem terribly interested in helping new folks, so I dropped them after a couple of years.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »
I went with AuthorHouse for my first two.  I learned a lot, but will have Chuck Buchanan / "Charlie MacNeil" at the newly founded Sisley creek press do my next one.

I turned Dorrance (and several others) down when I started because I felt they were too expensive for what they offered.  AuthorHouse was the pick of the litter at that time but they have begun to hire youngsters with no business skills, no publishing skills, and no customer elations skills. Sounds rough but that's how I see it from point of view.

Best bet is still an agent, but one who will take on a new western writer is as scarce as eyebrows on eggs.

BTW, I also joined Western Writers of America.  I feel they are a "good ol' boys" club and they don't seem terribly interested in helping new folks, so I dropped them after a couple of years.
Thanks, well if it doesn't work out, I still have my day job and I know where there's a lot of beer cans!
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 05:36:18 PM »
Let us know when it hits the market and I'll buy an autographed copy.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 06:05:17 PM »
Let us know when it hits the market and I'll buy an autographed copy.
You got it! In a few years, ya might even be able to trade it for a cup of coffee!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com