Author Topic: Just a simple Russell knife.  (Read 55148 times)

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just a simple Russell knife.
« on: September 09, 2010, 04:24:15 PM »
While I was in knife mode (after finishing off the fancy knife and stand), I finished a little "made from blank" knife I started last winter.  It was the last of 6 different Russell blanks I'd bought from Texas Knifemaker's Supply 6 or 7 years ago.   I'd polished the blade to 800 or so and used it as a test subject for the "Dixie Instant Antique" browning solution I'd bought for the rolling block project.  If I liked the way the knife came out, on to the gun.  If not, I figured it was a lot easier to re-finish a knife than the gun.... So yeah, who the heck ever heard of a plum browned knife blade?  But I liked the way the steel came out, hung the blade on a nail in the shop and moved on to the gun.

Then one cold night I was feeding the stove and hoping spring would hurry along, and thought some of the hard maple I was burning looked pretty nice in a simple, handsome sort of way.  I trundled out to the unheated garage, fired up the table saw and cut a couple of small planks from a 4" piece of limb wood.  I stashed the wood on a high shelf in the shop to let it further season (it was already almost a year since it had been cut, so once cut thin, it would season pretty quick.)  I finally got around to doing it up the last few days.

So there ya have it, a  "Russell Green River" knife blank of carbon steel, plum browned and scaled with hard maple from my wood pile.

The blade is sharp as a razor (diamond stone followed by a ceramic stone that is about 2000 grit.)  It'll julienne newspaper cut into 1/16" wide strips cut on a bias.  Look out Tomatoes  :)

I made the scales a little thinner on this one than some of my others, and left the back half of em flat so it'll stay put instead of wanting to roll if placed on an uneven surface.  A bit of rocker was sanded into the front part of the scales for comfort.  Sanded em to 800, gave em a couple coats of Tung Oil and a bit of Butchers Bowling Alley Wax.

Just a simple knife, but it'll do.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Just a simple Russell knife.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 04:35:04 PM »
That's more to my liking than so many of the "fantasy" knives I see.  Thanks for sharing.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 04:45:37 PM »
That's more to my liking than so many of the "fantasy" knives I see.  Thanks for sharing.

And far more useful.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:07:49 PM »

Offline James-G

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:16:23 PM »
Nice work the Maple looks good.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 07:16:16 PM »
Methinks your 'simple knife' will be used alot more than the fancy custom knives we see in here ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 04:10:09 PM »
Dandy :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Messerist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 05:02:23 AM »
I like the Russell knives.  I do several a year for family and meself.  You have done a great job on that blade. ;D

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 11:21:07 PM »
Took the old buffler skinner campin with me last weekend,danged if i don't like this style now,them danged old blades mean buissness..Don't know which bled more,me or the steak! :-\ Looks can be deceaving :-X

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Django

• Top Active Citizen
    • SAVOIRE FAIRE
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 12:35:51 PM »
Hi AJ, great looking knife, is this the blank that you used?
Django
http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/product_info.php?products_id=626

While I was in knife mode (after finishing off the fancy knife and stand), I finished a little "made from blank" knife I started last winter.  It was the last of 6 different Russell blanks I'd bought from Texas Knifemaker's Supply 6 or 7 years ago.   I'd polished the blade to 800 or so and used it as a test subject for the "Dixie Instant Antique" browning solution I'd bought for the rolling block project.  If I liked the way the knife came out, on to the gun.  If not, I figured it was a lot easier to re-finish a knife than the gun.... So yeah, who the heck ever heard of a plum browned knife blade?  But I liked the way the steel came out, hung the blade on a nail in the shop and moved on to the gun.

Then one cold night I was feeding the stove and hoping spring would hurry along, and thought some of the hard maple I was burning looked pretty nice in a simple, handsome sort of way.  I trundled out to the unheated garage, fired up the table saw and cut a couple of small planks from a 4" piece of limb wood.  I stashed the wood on a high shelf in the shop to let it further season (it was already almost a year since it had been cut, so once cut thin, it would season pretty quick.)  I finally got around to doing it up the last few days.

So there ya have it, a  "Russell Green River" knife blank of carbon steel, plum browned and scaled with hard maple from my wood pile.

The blade is sharp as a razor (diamond stone followed by a ceramic stone that is about 2000 grit.)  It'll julienne newspaper cut into 1/16" wide strips cut on a bias.  Look out Tomatoes  :)

I made the scales a little thinner on this one than some of my others, and left the back half of em flat so it'll stay put instead of wanting to roll if placed on an uneven surface.  A bit of rocker was sanded into the front part of the scales for comfort.  Sanded em to 800, gave em a couple coats of Tung Oil and a bit of Butchers Bowling Alley Wax.

Just a simple knife, but it'll do.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND STILL HAVE MOST OF IT LEFT
Website http://www.savoirfaire-jazz.co.uk/index.html

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 06:09:03 PM »
Django

Track of the Wolf has them for $9.95.

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 05:06:05 PM »
Now THAT'S a "usin' knife" pard!  And has already been stated, a lot more of these were worn on the belts of frontiersmen, plainsmen and cowboys than any other kind of knife.  I'm a fancier of big Bowies, and have a couple I've put together myself, but this style of knife was the real "user" out here in the West!

Jake

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 10:41:13 PM »
Django

yep, that's the one.  Back when I bought it, they were a bunch cheaper.  I think they averaged about $7.50 apiece then.

I did a "sticker" and a boot knife sheath, and a pacific patch knife, scaled with cocobolo

a buffalo skinner and sheath

a "sheath knife" and a elk suede sheath

and a "camp knife"

The patch knife and the sticker get used daily on my bench, and the others are on a display in my shop, but get rotated through kitchen duty when I cook (Momma don't use "real" knives, because she can't bring herself not to bear down on em like she does on the cheap clubs she uses).
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 04:53:52 PM »
I really like it!  There were far more knives like this carried here in the West than all of the other types..including the big Bowies!  I like the looks of a Bowie knife, but a good "butcher" style blade like this is far more useful on the trail or in camp than a Bowie is.

Jake

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 03:54:19 AM »
How much would it set me back for a knife similar to that one you made?  I'll order the blade and have it sent your way, same with my handles of choice....

What can I say...I really like it. 

Slickshot

1961MJS

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 09:28:48 PM »
Hi

Frankenstein here again (I think I've brought about 5-6 threads back to life this year).     :o

Is the plum brown knife blade period correct to the 1860's through 1900 at all?

I remember my Grandmother's knives being dark carbon blades, but I don't think they were brown.  I have several butcher blades and boning blades that I'm putting together with home grown Osage Orange scales to give to my old scout troop.  I thought I'd brown them so they wouldn't stain so much.

Thanks

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 10:39:37 PM »
My Good Frankenstein  1961 -

I do not recall seeing a carbon knife deliberately browned in any of the museum exhibits that I regularly stalk visit,
or for that matter on the webisphere... Most I have seen were stained by regulat use, such as by tomatoes or potatoes.

that, however, doesn't mean you can't do it :-)

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

1961MJS

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 02:11:14 PM »
My Good Frankenstein  1961 -

I do not recall seeing a carbon knife deliberately browned in any of the museum exhibits that I regularly stalk visit,
or for that matter on the webisphere... Most I have seen were stained by regulat use, such as by tomatoes or potatoes.

that, however, doesn't mean you can't do it :-)

yhs
prof marvel

Thanks Professor

Is the staining more gray, or would cold bluing work?  I'll definitely use the browning on some of the Scout's knives (two for each patrol) mainly because it will look good against the Osage Orange wood for the slabs.

Thanks again.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »

I would agree with PM.
A well used "good" knife may take on a somewhat gray to brown patina , depending on how much usage it gets and of course the amount of cleaning it gets when that usage is finished.
Best I can suggest is to use them and clean them well after use... they will find their own color.
BTW, Osage Orange is an excellent wood for knife handles! Extremely durable in all types of conditions.
I hope this helps.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 06:09:11 PM »
Track of the Wolf has kits on sale as we speak. handle options are stag, walnut or maple.  Years ago I put a similar kit together, and there is no trick to it at all.  All you need are a hammer to set the rivets and an assortment of files and sandpaper to shape and smooth the handle.

EASY-PEASY!    Of course if you want to give someone else free money, have at 'er!

As for darkening the steel, just cut up a few salads and leave the steel unwashed until it is just right. It won't take long!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »
Mustard or vinegar will give a PC finish. However be aware mustar bluing, salads etc will only work on carbon steel not stainless.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com