Author Topic: Sources for 5 oz. Stiff Split?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline TN Mongo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sources for 5 oz. Stiff Split?
« on: December 26, 2011, 11:18:06 AM »
I’m looking for a side of chrome tanned split in 5 oz. thickness.  I don’t want it to soft and stretchy like regular suede.  The manager of the local Leather factory looked at a sample I had left and told me it might be called lace split or apron split.  I bought a couple of big sides at the Leather factory years ago.  It came from a small tannery in Wisconsin which is no longer open.

It has been perfect as a lining for 2 ½ gun belts.  I was able to get several 60” strips from it for long gun belts.  Currently, all I can find is suede that is thinner and seems softer and stretchier.  If any of you know of a source for this type of leather please chime in.   

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Sources for 5 oz. Stiff Split?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 02:57:39 PM »
Mongo...what is wrong with using suede?  Been using it for years and have had no problems with it.  By the way next time you are at the Leather Factory ask Stan about the guy who wanted his gunbelt modified
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Offline Boothill Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • got you in my sight
    • www.boothillbobholsters.dinstudio.se
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 04:17:34 PM »
I agree with Outrider. Suede works great for me to, and you can use it for outher work that you do.
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:58:34 PM »

Offline TN Mongo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:56:53 AM »
Honestly, I've never tried suede.  I had been lining belts with smooth leather forever until I got a request for split lining.  I had these heavy split hides already and they worked very well. 

When you use soft suede, do you have problems with wrinkles?  It seems like you would have to stretch the suede tight when gluing it on to avoid wrinkling.

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 09:29:31 AM »
Tack it down and roll the leather onto it....you kind of pre-stretch it....been doing it for quite awhile
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 06:43:10 AM »
Honestly, I've never tried suede.  I had been lining belts with smooth leather forever until I got a request for split lining.  I had these heavy split hides already and they worked very well. 

When you use soft suede, do you have problems with wrinkles?  It seems like you would have to stretch the suede tight when gluing it on to avoid wrinkling.

I wrap all my belts around an oval trash can while-st glueing.
No wrinkles
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/BIANCHI%20AUTO%20DRAW/BELT5.jpg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com