Author Topic: Sharps case - Ned Buntline?  (Read 5132 times)

Offline Bob R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sharps case - Ned Buntline?
« on: September 03, 2010, 02:17:51 PM »
Hi All,

As I am going through the painful process of saving up for a sharps, I am thinking ahead to have  historical method to lug it. No way am I interested in the pommel loop method of carry in the saddle, and I'd like to use whatever solution I come up with as a range bag for the gun, if possible as well.

In going through the book "Peacemakers", there is a photo of a Sharps, apparently promotionally discounted to Ned Buntline (with the intent of him talking up the product to improve sales for them), and next to the sharps, is a partially visible 'case', which seems to be a little more involved than a typical saddle scabbard, as it has a cover that buckles down over the buttstock, fully encasing the gun.

Has anyone ever seen a photo of one of these cases? (The book intimates they were designed by buntline and made especially for him). That seems to be a pretty cool carry solution for a special sort of gun. If anyone could point me in the direction of seeing phoitos of the extant example, I would appreciate it.

Offline kurt250

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Sharps case - Ned Buntline?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 03:20:28 PM »
the case your talking about used to be made by carman axtill for her model77sharps. they were top quality cases reproduced fron the original the the sharps book. if your interest pm me and i'll look it  up for you. i have two of her cases and 4 of her rifles they were the best. i can send you a photo if you would like. these cases would protect your sharps perfactly. kurt250

Offline Bob R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »
Hi Kurt,

I am very interested in seeing any photos, or learning who can make one. I don't think the Buntline case photographed in "Peacemaker" and the case seen in Sellers book on the sharps are the exact same though. The Sellers book photo shows a Sharps case made for the Sharps company, specifically for the Creedmore matches, meant to be carried by hand with a handle for the purpose.

The case made for Ned Buntlines Sharps (pg 289) was for an 1874 (Serial # 160009 .45 2 7/8 cal, 30" barrel, and double set triggers), and while similar lacks the handle for carry, and seems to lack the pocket for the long range sight case, but has a strap and buckle on the side, hinting it possibly is intended to rig to a saddle like a more conventional rifle scabbard.

They are definitley related beasties, though, and made possibly in the same year, probably by the same company contracted for the creedmore match case. (the Buntline rifle and case invoiced to E.Z.C. Judson, Stamford New York, May 7th 1877).

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:22:00 AM »

Offline Will Sellit

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 08:04:34 PM »
You might want to look at Buffalo Arms Company website and in the search box enter SLRC or SLRCL (pigskin lined).
They say it is a custom made copy of Ned Buntline's original Sharps factory case on display at the Gene Autry museum.
This may help give you some ideas.

Offline Bob R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 05:19:57 AM »
Thanks very much! They do ideed have a copy, and looking at a complete photo, that strap and buckle are a shoulder sling.  I'll have to get one for the range, but use a traditional scabbard on a horse.

Offline Hangtown Frye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 04:26:56 PM »
Gee Bob, nothing wrong with a California Loop on the horn of your saddle, unless you've become allergic to that term "California" (as some folks are  ;)), It actually is a very comfortable way to carry a rifle, especially a long, heavy one.  Of course it's exposed to the elements unless you stick it into a buckskin case and THEN stow it in the loop, but there it is.  (Just don't go riding into the timber with it slung that way...)

I've seen a few period rifle cases wherein the entire rifle is enclosed in it, looking much like the older shotgun cases, with a hard leather form and complete with fitted cap on the back buckling to the body.  However I haven't seen such a thing with straps for slinging to the saddle. I seem to recall seeing a few fully-enclosed scabbards with a closing back flap which were made of soft leather though.  They had loops for holding the saddle-straps, if I remember them correctly.  But I believe that such an item would have been pretty rare, as I only recall seeing one or two of them, compared to the scores of "normal" open-topped scabbards.

Cheers!

Gordon

Offline Bob R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 05:13:08 PM »
I've got nothing to ride in BUT timber up here Gordon! ;D

Offline rustyrelx

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 09:55:51 AM »
Bob R: E Z C Judson is Ned Buntline, Buntline was a pen name. Don
SFC USA ret-2004
76Y,45B,45K,63H
GAF 716

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 10:15:56 AM »
You might want to take this up to the Leather Forum also.  Those guys up there might be able to add more information.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com