Author Topic: A couple of ???'s  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Charlie Montana # 16369 Life

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A couple of ???'s
« on: June 28, 2005, 07:10:05 PM »
I am thinking about buying a long range shooter, 1874 Sharps type, Rolling block, 1885 High wall. Not sure yet. I might even look at an 1886 Winchester. What can you tell me about the pro's and con's of each? 

I am thinking 45/70 or 45/90. Which is better?

Charlie         :-\

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: A couple of ???'s
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 07:29:19 PM »
Neither, the 45-70 has a little less velocity and less recoil.

The 45-90 recoils more has a bit more velocity and the brass costs more along with the powder.

Tain't much else really different, 'cept the originals in 45-90 sometimes have a slow twist rifling for lighter bullets.

The Sharps 45-2 6/10 is the same case as the 4590 Winchester but the Winchester round used 300 grain bullets in most loads, the Sharps used 500 or so grains.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Boston John Doucette

• Wistful Dreamer
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 02:35:56 PM »
Charlie M....

Although the '86 is really a classy lever gun, I prefer to use single shot rifles for long range shooting. I think the stronger actions hold up better than the lever guns... they're also much easier to clean and maintain after prolonged shooting.

I've never been a fan of the Sharps-- no major issues, I just prefer the cleaner lines, weight, balance and handling characteristics of the 1885 Winchesters over all other single shot rifles.
My 405 grain bullet over 70 grains of BP works well out to 450 yards or so... if I shoot beyond that I prefer the 500 grain bullet...

BJD
I love my dogs, I'm real attached to my guns, and I'm right partial to my wife.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:03:18 AM »

Offline Charlie Montana # 16369 Life

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 04:31:51 PM »
Howdy BJD, did you get to Cody this year? I was not able to go this year ( again). I was recovering from Surgery at that time.

If you went, I hope you had a good time. 

Your dancing pard,    Charlie 8)

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 04:58:29 PM »
Of course, part of your decision should be based on how far you're goinjg to be shooting, but if you're going to be shooting Black Powder, strongly consider the 45-70 over the 45-90. Not that there's anything wrong with the bigger cartridge, but everything has been really well researched and documented for the 45-70, and the information is much more readily available, so you'll be much less likely to reinvent the wheel. In addition, components are more readily available and less expensive for the 45-70.

As far as which gun, that's pretty much a personal preference. I went with a Sharps because I like the appearance, and I wanted a double set trigger. Double set triggers are available on some of the other guns, but they are almost standard on the Sharps reproductions.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 06:18:23 PM »
The original 45-70's mostly had 1-22 twists, the longer 45 used 1-18 twists if they shot 500+ grain bullets.

The Winchester 45 rounds mostly shot 300 grain bullets and used 1-32 twist.   This allowed higher velocity at the cost of bullet weight.

As to style of rifle, the 1885 is often considered the high point of single shot black powder rifes.  However it is not leagal in a lot of the long range "buffalo hunt" matches, because it came out after the great hunts for the market.

Also if it matters one can not use it with a pre-1885 personna.

Most of these rifles are fine rifles, but as Driftwood said, I like a set trigger and the Sharps is the rifle of legands. ;D  I love my Pedersoli.  Course I also love my rebarreled 1885 in 22 Hornet. ;D

I forgot to look up the Greenhill Fourmula last night, I'll try to remember tonight. ::)

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com