Author Topic: Only Three Clicks on My Cimarron  (Read 5062 times)

Offline DogSoldier

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Only Three Clicks on My Cimarron
« on: August 06, 2011, 06:11:47 PM »
Hi pards, I've been reading this forum off and on for years but never joined before.

A few months ago, I bought my first handgun--a Cimarron stainless model P. It was a significant portion of my income, but also a lifelong dream.

Now, though I've only ever dry-fired it with snap caps loaded, it has a problem.  >:(

It sounds as if it is only clicking three times, and then the cylinder doesn't lock up. The bolt can be pushed down and doesn't come back up when it is fully cocked. I believe it is the third click, the cylinder lock click, that's somehow getting skipped. The cylinder bolt just doesn't raise into the cylinder whatsoever now.

For the record, I've never fanned the hammer. I got the gun used, but it never had a major problem until today.

Is this something I can fix with diligent and careful home repairs? What could the problem be? Bolt spring, or something worse?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice!

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Only Three Clicks on My Cimarron
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »
The bolt spring as you guessed would be the first thing to check. Easy job to do .
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 10:32:37 PM »
My bolt on one of my Cimarron's broke too a good while ago; it's an easy fix.  I would probably just get one of Lee's spring replacement kits and put them into your gun.  Or you could have someone do it for you.

Slickshot

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:51:31 PM »

Offline DogSoldier

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 09:21:32 AM »
Thanks for the help, pards. I'm gonna get a proper set of screwdrivers today and see how it goes.

I just hope it isn't the hand assembly or something. I never fan the gun, but I practice thumbing it quickly sometimes.

Thanks again.

Offline DogSoldier

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »
Well, I disassembled it--much easier than I thought it would be. I carefully checked every piece, didn't see a single issue on the hand, though admittedly I'm no expert. Nevertheless, saw no bends, breaks, or anything else.

As for the bolt spring, it wasn't broken but it did seem to have lost its spring, as it were. It wasn't pushing the bolt up properly even when I made sure it was at the right angle and snug. I tried to gently bend it into shape but obviously that was a bad idea...my new spring will be arriving from Wolff shortly  ;D

I'm inclined to say the spring was the issue, at any rate. We'll see when the new one arrives.

Again, thank y'all for your help, amigos. I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:01:07 PM »
Howdy

It sounds like the spring broke when you tried to bend it? It looked whole but when you tried to bend it the leg broke off. Not at all uncommon. I had one do the same thing to me a bunch of years ago. Did it break like this? The spring at the top of the photo.

Notice how mine broke right across the spring leg, right at the base of the spring. That is very typical. The spring in question is a Colt spring, but it happens the same way with the Uberti springs. That is the weakness of the old leaf type split bolt/trigger spring.

What usually happens is the spring has a minor defect right at the sharp radius between the two legs. Either a tiny nick, or a scratch. Any defect like that becomes what is known as a stress riser. Repeated flexing at the defect causes a micro crack to develop. Eventually, as the spring is flexed over and over, the crack grows and spreads completely across the spring leg. Just before the spring is ready to break off, the crack has spread across the surface of the spring. At this point, the spring has lost all of its 'springyness". You did not do anything wrong, it does not matter if you were fanning the hammer, you simply flexed the spring more times than it could take. It is the exact same process that happens if you bend a paper clip back and forth until it breaks. When you noticed the bolt was no longer popping up, the leg was ready to break off. When you tried to bend it, it broke.

I was shooting a Colt one day when I loaded it I noticed the cylinder was not locking up properly. I diagnosed the problem from experience and put the gun away and finished the match with a Ruger. When I got home, I took off the trigger guard and the spring was already broken.

You can replace the spring with a new one. Perhaps it will last forever, sometimes they do. My spring broke after being shot for about 7 or 8 years. You can also replace it with a spring made of music wire. Wire springs never break. Unfortunately, I have never been happy with wire springs as they are usually not as rigid as a flat leaf type spring. I replaced that Colt spring with a wire spring simply because it was what I had laying around.

The best thing to do is to very carefully round over the metal with a tiny file or stone right at the radius between the springs. This can be difficult because the opening is so tiny. Carefully polishing the edges of the metal will remove any nicks or scratches that act like stress risers, so a micro crack should not develop in the first place.

Looking back, I first experienced this problem with my first single action revolver, a Navy Arms Cap & Ball revolver that I bought as a kid in 1968. I didn't know any better so I took it to a gunsmith and he replaced the spring. I doubt he did anything other than replace it. Over the years I have had it happen a few times with several guns. It does not hurt to have a couple of extras on hand.

The broken bolt is a different story.

That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline KAL

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 07:47:12 PM »
 Howdy Driftwood Johnson!

I'm still somewhat new to SA. Recently I just cleaned my Model P from end to end and was thumbing the hammer when it locked up. I decided to disassemble and found that BROKEN BOLT similar to what you posted. Your thoughts on how this happens? I have looked for more than a day over the web and your post was first to show anything.  Any and every ones thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Offline Devil Anse Hatfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 08:24:31 PM »
Im pretty sure I have one thats about to fail. Im fresh out of spring kits so its on the oder now. Its one of my main shooters , and its in need of a tune up .  Get it  back in tip top shape for its shooting season again

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 08:25:03 AM »
A broken Bolt...Wow!  That's the first I've seen.

I'm knockin' on wood right about now.

Slickshot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com