Author Topic: Norinco 1911 quality  (Read 8599 times)

Offline Haggis MacGurk

• Apprentice Maker of Big Sooty Clouds
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Norinco 1911 quality
« on: August 25, 2010, 11:33:18 AM »
Howdy folks
                 Been surfing the gun websites, and looking for a cost-effective .45 to play with at the occasional wild bunch match, etc. At one time, I had a Colt Gold Cup Commander with a bunch of toys, but it's long gone now. What I would like to know is:

Who makes a decent repro of the 1911 .45?

I've had the chance to handle the Springfield Armoury stuff, as well as Regent. Haven't seen a Norinco yet, and I'm sure there are others out there. I want something in the WELL-under 1000 buck range, but I also want something with a half decent finish, that isn't gonna need a bunch of work to make it function.

Thanks for any info

Haggis

PS: for those that know me, yes, I will be looking to start a Frontier Cartridge class for Wild Bunch stuff. ;D

Offline Pecos Clyde

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Norinco 1911 quality
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »

The Norinco is a very serviceable 1911, and often you will see them from $400.00 to 600, used. 

Para makes the GI Expert and the Wild Bunch models, both should be found for under 600 brand new.

Armscor, the 1911 manufacturer in the phillipines makes Charles Daly, RIA, ( Rock Island Armory)both are serviceable for WB, and can still be found for under $400 new.

The Taurus 1911 line is good as well, but they seem to be a bit higher in cost.

Certain Springfield models can often be found, NIB for $550 to $600.

If you are ok with buying used 1911's you can find colts and kimbers in the $650 to $800 range every day on the internet auction sites.

There are a couple others that qualify for your "well under $1000.00, but their names escape me at the moment.

As to needing a bunch of work to make them function, I have seen all of those brands listed above come right out of the box ready to go shoot a match, or right out of the box ready to go to the gunsmith for trigger work.  Whatever you buy, if it is new consider that it will need about 400 to 500 rounds fired through it to make a complete assessment of how it is going to function.

I have seen RIA's right out of the box with triggers that were unbelieveably light and crisp  :).  Other new RIA's had terrible triggers...but I have seen the same thing on new colts as well.   :o

good luck with your purchase, and when you do buy the dang thing let us know what you got!!

PC

Offline Haggis MacGurk

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 04:09:52 PM »
Thanks Pecos,
                    I'm really leaning towards the Norinco right now, cuz Marstar has some right now for CDN $349.00! We will see what pans out, and what I can sneak past the wife.(bought a Shiloh this year too, my gun allowance is nearly depleted! ;))

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:09:08 AM »

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:29:49 PM »
I aquired a Nork 1911 this last Febuary in a trade.  Didn't really want it, it's just that it took up less room than the rifle that preceeded it.

I find it to be a decent piece of iron, farily accurate with some Serbian made hardball stuff I scrounged up.  It does beat the empties up some though, but nothing polishing the breechace, and opeing up the ejection port wouldn't cure.  Fit and finish is not bad, and ithas had some xtras put on.  I'm going to see if I can find it a home with a Wild Bunch shooter though, while I do appreciate them, 1911's are not really my thing.

I fail to recall, what kind of Shiloh did you get? 

Offline Haggis MacGurk

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 04:36:12 PM »
I am the proud owner of a #3 sporter,bone and charcoal case hardening, straight grip w/shotgun butt, 30 in #1 heavy octagon in 45-70. Called them in February, and they had exactly what I wanted on the shelf. It was at my house 3 weeks later.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 08:05:26 PM »
That's right.  Remembered you had something posted, but couldn't remember offhand.  I've found BP single shots to be addicting little buggers.  I found my first Shiloh used a #1 Sporter 30" heavy in .45-90.  I was sick about paying that much for a rifle - I'd gotten used to the idea of just longing for one.  I got it home after shooting it the day I bought it, cleaned 'er up, and immediately wanted another.  So I have a Hartford 28" heavy, bone charcoal finish in .40-82 for silhouette coming (it's already paid for as of last week)....  Gets worse, this one is still in the gestation, and I'm picking out rifle #3.  Maybe a CPA, but if Kirk, Bob, and Lucinda announce the 1877 :o, all bets are off.

Sorry or the hijack, my demands are met.

If you're looking for an affordable 1911, then yeah the Norincos are OK, they just need some work to be competition worthy.

Offline Haggis MacGurk

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »
No problem with hijacking here. The Shiloh was my third single shot, and probably not the last. First was a Uberti Highwall in 38-55, then came a custom re-made rolling block in 50-90, then the Shiloh. It's a sickness, I can admit that to myself!  ;D
And yes, an 1877 would be nice, as would one of those Hepburns! Trying to get one of everything may be expensive......

Back to the 1911, at our club(AFS), wild bunch is pretty much a novelty, and a side match event only for now. I want to be the first in our club yo put black powder through a 1911, too!

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 07:31:11 PM »
Apparently BP will make it function.  I read that on the internet so it must be true. ;D  Actually in my opinion all the .45 ACP is, is a rebated rim version of the .45 S&W Schofield.  Which is not far off or the .44 Russian - which is quickly becoming one of my favourite cartridges for a number of reasons.

Offline Haggis MacGurk

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 08:06:50 AM »
I'm a big proponent of the .44 myself....the WCF variety. I've seen other threads on this site where fellas have shot BP through their 1911s with great success. Never know, maybe I'll go back to IPSC for a bit just to make big smelly clouds. ;D(not likely)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 04:27:57 PM »
I would.  A guy just offered me a New Model Russian that needs some TLC.  A target model in .32-44.  If I was a Bullseye shooter, I would have bought it for that sole purpose and shot black in it.  But I dont shoot Bullseye, so I didn't.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 10:58:13 PM »
Haggis:

For what it may be worth, I bypassed the Norinco, despite the price, because I go to the US at least once a year to shoot .... and the BATF will NOT approve a Norinco for the Form 6 Non-Immigrant Alien import permit one must obtain to take firearms to the United States.  So, if you think you might want to attend any shoots south of the Medicine Line in the foreseeable future, that would be a good reason to opt for something else!

I went with the Regent, and have been very pleased with it so far.   This photo shows it with an inexpensive set of "double diamond"-type walnut grips in place of the WWII-vintage GI-type checkered plastic grip panels it came with, to give it a more "WWI and earlier" appearance.  (I also have a flat mainspring housing, with the early type lanyard ring projecting from the bottom, awaiting installation in place of the present arched housing, which will reduce its "1911A1ish" appearance even more ....)

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Haggis MacGurk

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 12:05:49 PM »
Point Taken,
                  I've had a close look at the Regent guns, and for the price, they look pretty good, except for the cheap grip panels. Although I would only shoot wild bunch as a novelty, the ability to travel with ALL my guns is something to consider. Incidentally, Flora, the owner of Wild West Shooting Centre in West Edmonton Mall uses Regent 1911's as range guns with great success. According to her, they stand up better to heavy use than some of the more expensive 1911-type guns out there.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 01:39:56 PM »
Interesting to hear Flora's take on the Regent!  (Wonder what Ken shoots?)

Yes, the Regent grip panels definitely had to go, for my taste - even though they are an attempt to represent the type of panels put on WWII-era US military-issue pistols.  That was no big deal, of course, considering the hundreds (.... thousands? ....) of different 1911 grip styles readily available.  I wanted this particular look, although the quality doesn't hold a candle to the originals on my 1914 Canadian-purchase M'1911 .....
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com