Author Topic: balistics  (Read 5529 times)

Offline Missouri Half Breed

• Livin the code
  • Top Active Citizen
  • every day above ground a good one.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
balistics
« on: August 21, 2010, 03:51:59 PM »
can any body rell me what grn of powder uasing (unique smokless powder ) took a stock round apart weight it and it was about 4 1/2 grn does this sound about right??? useing 230 grn bullit. i forgot to tell ya im shooting aRIA 1911a1
your a daisy if you do

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: balistics
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:11:33 PM »
Sounds about right.  I use 5.0 grains of Unique with a 200 grain bullet.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 05:55:56 PM »
I would refer you to http://www.reloadammo.com/45loads.htm

I havn't seen data for a 239 gr. bullet.  Not very common in this caliber.  Classic bullet is 230.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:36:34 AM »

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 07:21:14 PM »
I used to load lead bullets from 180 gr up to 265 gr for 1911s. First find the minimum load that will reliably cycle your slide. Then you can adjust up 'til you find the amount of accuracy you want/need. You can always go to the powder company for their recommendations, they make the stuff and they best know their powder. Eventually I settled on a 225 gr bullet over Unique.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline WV Scrounger

• Top Active Citizen
  • HILLBILLY
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 10:19:25 PM »
Dont play aroud with "guessing" powderloads...Git a reloading manual...Be Safe ! for your sake and those around you...

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 08:03:21 AM »
can any body rell me what grn of powder uasing (unique smokless powder ) took a stock round apart weight it and it was about 4 1/2 grn does this sound about right??? useing 230 grn bullit. i forgot to tell ya im shooting aRIA 1911a1
Howdy Missouri, just curious ??? how do you know it's Unique powder if it's a stock (factory) round?? You can go to the Alliant web site for thier reloading data, however the last time they upgraded thier data they let Speer do it with thier bullets. Turns out Speer doesn't have the greatest bullet selection so the data is limited at best. You can always call Alliant with any questions, they are more than happy to help. As for the 4.5grs with 230gr lead bullet,
From Alliant's data.........5.8gr Unique @ 849fps 230gr lead, from 4.4'' barrel
Lyman's 48th Edition......5.5gr @ 695fps  225gr lead RN, from 5'' barrel
Richard Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd......5.0gr @ 790fps 230gr lead, power factor 181
From Richard Lee's data, I would start at 5.0gr, and give Alliant a call to see if it's safe to reduce by 10%, or 4.5gr. I had to call them for some info on Red Dot and they were very helpful.  Maybe you can find a pard with a chronograph and do a little testing. However IMHO, a couple of good reloading manuals is a must for every reloading bench, I strongly suggest picking up a couple. Good Luck
Richard Lee's Modern Relaoding
Lyman 49th Edition
http://www.alliantpowder.com/

PS; you had also asked a question over at the Shooters Meeting about a 38sp load, several of us replied, what ever happened with that one??
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,33251.0.html

PSS; if anyone has the old Red Dot or Alliant publications I would like to get a copy, PM me please. Thanks

Jefro
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

• Livin the code
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 08:36:10 AM »
Sorry if i wasent clear im useing unique for re loading it was a RWS round i pulled apart and have no idea what they were using but the granule constisty of both powers semed to be the same. thank you all for the input. i have come to the conclusion that im going to load 5 grn for lead bullits and 6 grn for self defence fmj.  And as fare as the 38 spl loads im using 158 grn round nosie with 5 grn powder workes well in all my 38s
your a daisy if you do

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 11:20:21 AM »
Sorry if i wasent clear im useing unique for re loading it was a RWS round i pulled apart and have no idea what they were using but the granule constisty of both powers semed to be the same. thank you all for the input. i have come to the conclusion that im going to load 5 grn for lead bullits and 6 grn for self defence fmj.  And as fare as the 38 spl loads im using 158 grn round nosie with 5 grn powder workes well in all my 38s

I hope you are joking.  ??? Every loading manual I have ever read cautions against trying to identify powder by how it looks.  You really need to invest in at least one good manual and the above suggestions are good, particularly the Lyman  49th Edition.  Of course it's your gun, your hands, and your eyes so you do what you want  ::)   The very least I would do is call Alliant as suggested.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 03:47:16 PM »
Sorry if i wasent clear im useing unique for re loading it was a RWS round i pulled apart and have no idea what they were using but the granule constisty of both powers semed to be the same. thank you all for the input. i have come to the conclusion that im going to load 5 grn for lead bullits and 6 grn for self defence fmj.  And as fare as the 38 spl loads im using 158 grn round nosie with 5 grn powder workes well in all my 38s
Howdy Missouri, I agree with Will, there is no way to know if that is the same powder or the same recipe. How did you come to the conclusion of 6gr for FMJ?? FMJ what? 230gr? 250gr? 200gr??, just curious. For the 38sp 158gr RN, 5gr of Unique well exceeds any of the three reloading publications I have. In fact it may exceed the 1000fps MAX for revolvers in SASS. I do alot of ROing and this kind of reloading practice scares me at times. For that reason I'm gonna share the published data for 158gr RNFP lead and Unique powder. But I strongly suggest buying a couple of manuals, spend some time reloading with an experianced pard, and find a pard with a chrongraph to find out what your loads are really doing. Alota folks would be surprised what thier load really is after a few hours with a chronogarph. Good Luck.
Richard Lee Modern Reloading
38sp 158gr RNFP lead Unique powder----Low 4.0gr @869fps.............High 4.3gr @ 920fps

Lyman 48th Edition
38sp 158gr RNFP lead Unique powder----Low 4.0gr @ 791fps.............High 4.5 @ 871fps

Jefro
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

• Livin the code
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »
Thank you all for the info and i will be geting a data sheet to do my reloading from hear on out i was loading 158 at 4 grn for cowboy shooting i did load some at 5 grn for not sass shooting. i will drop back to the 4 grn for the 38s once again thanks for the input. being safe is of the utmost concren to me so i will fowllo the advice of the prows the new dies i have orderd for the 1911 come with a shet and a powder spoon so there should be no problems ther
your a daisy if you do

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com