Author Topic: What Do You Carry?  (Read 19768 times)

Offline Rafe Covington

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What Do You Carry?
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2010, 06:34:11 PM »
Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt, its already saved me one time when 5 savages tried to rob me in Baltimore.

buffalohunter
If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead

Offline maarty

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2010, 01:50:41 AM »
I carry my wallet, my car keys, cell phone, ATM card and a well developed situational awareness that precluddes me having to carry a gun!

We're not allowed to carry anything for self defence here and I wish to god we could cause despite knowing how to handle my end of a fight and a bit more and being very aware of my surroundings there are times when having something would make me a whole lot more comfortable.
Especially when you have to go into some of the rougher areas for work and there's a group of young wannabe tough guys hanging round when you pull up. It's funny, the older gang members etc don't worry me, it's the young ones wanting to build a rep that give me the screaming $hits.

In short, if I were in your position and could carry I would and I'd make sure it was something big enough to put a hole in who ever wants a piece of me and keep going right through his whole extended family.

Offline Fiddler Green

• Top Active Citizen
  • Defender of all things fun!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »
And because you carry your wallet, car keys and ATM card, that's a good reason to carry a firearm.

I guess you either missed the part about "a well developed situational awareness" in either case, you probably are more in danger from your own gun then the assalient that you probably won't see anyway.

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 05:20:31 PM »

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2010, 10:59:17 PM »
I guess you either missed the part about "a well developed situational awareness" in either case, you probably are more in danger from your own gun then the assalient that you probably won't see anyway.
Maybe, but situational awareness doesn't make you bullet proof. It just means you'll see it coming.  That is just the way I see it. To each his own.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2010, 08:51:04 AM »
Those that can feel the disturbances in The Force can easily avoid the evil around them. I'll trust more in my proficiency in arms.
In movies and on TV guns are frequently taken away from victims. I guess it can happen in real life but I've not seen it in 33 years of LE work. I have seen a number of people successfully defend themselves with a gun.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2010, 10:48:34 AM »
On the NRA website they have a section "THE ARMED CITIZEN" it's full of real stories about people defending themselves against criminals. Like I said, to each his own.

Offline Doc Cuervo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2010, 04:55:09 PM »
Oh please!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2010, 05:23:02 AM »

best of luck with that "well developed situational awareness" from that "assailant that you probably won't see anyway"

For me I'll trust the 2nd Amendment and my CCW permit.....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Doc Cuervo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2010, 11:23:34 AM »
A well developed situational awareness is indeed important. For the person that is armed, well any person  for that matter, in avoiding danger if at all posible. For the person that is armed, to heighten their senses and to prepare for, "for fight or flight". For those who refuse to arm themselves, when there is no avenue of escape, they are out numbered and un armed, they can be perfectly aware that they are up a $@!# creek without a paddle and they should take that opportunity to  :-* their fourth point of contact goodbye.   ;D

Offline W.T.

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2010, 11:39:15 AM »
best of luck with that "well developed situational awareness" from that "assailant that you probably won't see anyway"

For me I'll trust the 2nd Amendment and my CCW permit.....

+1

now if could just get used to the bulk of this here .38 +P revolver and its inside-the-pants holster...can't say that i much care for anything inside the pants but me...
"The Duck, I sez."
Storm #245
FROCS #5

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2010, 05:57:09 PM »

I would guess you are referring to the Kellerman study that says you are more in danger from your own gun than any criminal. Do you understand that the Kellerman study was debunked and Kellerman himself pulled the results of the study because he was found to have rigged the outcome to favor his desired results?

Sounds like you are a bit of an anti-gunner. Maybe you're hanging around a crowed of people you don't trust in this group. We are all people who know our abilities and trust in our own abilities. I've been a concealed carry person for 30 years now and the only ones who were in danger from my guns are the few thugs who tried to assault me while I was able to hold them off with my gun. It saved my life on at least 3 occations.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Fiddler Green

• Top Active Citizen
  • Defender of all things fun!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2010, 11:24:50 PM »
I would guess you are referring to the Kellerman study that says you are more in danger from your own gun than any criminal. Do you understand that the Kellerman study was debunked and Kellerman himself pulled the results of the study because he was found to have rigged the outcome to favor his desired results?

Sounds like you are a bit of an anti-gunner. Maybe you're hanging around a crowed of people you don't trust in this group. We are all people who know our abilities and trust in our own abilities. I've been a concealed carry person for 30 years now and the only ones who were in danger from my guns are the few thugs who tried to assault me while I was able to hold them off with my gun. It saved my life on at least 3 occations.

I don't know anything abut Kellerman...I know what I learned carrying guns through 6 war zones.

For those that have done that, situational awareness comes first. If you find you wander into those types of situations that require a gun.....you may want to rethink how you got there in the first place. It's great to have a lifeboat...it's better not to sink the ship!

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2010, 11:36:28 PM »
It's great to have a lifeboat...it's better not to sink the ship!

Unfortunatly, sometimes ships get torpedoed. Then it's out of your hands.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2010, 08:35:45 AM »
Oh, like sitting in a college classroom, eating at a Lubby's or standing in line at the bank? Terrorists, criminals and the mentally deranged don't seem to respect War Zones. I've even ran into'm at church.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2010, 08:52:40 AM »
I am a petite female that often has to travel alone.

Situational awareness = I know that cars aren't perfect and that they do break down.  I know that even on the interstate that you can find dead areas where cell phones won't pick up a signal.  I know that there are people out there that would love to catch a small seemingly defenseless woman alone so that they can take advantage of them.  Here I am broke down on the side of the road with no access to a cell phone.  I have two choices.  First I can stay in the car until someone comes to rescue and hope that whoever stops means me no ill intent.  Second I can get out of the car and hoof it until I find a more populated place in which there is a safe place for me to use the phone to call someone to come and get me.  In either case I can either have access to a gun or not.

I'm already aware that I am in a bad place to be and my senses are on alert.  I can either be aware with a gun or without a gun.  Thanks to the 2nd amendment I choose to be armed and in such a case I now have my gun very accessible and ready to defend myself if I need to.

Situational awareness is necessary whether you carry concealed or not.  However, situational awareness does nothing for you when you are aware that the situation just changed in an instance to something that is beyond all reasonable expectations of what the situation should ever be.  Situations such as another student walking into a college and opening fire on his fellow classmates.  A situation where someone pissed at the world walks into a McDonalds and opens fire on random hamburger munchers.

At that point I'm would be very aware of the situation and in that situation I would be very aware that I needed a gun.

I tell people that think about buying a gun to carry or for self defense that if there is any doubt going into the purchase of a gun that they would be able to use that gun to defend them self that that they shouldn't carry.  Let me clarify that by saying that until you are actually put into the situation in which you have to use one that you really can't know for sure what you will do BUT if you have doubts before you ever buy the gun then you're gonna have doubts about using it when you need it and if you hesitate when that time comes then yes, your gun could very well be taken from you and used against.

Yes, situational awareness is a must.

“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Doc Cuervo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2010, 09:35:27 AM »
Oh, like sitting in a college classroom, eating at a Lubby's or standing in line at the bank? Terrorists, criminals and the mentally deranged don't seem to respect War Zones. I've even ran into'm at church.

We had a shooting at a church here in Colorado a couple of years ago or so. Guy killed two or three people untill a lady with a CCW stopped him.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2010, 12:30:53 PM »
Ok, these two topics on concealed carry are getting a bit out of hand.  I've been splitting them and moving inappropriate comments to the outhouse left and right. 

Please kept comments civil, debate the issues, don't call names and do act like adults.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Ragged Earl

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2010, 02:53:50 PM »
Ok, these two topics on concealed carry are getting a bit out of hand.  I've been splitting them and moving inappropriate comments to the outhouse left and right.  

Please kept comments civil, debate the issues, don't call names and do act like adults.

Luckily the lefties shouldn't be a problem for a while come November.

Offline Doc Cuervo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2010, 09:17:06 PM »
Luckily the lefties shouldn't be a problem for a while come November.

:D :D ;D

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2010, 11:25:36 AM »
I don't know anything abut Kellerman...I know what I learned carrying guns through 6 war zones.

For those that have done that, situational awareness comes first. If you find you wander into those types of situations that require a gun.....you may want to rethink how you got there in the first place. It's great to have a lifeboat...it's better not to sink the ship!

Crime happens in good areas too. There is no place you can go where a criminal can't go also. You insinuate that you had battle experence but your attitude comes off as "nobody should ever need a gun to defend themselves". I would have to say that you learned little from being in 6 battle zones or you would understand that you don't have to go anyplace in particular to find trouble and sometimes your "awareness" won't pick up on it until it's too late.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com