Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2018, 10:55:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Leather Shop (Moderators: Marshal Will Wingam, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter)  |  Topic: Show Off Your Non-Cowboy Stuff Here 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show Off Your Non-Cowboy Stuff Here  (Read 252323 times)
Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #800 on: February 11, 2018, 08:26:14 pm »

Johnny is right. You're your own worst critic. The holster looks good. It's hard to make an original design but this is one.  Cool

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #801 on: February 11, 2018, 08:28:16 pm »

Thank you, and you are right. I notice EVERY flaw and mistake, no matter how small and insignificant. My work at best, is only good, normally just ok. I'm really hoping to fix that, and start getting the same results others are getting.

With my lettering, I am pretty well freehanding it, and can't get the detail or the depth. The blade on my swivel knife is too wide, and I end up doing most carving with the knife in the pic. I'm also not sure how deep to cut, or how hard to wack the tools. It looks ok when I'm doing it, then it just goes flat. Considering I have flat destroyed 2 cheap Tandy mallets, and working on chewing up a maul of hickory, I am whacking pretty hard.

Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #802 on: February 11, 2018, 08:34:47 pm »

Perhaps you are getting the leather too wet before stamping. It should be firm and retain an impression easily. You shouldn't have to whack it too hard. On 8-12 oz leather, I usually dunk it for about 10-15 seconds and wait for the color of the leather to lighten slightly before stamping. I do it even less if the leather is thinner. While tooling I keep a spray bottle on hand to wet it if it gets too dry.

As to your swivel knife not cutting deep enough, try it with the leather cased the same way as for tooling. If that doesn't do what you want, then just reshape your blade to have more of a cutting edge to it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #803 on: February 11, 2018, 08:42:18 pm »

I thought it might be a casing issue too. I scrub the leather with saddle soap, and rinse it off without soaking it. I let it sit over night, and get a good burnish with the stamping and beveling. But then it just goes flat.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Live To Fight Another Day

« Reply #804 on: February 11, 2018, 10:09:21 pm »

Nice work and design, thinking out the box some times brings new ideas...

tEN wOLVES  Grin

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Leather Shop (Moderators: Marshal Will Wingam, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter)  |  Topic: Show Off Your Non-Cowboy Stuff Here « previous next »
Jump to: