Author Topic: Wondering About "Working Cowboy"  (Read 6080 times)

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wondering About "Working Cowboy"
« on: May 03, 2004, 07:19:49 PM »
My club which is SASS has a category of "Working Cowboy" for the shooter with only one pistol who reloads on the clock. I'm on shaky gound here, but I'm thinking that Working Cowboy is a NCOWS category. ???

Just wondering how this category got its name? Was it because most Cowboys actually didn't carry more than one handgun? Just interest if there is any real history here. Thanks.
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
Re: Wondering About "Working Cowboy"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 08:01:09 PM »
Kid, yes this is now an official NCOWS class.

This was discussed in March at the Frontier Spot after the NCOWS convention.  this is was was passed: 
Working Cowboy Class uses one pistol and one pistol caliber rifle. You may use smokeless or black powder cartridges. No gun carts are to be used at any time. Pistols can be fired with one or two hands. Working Cowboy will shoot the same stages as other shooters but will omit a pistol, pocket pistol and shotgun. WC (Working Cowboy) will be used in the stage scenarios to give other instructions to the WC shooter on how to complete the stage. You may need to reload one or both of your firearms under time to complete the stage. (Not all stages will have reloads.) All NCOWS rules spelled out in the by-laws on firearms, clothing, and accoutrements will pertain to this class.”

You can read the entire thread at:

http://www.frontierspot.org/viewtopic.php?t=14403

Hope this helps.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 06:28:54 PM »
Will you answered my question. Thanks.. :)
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:36:16 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 11:22:18 PM »
This might be a class for someone who is just starting out in CAS and only has one handgun and one rifle.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 08:42:36 AM »
   Or;  for someone who really wants to recreate the old west in a more authentic manner. Or just dosen't want to use a cart.   jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 11:20:12 AM »
Four or five people shot this class at NTR this past weekend, one was on my posse and they had just as much as the rest of us.... :)
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 12:27:19 PM »
At GLFMC Working Cowboy has become our most popular class the past couple of shoots.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 10:57:39 AM »
How's this for a reply to an elderly post?!

As Dutch said, WC (NOT water closet! ;)) is real popular a GLFMC.  The last shoot I was able to attend was Oct. or Nov.  and my buddy and I, plus 1 other I think, were the only ones NOT shooting WC.  That was out of 10 or 12 shooters.  If Ottowa Creek Bill had been able to attend, there'd have been one more of us shooting all guns.  Bill and I discussed this:  WC is certainly closer to being the "real deal" and helps a lot when space at a range is big.  We don't use carts as our little range;  while it's a good setup, it's not large.

We still shoot the normal (for GLFMC) weapons line up of 1 pistol, 1 pistol cal. rifle, shotgun (mostly hammered doubles - few 97s) and pocket pistol for 2 or sometimes 3 stages.  We've not shot anything needing a reload, but we have nothing against it.  We just love to shoot.

Happy Trails!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Hemlock Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 09:28:38 PM »
Seems that this class might be a good starting point for a newer shooter who doesn't have $$$ for two revolvers and a shotgun.  I just figured it was for those who didn't like the kick of a shotgun  ;D

Mike

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 05:38:58 AM »
It's also a great class fer those of us who have to work on weekends! Only two guns ta clean before we have to head fer werk! :) (Important iffin yer a Darksider!)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 08:53:07 AM »
 Hemlock Mike;
   Thats exactly why my wife has started shooting working cowboygirl.    jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Hemlock Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 04:34:35 PM »
As I recall, we had a pard shoot WC at a small NCOWS shoot last year.  Seems he had hurt his back or some bones somewhere and couldn't take the kick.

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com