Author Topic: Company D 26 Alabama Infantry  (Read 7053 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
Company D 26 Alabama Infantry
« on: July 28, 2010, 06:22:44 PM »
I recently located the grave of my great great grandpa Jesse. On his headstone it says Company D 26 Ala Inf C.S.A.

I have googled the 26th and found some interesting reads. Is there a place where I can view muster rolls and/or pension records online?

Does anyone know what their uniforms looked like?

Thanks for the help.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Company D 26 Alabama Infantry
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:22:50 PM »
Rube
Contact my friend Bill Rambo I've known him a long time ,He knows Alabama Inf.

Brig. Gen. Bill Rambo, commanding,
confedmempark3@juno.com

Another good friend is Bob McClendon in Henderson, Ala. ( Author of the History of the  Ala Cav. )
captcav2nd@yahoo.com

these two guys ooze Alabama CW History
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 11:50:30 PM »
Rube
Contact my friend Bill Rambo I've known him a long time ,He knows Alabama Inf.

Brig. Gen. Bill Rambo, commanding,
confedmempark3@juno.com

Another good friend is Bob McClendon in Henderson, Ala. ( Author of the History of the  Ala Cav. )
captcav2nd@yahoo.com

these two guys ooze Alabama CW History

Thank you very much. I will send them an email in tomorrow.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:43:32 AM »

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »
I too just recently found where my Ggrand father was buried . He served with theCo F 29th Alabama infantry. the 26th and 29th served in the same regiment and fought the same battles if Im not mistaken.
 All our family knew was that he was captured and died in a Yankee POW camp.records show that he was captured at the Battle of Resaca georgia in 1864
 We recently found out that he died on Dec. 25th 1864  in the prison at Alto Il. and was buried there.
 Although many many of the prisoners were just buried in unmarked graves it is my understanding that he is interred in a marked grave.
 the State of Alabama has huge  war records and you can find muster rolls and other documents online.
 Not long ago ,a man in Illinois was selling a butternut Kepi on ebay that had 29th Alabama written in the inside.
 I tried to buy it but he wanted more than I could afford.There was no way I could know who it belonged to but since there were so few of the 29th at Alton the odds were pretty good that Ole Henry D Nix had at least seen the cap.

Offline Cactus Rope

• Cactus Rope
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 05:40:56 PM »
I too just recently found where my Ggrand father was buried . He served with theCo F 29th Alabama infantry. the 26th and 29th served in the same regiment and fought the same battles if Im not mistaken.
 All our family knew was that he was captured and died in a Yankee POW camp.records show that he was captured at the Battle of Resaca georgia in 1864
 We recently found out that he died on Dec. 25th 1864  in the prison at Alto Il. and was buried there.
 Although many many of the prisoners were just buried in unmarked graves it is my understanding that he is interred in a marked grave.
 the State of Alabama has huge  war records and you can find muster rolls and other documents online.
 Not long ago ,a man in Illinois was selling a butternut Kepi on ebay that had 29th Alabama written in the inside.
 I tried to buy it but he wanted more than I could afford.There was no way I could know who it belonged to but since there were so few of the 29th at Alton the odds were pretty good that Ole Henry D Nix had at least seen the cap.

Don Nix
The cemetery that you are talking of is the Alton National Cemetery... Alton, IL. This cemetery has both Union and CSA graves. There are approximately 585 markers.  I live about 15 miles from there and would be very honored to try and find your Ggrand fathers grave.  
NRA * GAF * NCOWS *

"Every oncet in a while, you have to step in it to learn the lesson."

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 10:41:08 AM »
That would be a great kindness!
 I would love to be able to take my grand children up there to see the grave.But it probably wont happen.
 If you could locate the grave, I would be in your debt. 146 years is a long time for  a family to wait.
Thank you

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »
Wow....that would be great if he could find your relatives grave.

Here is my Great Great Grandfather's headstone.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 03:12:15 PM »
I was able to find this out about my Great Great Grandfather and his Cousin;

Private Jesse Jones Wheeler Company D 26th Alabama Infantry

Born January 1, 1822 in Spartanburg District, South Carolina and enlisted December 7, 1861.  Admitted to Chimbarazo on March 3, 1862 out of #9 Hospital due to pneumonia and transferred to Huguenot Springs Hospital on April 13.  Given 60 day furlough to recover from pneumonia and anasarca on October 8, 1862.  Received pay on way home in Atlanta, Georgia on October 11.  Received pay in Columbus, Mississippi on March 21, 1863.  Counted as absent without leave since July 28, 1863.  Died October 10, 1895 in Lamar County, Alabama.

Private David "Newton" Wheeler

Born September 11, 1837 in Fayette County, Alabama and enlisted December 7, 1861.  Wounded at South Mountain on September 14, 1862 and was in Columbus, Mississippi in on March 21, 1863.  Wounded with gunshot wound to left leg partially injuring tibia bone while posted as skirmisher at the Battle of Bristoe Station, Virginia on October 14, 1863.  Admitted to #9 Hospital on October 18 and transferred to Alabama Hospital on October 19.  Given 60 day furlough home to Big Pond, Alabama on October 28, 1863.  Patient in Madison Hospital in Montgomery, Alabama in April, 1864.  Rejoined Regiment and surrendered as member of Company E, 1st Alabama Consolidated Regiment at Greensboro, North Carolina on April 26, 1865.  Applied for pension in Fernbank, Lamar County, Alabama.  Died May 5, 1913 in Lamar County, Alabama .

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Cactus Rope

• Cactus Rope
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:52:13 AM »
Don Nix

Here is info on your G Grandfather.
Photos taken at actual sites.

1) Original prison
2) Remains of prison
3) Plaque @ remains
4) CSA Monument @ Alton Confederate Cemetery
5) G Grandfathers name on monument

I was in error as to the cemetery. He is buried at the Alton Confederate Cemetery, not Alton National.

There were only a few grave markers so this monument was erected in 1909 listing all prisoners buried here. Had he died of smallpox he would have been buried on an island in the Mississippi River.

If you google Alton Prison you can read more on this prison. You will find some of the same photos and other info.

It was a pleasure researching this.

If I can be of further service please let me know.

NRA * GAF * NCOWS *

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 10:22:31 PM »
I cannot tell how much it meeans to me to see that picture. I am eternally greatful to you.
 As far as I know ,I am the first to see this  in our family. My Dada ,who tried many times to find out about his great grand father died a couple of years before i found the info  about where he was held captive. My Dad had business cards made with his name, H.D. Nix
 great grandson of H.D. Nix Co. F 29th Alabama Infantry.
 These photos have made my day. Thank you!

Offline Cactus Rope

• Cactus Rope
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 10:07:53 PM »
My pleasure.

This site has more info and also has section where you can look up deceased soldiers.

http://www.censusdiggins.com/prison_alton.html#Search%20for%20Confederate%20Soldiers%20who%20died%20at%20Alton%20Prison
NRA * GAF * NCOWS *

Offline Wild Billy Potts

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 08:42:34 PM »
Since you asked bout uniforms I can give you some basic guidelines about that was common in the different theatres. In the East, as in Virginia and that area the more common styles would have been the Richmond Depot styles and after late 1863 the Peter Tait contract style would have been seen a bit as well, and maybe if Governor Vance of NC was feeling generous some NC styles would have been seen as well. In the west, ie, KY, TN, AL, GA and MS, any of the above mentioned as well as the Columbus Depot style, Atlanta Depot style and the various Alabama styles were common. The Trans-Mississippi was primarily supplied buy the LA and TX depots. CS uniforms can get quite involved and I am not going to write a novel here getting into them, this is just very basic info.

Pictures of the some styles here.
http://www.crchilds.com/id36.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com