Author Topic: Dead Man's Gun: Schofield  (Read 26348 times)

Offline Joss House

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
Dead Man's Gun: Schofield
« on: July 04, 2010, 01:19:10 AM »
I tried the search feature but didn't find anything applicable regarding this topic, so I apologize if it has already been discussed and I didn't find it.

For several weeks now I've been watching the series Dead man's Gun on the Westerns Channel and have become quite 'hooked' on the series. Being an aficionado of S&W break tops and finding one featured every Saturday night on TV, I felt fortunate when I found an auction site selling the entire series on DVD. Anyone not familiar with it, here's a link describing the series. However, I'm sure I'm just late to the party and the rest of you are familiar with the show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140735/

Now down to the gun in question. Due to time frame of the filming of the series being televised, I'm guessing the Schofield is either an Uberti or Armi San Marco. Plus it has a firing pin on the hammer ruling out a S&W remake of 2000. Could possibly be an original as it's hard to tell. It is highly embellished with engraving and appears to be in immaculate condition. Does anyone have any information on this particular movie gun and anyone else following the series?

Danny Ellison aka Joss house

Offline kcub

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dead Man's Gun: Schofield
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:50:01 AM »
http://www.tvdvdboxsets.com/product.php?productid=38450&cat=263&page=1

I just bought the series here.  I haven't seen it but I'm a schofieldaholic.
It should be easy to determine.  If it has the short .45 S&W (Schofield) cylinder it's a Smith & Wesson. 
If not it is a high end engraved Uberti, assuming they were available at the time the series filmed.

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/engraved_top_break.php
http://www.ubertireplicas.com/engraved_pistol.php

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 10:05:49 AM »
This one was discussed on the old 'Frontier Spot' and it's a clone.

That's all I remember.

If you can find them - 'Trackdown' also featured a Schofield - carried by Robert Culp - and 'The Grey Fox' as well - carried by Richard Farnsworth, I believe.

I also seem to remember one being carried by the Pinkerton Peter O'Meara  in that Tom Berenger series 'Peacemakers' of a couple of years back, and one even showed up in an episode of 'Cheyenne' - being shot by Clint Walker.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:19:14 AM »

Offline kcub

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 10:11:03 AM »
I thought Farnsworth had a Colt Bisley but I may be misremembering.

Offline Joss House

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 12:52:17 PM »
Thanks guy's,

Basically I was hoping someone could shed some light on the guns particulars. I was reasonably sure it was a replica but as with many movie guns there is sometimes a ton of information about make, caliber, who engraved it etc. I just can't seem to find it.

Although I spent quite a bit of time on the old Frontier Spot when I founded the BOSS forum there and again here on CAS City, I don't recall ever discussing this one gun. At any rate, the series has sparked my interest and was just hoping someone out there would have some information to share or at least some opinions about it or the series. 

Thanks! Joss

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 01:21:55 PM »
Joss,

Dual-post this down in the 'Books and Movies' forum, and I'll bet you get more information.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 02:43:06 PM »
Check the credit roll at the end,  I recall a UBERTI USA flag
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 10:19:06 PM »
I distinctly remember reading in a gun rag years ago that it was a clone.

Didn't really care for the premise of the show.  A "magical" gun finds it's way into various hands and makes the individual in it's possession do all sorts of heinous things?  Feeding the "people don't kill people, guns kill people" mentality.

Offline kcub

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 06:31:52 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that.  I thought it would be the Hope diamond of guns bringing the owner bad luck.

Offline Joss House

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 11:06:49 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that.  I thought it would be the Hope diamond of guns bringing the owner bad luck.
Give it a try you may like it. I find he series entertaining. Each segment is completely different with different actors. The gun is the only thing that continues. I've watched about 15 of the 44 segments and have been quite entertained. Of course I was also a big fan of the HBO series Deadwood which was hard to take for some people. Being a retired cop, I don't base my opinion on what some one else thinks.

As for the gun, I have continued to search the internet with no luck. I find it hard to believe that there is no information out there on it. One can usually do searches and find a complete write up with a wealth of information of various guns that were the backbone of a movie or TV show.

Watching the gun being reloaded it appears to be of 45 Colt caliber, the grips are interesting with a butt cap on the end. The initials SS engraved and silver inlaid on the side plate is probably the true owners initials as it doesn't seem to have any importance in the movie. Unless I haven't got to that part yet. It sure seems to take a beating for it to be from someone's personal collection on loan for the movie. Then again, there's no doubt more than one being used and abused.

Offline Joss House

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 02:09:49 PM »
St. George,

If you want, go ahead and move this topic to the other section you recommended. I was just trying to stimulate some activity amongst the BOSS members but there doesn't appear to be much interest.

Thanks! Joss

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 02:16:34 PM »
Joss,

I'll move it and keep my fingers crossed for you.

Did you look through any back issues of 'Guns of the Old West' or 'Shoot! Magazine', by chance?

It would seem that it may've made a cover shot - given it's ornate design.

Incidentally - you have to watch the entire series before the weapon's history is revealed in the final episode.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 08:53:47 PM »
I wont swear to it but I think the initials are GS for George Schofield. It appears to be the Uberti engraved #3 second model with what looks like a custom set of mammoth ivory grips but I also noticed the buttcap and found it curious. As to it feeding the guns make people evil theory stated above is totally incorrect. If you watch the shows you will see that the gun may be evil but it grants certain abilities to its possessor and in the end it comes down to the person whether or not they let the evil consume them. Out of the 14 or so episodes I have watched most have ended with the gun being thrown away or passed on. Just my nickels worth but I like it.
                             RC
"Aint nothing better than riding a fine horse into new country"

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 02:12:23 AM »
I just watched a great episode where a downtrodden gambler learned he could not do anything wrong gambling for so many hours after killing someone. In the movie he is going to back shoot someome just to win at the high stakes poker meet.

He wins the match ... and as he finishes winning, the man his is supposed to gun down (an alcoholic stable worker) stumbles into the bar, and one realized he has done all his winning on his own ... the very last scene is where he gives his intended victim the gun and gets the lady ... so yes, in some episodes the 'good' triumphs .....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 11:08:22 PM »
Hey, St. George! (and everone else)
I have seen some episodes of the show but will probably never have the opportunity to view them all (they only seem to show up on TV here from time to time).  You mention that the gun's history is revealed in the last episode.  Would you be so kind as to fill me in?
Thanks,
CJF 
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 12:43:20 AM »
St George ....

If you do tell him, let him know in a PM or email ... I don't wanna know until the final show ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 05:31:32 AM »
The show turned up on the SPIKE Channel here from time to time..no real schedule, It would be on one Sunday morning and not the next.
It might be back again in 2-3 weeks, sometimes the same show repeated, dang irritating... ::)

yeah... St.George if you do PM the good Capt. with the final twist...fill me in as well please  :)

Also DEADWOOD was not seen as the cable carrier did not offer it !  It did offer the The Oxygen Channel  ::) whoopy ding !

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 09:04:18 AM »
I figured that saying it was revealed in the last episode was 'spoiler' enough.

I'm sure someone will fill you in soon...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 09:17:18 AM »
Incidentally, I believe it comes on late late at might on the Westerns channel on Direct TV ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 10:41:09 AM »
It comes on Encore Westerns channel on DirectTV on Saturday evenings at 7pm EST. At least it does here in Kentucky.
                                                                                                                                                               Regret Chancy
"Aint nothing better than riding a fine horse into new country"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com