Author Topic: M79 Reichsrevolver  (Read 18907 times)

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
M79 Reichsrevolver
« on: July 03, 2010, 08:59:14 AM »
Just looking for opinions.

I have seen a very good condition German Reichsrevolver up for sale.  The price seems not too bad, and the pistol is near new looking.  Apparently orginal finish with some period repairs - the seller is pretty upfront about it.  Was thinking of buying it for a shooter.  I know they are kinda ugly, weird looking, but am more open to the idea that it's a legal antique here in Canada and I can take it out anywhere I can take a rifle.  Also, the less mundane the piece the more I like it.  :D

Ballpark price I might counter offer - it's been for sale for a while.

I'm familiar with the model, historical use, and I figure brass can be formed from .44 Russian using .44-40 bullets.  Things I have in abundance.  Just curious about reliability or breakage issues.

Muchos Gracias amigos...

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: M79 Reichsrevolver
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 10:06:59 AM »
Made before 1898 and ammunition not readily available!  Great concept from our registry, amongst a lot of CRAP!

I have a M83 for the same reason as you.  Yes, .44 Russian cases (Also not-readily available) can be adapted by a careful pass through a .44 Mag die.  Slug the barrel, but I can use unsized  RCBS.44-200-FP bullets at .429.  It will take about 22 gr. of FFFg.  Mine shot very high, so I use a round ball sized to .429 with lube rubbed in the groove between the ball and the case mouth.  Strikes right on at 10 metres.

I'm not sure about parts, but use it very carefully!  After all, it is only 132 years old!

Join this site;    http://luger.gunboards.com/index.php

I am thinking of using mine at a match someday

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »
I've never seen one of these revolers... Would it be possible, for one of you two gentlemen, to post pictures of your firearm?

It would be very intresting to me.

Thank you,

Bill

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:36:32 AM »

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 02:49:16 PM »
Stillwater;  Go to the gunboards link and scroll down past all the lugers & stuff.

Here is a photo album from "the 'net";  Short knife is looking to acquire theM79, which is the long barreled one.  I have an M83, commercial version, like the shorter ones.

http://www.google.ca/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=Reichsrevolver&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=i5kvTOLoN4WonQf88ZSLBA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CC0QsAQwAw

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 03:09:37 PM »
Heck, that one is easy to find, even wiki has a picture of one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1879_Reichsrevolver
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »
You are quick, Del;   :)

But they have put an M83 photo up instead! ???

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
How comfortable is the grip when you shoot the revolver?

Thank you for providing the information about the furearm.

Bill

Offline the missing link

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »
I have one too, and are using 44 russian in it . That are going veri well. Mine are shooting high too.
                                        The Missing Link 

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 03:56:09 PM »
You are quick, Del;   :)

But they have put an M83 photo up instead! ???

Well it is Wiki. ;D  But at least it's close. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 03:59:16 PM »
I have one too, and are using 44 russian in it . That are going veri well. Mine are shooting high too.
                                        The Missing Link 

Most 19th Century revolvors do shoot high by modern standards.  The Idea is on a man with a center hold you will make a damaging hit out to 75 or a 100 yards, most are pretty close at 75 with similar to original loads.  Up close you hit in the head, the neck the torso and at 75 to 100 you hit in the hip or groin which of course will ruin your whole day.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 06:25:11 PM »
Here`s an article comparing the Reichsrevolver with the French service revolver;

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_fgp.html

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 09:15:12 PM »
One of those would look really good beside my GEW88 commission rifle.....or with the 1871-84 Mauser I hope to someday acquire.

But then the French one in that article would be good company for my soon-to-be Lebel and Gras......

There seems to be no end, every gun I get into my collection wants to bring a friend along....

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 10:12:44 PM »
Wow, that as some serious response.  Thanks guys.  It's not something I would take out and blaze away (read abuse) with like a modern made revolver.  Ever since getting my first antique pistol and realizing I can carry it anywhere I can take a rifle - as long as it isn't concealed - I've been drooling over the thought of a full size pistola to put on a belt.  There is no way I could afford a Colt SAA, or Remy 1875 or 1890 or *sigh* Merwin Hulbert in an approved calibre.

From what I have read elsewhere since I posted, they are robust enough to do casual shooting.  They have limited appeal due to their ugliness though which must be what makes them affordable. ;D

The guy is asking $1200, I might just scrape together the cash and go for it.

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 08:03:55 AM »
The guy is asking $1200, I might just scrape together the cash and go for it.

:o

Too bad you're not down on this side of the border, I'm in the process of upgrading my officer's Model 1883.

For those in America, I've shot it using .44 Russian bp cartridges from Powder Inc. (http://www.powderinc.com/)

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 05:32:05 PM »
Short Knife;  Check it out, but I think importing antiques is simpler than a registerable firearm.  Maybe PM Rattlesnake Jack?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 11:45:58 PM »
From what I understand, if the firearm in question is "antique" on both sides of the border, they can just skate across.  A friend of mine had a Winchester 1885 action (manf. 1887) shipped to him from PA.  The shipper marked the package "antique firearm action" and there was no problem.  Unless they got lucky.

I talked with the BATF in Billings MT about non-resident taking possesion of a pre-1899 firearm while in the states.... Ummm no.  According to Canadian Border Services, there is (should be) no problem if it is a prescribed antique.  Only glitch is that if there is something law enforcement officers/gov't officials are unfamiliar with is the law/policies.  ::)   

Story, thanks for the email linking me to your auction.  The pistol you have is a dead ringer for the one I see for sale.  At a much more reasonable price.  That's more what I figured they were worth, but I just sealed a deal on a #3 New Model Russian for a dollar figure not too much higher than the $1200 the M79's owner was asking.  I'm certain you'll find her a new home.

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 07:50:39 AM »
Story, thanks for the email linking me to your auction.  The pistol you have is a dead ringer for the one I see for sale.  At a much more reasonable price.  That's more what I figured they were worth, but I just sealed a deal on a #3 New Model Russian for a dollar figure not too much higher than the $1200 the M79's owner was asking.  I'm certain you'll find her a new home.

You're quite welcome, but that wasn't mine  ;D - I haven't put it out for sale yet, just thought you'd appreciate the pointer.

Post pics of the New Model Russian!

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 05:58:03 PM »
Funny how i wind up pirating my own thread about a German revolver by posting photos of a Smith and Wesson.  :D

I just sent the money order not 2 hours ago, so I won't see this gun for a bit.  These are the pics that the seller had put up in the ad.  For those of you on canadiangunntuz.com, you will recognize the backdrop as Dingus' famous "gun stump."   ;D  The nickle finsh looks a bit sparse, but there doesn't look to be any real metal damage.  Didn't get a screaming deal, but I don't think I got hosed either.  Last year I paid slightly less for an Uberti Russian is the way I looked at it.  Oh, the grips are faux stag BTW.  So no stags were harmed in the stocking of this gun... take that PETA.  :P

The bore seems pretty OK.

And the empties should come out no problem.

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 08:32:53 AM »
I have an M83 and an M79 that I occasionally shoot in matches.  The M79, in particular, gets a lot of odd looks and questions from other shooters.  For some reason, if people aren't familiar with a gun, they seem automatically convinced that it is a double-action and not allowed in matches. 

As far as shooting, I use my standard .44 Russian black powder loads and have no problems.  All of the Reichsrevolvers I have ever handled have VERY strong mainsprings, and that, coupled with the loonnnggg grip and short hammer spur on the M79 makes it a two-hand proposition.  I tried to shoot one-handed  a few times and my hand started cramping up from the immense effort. 

These revolvers don't have ejectors--you can remove the cylinder pin if you want and use it to poke out the cases (I think that was the original intent of the designer) or you can do what I do:  I have a short brass rod with a loop bent in the end that I hang on my belt so I can use it at the unloading table to poke out empties without dismounting the cylinder.

These guns are built like tanks and are a hoot to shoot.  Their only weaknesses in my mind are the safety (yes, they have a safety lever) and the cylinder pin retainer (on the M79).  Both of these employ external flat springs that are somewhat fragile and exposed to damage.  After so many years, I often see guns with them missing or broken.  I would avoid using the safety and be very careful with the cylinder pin retainer, because replacement parts for these are very very difficult to find and because of their odd design, difficult to repair or make replacements for.

So, have fun and let us hear how your shooting goes.

--DJ

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 09:03:04 AM »
Get yourself some 'fine' steel wool and some 'Simichrome' or 'Wenol' metal polish (It's pink and looks like toothpaste) and start polishing that big S&W.

Your weapon will wind up looking 'well-cared-for' but not 'new' - more like it's been a faithful holstered companion.

You should be able to get good quality grips from www.vintagegungrips.com and once fitted, they'll make the piece look right.

Smith & Wesson plating of the era left a lot to be desired - but then, so did everyone else's plating - they all would peel - and that problem didn't get truly fixed until the turn of the century.

Still and all - nice piece.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com