Author Topic: Memorial Day/Decoration Day - Once More...  (Read 2083 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Memorial Day/Decoration Day - Once More...
« on: May 29, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »
Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, National Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11, which states -

"The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form of ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit."

It was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery.

The first state to officially recognize the holiday was New York in 1873, and by 1890 it was recognized by all of the Northern states.

The South refused to acknowledge the day, honoring their dead on separate days until after World War I (when the holiday changed from honoring just those who died fighting in the Civil War to honoring Americans who died fighting in any war).

It is now celebrated in almost every State on the last Monday in May (passed by Congress with the National Holiday Act of 1971 (P.L. 90 - 363) to ensure a three day weekend for Federal holidays).

Several Southern states have an additional separate day for honoring the War Dead of the Confederacy.

Alabama: April 26
Georgia: April 26
Florida: April 26
Mississippi: April 26
North Carolina: May 10
South Carolina: May 10
Louisiana: June 3 (Jefferson Davis' Birthday)
Tennessee (Confederate Decoration Day): June 3
Texas (Confederate Heroes Day): January 19
Virginia: Last Monday in May

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.

There are many stories as to its actual beginnings, with over two dozen cities and towns laying claim to being the birthplace of Memorial Day, and there is also evidence that organized women's groups in the South were decorating graves before the end of the Civil War:

A hymn published in 1867 - "Kneel Where Our Loves are Sleeping" - by Nella L. Sweet  - carried this dedication:   "To The Ladies of the South who are Decorating the Graves of the Confederate Dead" .

Remember the Fallen - not just from this war but from all of our wars.

The WWI poet - Lawrence Binyon - had this to say.

"They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old,

Age shall not weary them ... nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,

We will remember them..."

Take a few minutes to clean their stones and if you can - leave some small remembrance.

They deserve this small recognition of the sacrifice they paid...

Vaya con Dios, acaso...

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Memorial Day/Decoration Day - Once More...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 05:15:12 PM »
Amen St. Geroge, well said! I posted a reply to a post in the Long Branch started by WaddWatsonEllis ref Memorial Day so I won't get type happy on this reply. Reading some of your posts I take it you are a Veteran or are possibly still  serving, so I'll take the opportunity to thank you very much for your service to America and to you also WaddWatsonEllis. Your sacrifice of whatever capacity served, the time spent of your lives in defending this country, its people and freedoms is very much appreciated. I salute you and all who are serving and have served. God Bless America!   Crow Choker
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com