Author Topic: Smith & Wesson DA .44-40...  (Read 36946 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Smith & Wesson DA .44-40...
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:06:37 AM »
The introduction of S&W's first large frame Break Top Double Action was in 1881, and was called the Double Action 1st Model, or New Model Navy.

This revolver was chambered in .44 Russian - a popular cartridge of the time, but the .44 WCF (.44-40) was leading that race, and the popular Winchester '73 was in wide use in the American West, so being able to pair up compatible calibers was seen as sound marketing strategy.

In an effort to capitalize on this happy idea, Smith & Wesson re-tooled, and came out with the Double Action Frontier in 1886 - chambered in .44-40, and is basically the same revolver except for a longer frame and a cylinder of 1-9/16" length.

They have their own serial number range - and topped off production with 15,340 of these revolvers - and though they were catalogued until 1912, all frames were produced prior to 1899 - making them antiques - a handy thing to know...

'Double-Action' was an idea that seemed to work well enough with pocket revolvers, but there was some hesitancy in accepting it in a large-bore version. Earlier attempts such as the Starr and Cooper were somewhat ungainly and weak by comparison, so for the most part the rugged single-action reigned supreme in the U.S. when it came to real working guns.

Unlike early Colt efforts of the 1870's, S&W's double-action mechanisms were the match of many Continental designs. In fact, some of the lockwork was pirated by Spanish gunmakers, among others, and sold to civilians and the military - but then, counterfeiting firearms was an art form in Spain and Belgium, so it was almost a given that any successful design would be copied.

Frontiers featured the familiar S&W topbreak ejection system.

They could be fired double-action or thumb cocked, though there was no safety position and the hammer did not rebound after the trigger was released, creating a potentially unsafe situation if the gun were dropped or roughly handled.

Lockup was effected by a pair of lugs that fit into tandem notches on the cylinder. When the trigger was pulled and the cylinder rotated, the rear lug locked into the rear notch, and when the trigger was relaxed, the front lug came into play, securing the cylinder by the front notch. As the trigger was pulled for the next shot, both lugs dropped enough to allow the cylinder to rotate smoothly—all in all a well-thought-out setup.

Incidentally - the term "Model 3" refers to the largest frame size used by S&W to produce their full sized top-break cartridge revolvers.

In 1878, S&W discontinued it's other Model 3 variations in favor of a much improved design which they called the New Model Number Three, and in just a short few years, a double action model was introduced, known as, logically enough, the .44 D.A. In all it's variations, the Model 3 was the most produced and most copied large frame cartridge revolver model of the 1870-1898 era.

The New Model Number 3 was arguably the pinnacle of 19th century revolver design.

During the era their accuracy was such that they were used to set most of the target records of the time.

I've often said that one needs reference books and that 'treasures abound' and that 'Hope Springs Eternal'...

You'll find more of those true treasures when you know 'more' - and that's what just led to my finding a tight-as-a-drum, nickle-plated S&W DA .44-40 Frontier with a 5" barrel, hard rubber grips and a four-digit serial number, indicating 1886 production.

Incidentally - S&Ws are serial-numbered on the butt, the latch and the cylinder - and written inside the grip panels - so use a 'good' flashlight and/or strong sunlight, and many things may be illuminated.

NCOWS allows these, too...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
Re: Smith & Wesson DA .44-40...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:06:29 PM »
I sure agree regarding the model 3s and particularly the New Model Number 3 which I have said many times is the best handling, well balanced single action revolver of all time ;D

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 11:40:05 PM »
I am tickled with my 44 DA.  4" barrel and 44 Russian.  Nickel plated and it qualifies as an NCOWS pocket pistol! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:49:16 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:09:39 AM »
On the large  Model 3 frame - it's actually a belt pistol, and was designed that way.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »
I know that historically.  But NCOWS rules define a pocket pistol as "no more than a 4 inch barrel" and I have seen fellows with a "Sheriff Model SAA's" shooting them in side matches.   :D  Didn't write the rule, but I have read it.  Will take my S & W DA 38's and my Iver Johnson DA 38 too! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:58:51 AM »
I'm still haven't decided whether or not to take my 4 inch DA .44 to shoot as a pocket pistol.  It would be neat if I could get multiple medals for PP side match: one for the .44 DA, one for the Iver Johnson, etc.

Oh well, it's going to be fun.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 01:53:42 PM »
I do believe we established frame size as the determining factor - and not barrel length - but that discussion happened long ago.

Furthermore, if we decide to discuss 'that' - then I 'will' move this to the NCOWS Chambers.

Just because a weapon can fit into one of the over-sized pockets of the time frame doesn't make it a 'pocket pistol'...

St. George's Notes XII - "Real" Pocket Pistols...
« on: January 21, 2005, 10:41:07 am »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For one reason or another, there's always been an interest in Pocket Pistols, and rightly so as probably more of those were carried during the period of the Frontier West than any other weapon.
We'll never know, since no one "saw" them like the Colts were seen - in their rigs.
If a man actually "saw" a pocket pistol - most likely things had gone really downhill at that point...

These are best described as those small-framed revolvers designed for concealability in a trouser or vest pocket and they were built by a large number of manufacturers - some good, some not-so-good and some time-honored.

Incidentally - this isn't about that famous "other" Pocket Pistol - the Derringer.
We'll do that another time.

Sadly - no modern manufacturer is making a good replica and so - you're going to have to find an original if you want one for your Impression and if you want to shoot with one.

On the other hand - this will illustrate the fact that you can still find "real" pocket pistols out there in the woodwork.

In the past few months, I wound up with four additions to my collection of odds and ends.
1.  S&W 2d Model, 2d issue, spur-trigger .38S&W - built in 1888.
2.  S&W Safety Hammerless in .32S&W.
3.  H&R "Vest Pocket" in .32S&W - a truly ugly little revolver - with no front sight and hammerless, to boot.
No front sight was ever installed, and it's so ugly, it's really nice.
4.  Belgian-made British Bulldog - short, powerful and well-liked and copied widely during the times.

These things are out there in drawers and on tables and in many cases they're worth picking up.

Good, solid makers include, but are not limited to:
Colt, Iver Johnson, Smith & Wesson, Harrington & Richardson, Forehand and Wadsworth, Merwin, Hulbert, Webley, Hopkins & Allen and Frank Wesson.
The foreign-made "Bulldog" revolvers (other than Webley) have good steel, but timing and lock-up can be an adventure to tighten up.

Look at a couple of things before you do decide to buy:

Overall condition - look at evidence of abuse - but don't pay much attention to loss of plating, as that's common and can be re-done, and if you don't want to do that - you can Simichrome or Wenol everything enough to mask its loss.
Look instead for big dings and pitting and burred screw heads and remember - spare parts are found in other people's guns...

Cylinder lockup - you want it to be tight and not to wobble.
In many cases, these guns were played with by grandkids after their daily carrying duties were over (I once knew of kids who played with a Dance Brothers...), and they can play rough.

You want something that'll lock up reasonably - especially when you hold the hammer down as if fired.
That's the tightest lockup you'll see in a revolver, so if there's a lot of play - you can think about it for parts.

Barrel-Frame Lockup - Has to be tight.
Look for cracking at the point of joining.
In many cases, tightening the screw is all that's needed, but if it's not able to be done - think "parts".

Condition of Grips - Hard Rubber grips can be a challenge to repair, but it can be done.
Better when you don't have to.

Once you've located your prospective companion - clean it - but carefully and pay attention to how it assembles and disassembles - Dave Chicoine's books - "Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West", and his "Expanded Second Edition" are invaluable here.

As far as ammunition is concerned - BP will always work, but factory smokeless will work as well in later revolvers, but don't get carried away - these little guns were never meant for the shooting stresses of C&WAS, or the pressures of modern reloaded ammunition.

As to .22's - the really short .22CB Cap (NOT the CCI - in the .22 Short case) will safely drive a Conical Ball from its barrel and not increase pressures.

Standard Velocity .22 Shorts are about as "heavy" a round as you'll ever want for later revolvers, but I'd certainly get some of the CB Caps first.

Better yet, just pick them up to add to a vest pocket as an accouterment, if you're concerned about firing them.

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!

(this originally appeared in the NCOWS Forum awhile back, and was even included in an article for 'The Shootist'.)

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 03:26:21 PM »

I'm fortunate enough to have a standard one in .44 Russian and a "Frontier" version in .44-40.

Both are blued with 5" barrels (IIRC).

Have to say the Ruskie is far more pleasant to shoot with a full BP load than the .44-40, which can be a hand-full.

Lots of fun, though.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 12:42:22 PM »
I know that historically.  But NCOWS rules define a pocket pistol as "no more than a 4 inch barrel" and I have seen fellows with a "Sheriff Model SAA's" shooting them in side matches.   :D  Didn't write the rule, but I have read it.  Will take my S & W DA 38's and my Iver Johnson DA 38 too! ;D

Gamer!
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 01:07:15 PM »
I have to agree with Irish Dave!  That makes me a gamer. :o ::) ;)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 08:15:46 AM »
Incidentally...

S&W DA "Frontier" revolvers, all are pre-1899

Important Note: An article by Roy Jinks (S&W factory historian), some years ago reported that all of the *frames* for the large frame top-break S&W's were made prior to 1899, and hence all New Model #3's, .44 DA 1st Models, DA Frontiers, and related models are considered "antique" by the ATF, even though they may have been cataloged and even assembled well into the early 20th century.

Special thanks to Roy Jinks and the S&W Colloctor's Association for this information.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 10:17:10 AM »
Put your drool bib on and gander over at Gunbroker, auction # 182507916 

WOW!

I have no connection to this auction or seller.  I thought other S&W DA fans would enjoy seeing that beauty!

Wonder what she'll sell for?

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 10:06:53 AM »
I can't believe the picture was still up.  Did the search on a lark.  

You all HAVE to see this.

Hammer dropped at $1300.  SOMEBODY got a good buy.

She'll make a good parts gun anyway.

Offline dogngun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 12:18:44 PM »
Thanks to all who posted on this old thread.

I just bought a .44 Russian S&W DA revolver online - won't be here till maybe next weekend. The seller - Cabelas in Nebraska - tells me that the gun is tight and carrys up well, but won't stay cocked in SA mode...which I believe is repairable, and may even be that famous old grease...There is NO original finish left, but the bore looks good and the grips are not broken, so I took a chance.

I have had many top break revolvers in the last 45 years, including a first and second model S&W Single Action .38, and at this time I have a very good shooting New Departure .38 from 1903. This is the first large caliber top break I have ever had, and I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

Thanks again.This site has the best information on older guns that I have ever found...they are a lifelong interest of mine.

mark

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 07:46:32 PM »
Speaking of pocket pistols, Bourke commented in "On The Border With Crook" that Tusconans preferred pocket pistols, and generally didn't bother to draw. They just fired them out the bottom of their coat pockets. Must have kept the tailors busy!

One of these days I'll get lucky and find an S&W 44 to go with my 38s.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 11:16:33 PM »
My Grandma found an old S&W revolver in her garden, but I don't have a clue what it is.  It has serial number 5300 and the Barrel has 10/87 stamped on it.  It looks and awe-full lot like the picture Short Knife Johnson posted.  This one has had the hammer removed, however, but that is an easy fix. I don't have a picture of it yet, but as soon as I get one, I'll post it.  In the mean time, does anyone have any idea what this one is, i.e. caliber, date of manufacture etc.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 04:45:33 PM »
I bought a S&W DA revolver.  It has about 10% blueing left, has a 4" barrel, and some sort of reddish composit grips. Last pat date is May 11 & 25 of 1886, and a 4 digit serial number.  Chambered for .44WCF and locks up tight.  What do I have?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 05:09:47 PM »
Pictures would help.

Scouts Out!

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 05:23:46 PM »
I bought a S&W DA revolver.  It has about 10% blueing left, has a 4" barrel, and some sort of reddish composit grips. Last pat date is May 11 & 25 of 1886, and a 4 digit serial number.  Chambered for .44WCF and locks up tight.  What do I have?

Howdy

Does it look more or less like this?

The only large frame Double Action Top Break revolver that S&W made was the Double Action 44. There were a few variations, the ones that were chambered for 44-40 were called the 44 Double Action Frontier models. I am a bit confused about the patent dates you quote though. Are you sure? The last patent date on my DA 44 is May 11 & 25 1880.

The 44-40 variation was first produced in 1886. All frames had been made by 1899 but the model was still cataloged up until 1913. There were 15,340 of them made. You would have to be a bit more specific about the SN to get a better idea of when it shipped. The SNs ran from 1 through 15340.

The 'reddish' grips are usually referred to as the Red Mottled Hard Rubber grips, although according to SCSW the 44 Double Action Frontier model only shipped with either walnut or black hard rubber grips.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 05:34:15 PM »

The only large frame Double Action Top Break revolver that S&W made was the Double Action 44. There were a few variations, the ones that were chambered for 44-40 were called the 44 Double Action Frontier models. I am a bit confused about the patent dates you quote though. Are you sure? The last patent date on my DA 44 is May 11 & 25 1880.

This might be representative of a Belgium or Spanish copy of the DA44.  However, I've not seen one with serial numbers.

St. George's comment is right on.  Lets see a picture.  I have 2 DA 44 "Frontier" models (.44 WCF) and they do not have the 1886 patent date.

Very curious to see this revolver. 

This is a top break revolver, not a hand-ejector, correct?
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com