Author Topic: Photographic goofs in westerns  (Read 47119 times)

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Photographic goofs in westerns
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2011, 08:00:20 PM »
I got the impression Indio was smoking dope.

It looked like a Marlboro to me.  :D
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2011, 10:14:44 AM »
In the John Wayne 'Alamo' there's a Mexican Infantryman wearing a wrist watch.

There's a great old movie, 'The Light That Failed' set in England and North Africa.
The whole British Army is armed with Trapdoors.

I vey many of the old Oaters the 'Indians' all speak Spanish I don't care
where they happen to be.

There are a number of goofs in this one
In one scene of a Mexican charge ..you can see Production Trailers and in another a pickup truck w/ dust billowing behind.

I remember when The Alamo came out I when to see it first run at the Roosevelt Theater on Miami Beach
I bought the Show book and the cased Bowie
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »
I was told that not all the final copies of JW's 'Alamo' were exactly alike? I assume that they would be but was told that some didn't quite match up on all the scenes.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 02:32:39 PM »

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 02:45:49 PM »
Saw another minor one yesterday, I believe it was on Maverick. There was a character named Shotgun Sparks. His weapon of choice was a doubled-barreled, pistol-gripped shotgun with about a 18-20 inch barrel which he carried in a pistol holster not unlike Steve McQueen in Wanted, Dead or Alive. In one scene, after using the shotgun, he jams it in the holster and takes off running for his horse. As they show him running, there is no shotgun in the holster. He then jumps on the horse and in the next scene, he is on the horse with the shotgun back in the holster. Guess somebody realized that jumping on a horse with shotgun hanging down might cause you to start singing soprano.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 02:56:25 PM »
I'm actually watching one right now called the Long Riders about the James and Younger brothers. All the pants have both suspenders and belts with loops. I might add though most are carrying vintage single and double barreled shot guns with a few Henry repeating rifles Frank Younger is carrying a Marlin 1894 model.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Hard Mouth

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2011, 10:39:54 PM »
Durango Flinthart,

If yer still followin' this thread, I b'lieve I can explain Little Joe's horse's spots moving around.

I was doing some work at Mike Landon's house back in the Seventies. (Dated his kids' nanny, briefly.) He was very friendly and accessible. His poolhouse was the "Bonanza Room", full of mementos from the series. He told us that he had had two horses during the series, sequentially. It seems the first one died suddenly, and was replaced by the second. The first one died because some very sicko low-life scum broke into the barn where the Bonanza horses were kept and cut off and stole the horse's p....  Yeah, that!! Left the horse to bleed out and die...

He said they never had a clue who dunnit.

Non-linear story/filming schedules would have the spots moving around, I guess.

Offline Durango Flinthart

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Forty miles a day on beans and hay...
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »
Hard Mouth,

Thanks for the info, I just figured they had a remuda of horses and the continuity guy wasn't paying attention. I hope that karma caught up with the S.O.B. who would do that to an animal just for perverse pleasure.

Watch your top knot,
Durango 
When the cambrian measures were forming they promised purpetual peace. They swore if we gave up our weapons the wars of the tribes, they would cease, but when we disarmed they enslaved us and delivered us bound to our foe and the Gods of the copybook headings said, "Stick to the devil you know." Kipling

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2011, 09:15:50 PM »
Once Upon a Time in the West. They even pointed it out in the script. Henry Fonda is talking to his informant and points out that he's wearing suspenders and a belt and asks the guy "How can I trust a man that can't even trust his own pants?"
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2011, 11:51:46 PM »
Once Upon a Time in the West. They even pointed it out in the script. Henry Fonda is talking to his informant and points out that he's wearing suspenders and a belt and asks the guy "How can I trust a man that can't even trust his own pants?"

Eli Wallach did the same thing in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. In an oblique way he was making fun of the way Sergio Leone was dressed.
A work in progress.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2011, 07:09:59 AM »
Eli Wallach did the same thing in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. In an oblique way he was making fun of the way Sergio Leone was dressed.
How is the belt AND suspenders a goof ? Some people dress that way ?

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2011, 07:47:54 AM »
How is the belt AND suspenders a goof ? Some people dress that way ?

It wasn't really a goof to begin with. It was just an actor making fun of the director.
A work in progress.

Offline pmazan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2011, 10:21:28 AM »
Check out the movie, Patton. In almost every photo I have seen of the real General Patton, when he was wearing both his Colt Single Action and his S&W .357 Magnum, the Colt is on the right side. In the opening scene in front of the flag, he has the S&W on his right hip and the SA on his left hip. Later in the movie they are reversed. This means the prop people had to have both a right and a left holster for each gun. Why?

When Patton is in the street shooting at the German bomber he is shooting a 1903 Colt General officers automatic.

Offline pmazan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2011, 10:37:05 AM »
Eldarado is full of goofs. In fact rather than try to retake shots they simply wrote the most obivous intyo the script.
Mitchum: You've got the crutch under the wrong arm
Wayne: How would you know, you've been walking around with it fitst under one arm and then the other.

Bull: The first time in a long time i feel like doin' nothing for you and you don't want me to do it

Mitchum: was ther something wrong with that or am I still drunk

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2011, 12:07:01 PM »
When Patton is in the street shooting at the German bomber he is shooting a 1903 Colt General officers automatic.
Which is another one of the guns he frequently carried, often concealed.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2011, 09:12:37 AM »
I always seem to notice holster rigs in westerns. I watched a Rifleman episode over the weekend, in which Claude Akins is a professional gunfighter hired to guard a bank. He is wearing a nice two gun rig with what appear to be metal-lined holsters, probably by Arvo Ojala. In the final confrontation, between Lucas McCain and Claude Akins, Akins is shot from the saddle and with one foot stuck in the stirrup, dragged through the dusty street by his horse. As the camera pans to his body being dragged by the horse, the fancy two gun Ojala rig has been replaced by a beat up looking Mexican loop holster and belt.
It reminded me of an episode I once saw of Cheyenne, who over the life of the series, wore at least three different rigs, most of which appeared to be the metal-lined Ojala style. In one episode, in which he wears the Ojala rig, he is involved in a fist fight in the middle of a stream, as he emerges soaking wet from the water, his Ojala rig has morphed into a very plain beat up holster and belt. I was glad that, seeing a water fight coming, he had the good sense to protect that Ojala rig by changing belts and holster.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 10:47:18 AM »
Watched The Valachi Papers this weekend. Charles Bronson is playing Valachi starting in the 1920s and going up to about 1960 something.  In every scene where they are riding in really fine old period cars, the cars around them are '60s models.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2011, 09:14:03 PM »
I saw Randolh Scott recently in "Colt 45". I'm still trying to understand why they didn't name it "Colt 44". The plot, for those who haven't seen it, has Scott as a gun salesman going around demonstrating the new "Colt 45", which they are marketing only to law enforcement officers before releasing them to the public. The selling point is that these guns are "six shooters" instead of single shots. I don't know much about Colt cap and ball guns but these appear to be Dragoons, which I believe were 44 caliber. So why "Colt 45". Seems like it should have been about him selling the new Single Action cartridge gun the Colt 45 and touting its advantgaes over the older cap and ball guns. To their credit, every one else did seem to be carrying Remington single shot rolling blocks. I half expected all the extras to be carrying single actions. By the way, everyone in the movie had on the most god-awful looking holsters you ever saw.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2011, 09:20:01 AM »
Whoops ! Just saw another one. As I type this, the Westerns Channel is showing "Target", an old black and white western featuring Tim Holt. In one scene, the female lead is trying to demonstrate, that she's as good and tough as any man. To demonstrate, she graps a sixgun. They are indoors and she picks out 4 bottles sitting on top of a cabinet about 5 feet off of the ground. One by one, she blasts the bottles sending glass fragments flying. Only problem is, the wall standing 4-5 inches behind the bottles, shows no evidence of bullet holes.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2011, 07:59:08 PM »
Whoops ! Just saw another one. As I type this, the Westerns Channel is showing "Target", an old black and white western featuring Tim Holt. In one scene, the female lead is trying to demonstrate, that she's as good and tough as any man. To demonstrate, she graps a sixgun. They are indoors and she picks out 4 bottles sitting on top of a cabinet about 5 feet off of the ground. One by one, she blasts the bottles sending glass fragments flying. Only problem is, the wall standing 4-5 inches behind the bottles, shows no evidence of bullet holes.
An folks think 'safety slugs' are a new concept! LOL
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline HolliferADollar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Goofs in westerns
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2012, 07:57:44 AM »
I watched Tombstone last week & counted the number of shots Curly Bill made after coming from the opium den.  2 Colt revolvers, no reloads, 24 shots...not including the one he used to kill the marshal while surrendering his guns.
Panhandle Cattle Company
Big Bend Bushwhackers
Panhandle Cowboys
SASS #91847
1860 Henry roster #151

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com