Author Topic: New Vaqueros in .44 Spcl.!!  (Read 23551 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
New Vaqueros in .44 Spcl.!!
« on: May 04, 2010, 02:40:13 PM »

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: New Vaqueros in .44 Spcl.!!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:36:29 PM »
 Only thing better would be one in 38wcf.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:56:41 AM »
If Ruger does it typical thing none will be available for at least a year. Of course you can buy one on the black market for a couple of hundred dollars over list.
I am a Ruger fan, but their distribution stinks.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:21:32 PM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 06:50:54 AM »
A pair of these would be a good thing to get my daughter going in SASS.
It's the right caliber and a might smaller than the OM Vaqueros we now use (she borrows).

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 09:06:28 AM »
 Greg as much as I like the 44 special, if I were looking to outfit a small handed shooter I'ld go with a single six or Uberti stallion in 32 H&R. My wife really like her ss

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 11:34:39 AM »
Ranch 13:

It helps to have an FFL & do a lot of trading. 
We load all .44 Specials in our family outfit's six-shooters & rifles.   
We really don't wanna change calibers.  We have 100% interchangeability now. 
Our only ammo differences are whether the load is smokelss or BP sub.

Rifles:
3 Marlin M-1894 in .44 M
3 Browning M-1892 in .44 M
3 Brazillian M-1892 in .44 M
1 Winchester M-1892 in .44 S

Revolvers:
3 Ruger SBks in .44 M
6 Ruger Vaqueros in .44 M
6 Ruger Bisley Vaqs in .44 M
2 Ruger Birdhead Vaqs in .44 M
2 Ruger Bisleys in .44 M

>>>But then, we have a lot of folks in our outfit at the Double Arrow Ranch.<<<
That's Calamity JoAnne, Winchester Wade, SASSy Shawna, Amy Oakley, Russ T. Spittoon, Commissioner Gordon, Tin Star Tim [and me]

Much obliged for the ideas, Pard.
Mustang Gregg

PS  You should see her shoot my H&K 91.

BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 11:48:56 AM »
 ;D If I hadn't of got Ms.Shorty Anne the 32 , I never would of got full possession of my 41 again. :o ;D

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 03:12:34 PM »
R 13:

I can understand that.  
The only way I got to keep my old favorite B-92 was to get Calamity her own rifle. 
Anyhoo, I got her a VERY NICE Marlin 1894-S in .44 for $175 from a feller who said it wouldn't shoot .44mag ammo and wanted rid of it. 
So I got to keep my Brownie.

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 03:16:59 AM »
A pair of these would be a good thing to get my daughter going in SASS.
It's the right caliber and a might smaller than the OM Vaqueros we now use (she borrows).

MG

I generally prefer the 40+ calibres, but I bought my wife a set of the 357 SASS paired revolvers in the red case. Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, they are sweet pistols! Those hammers just fit under the thumb so well!
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 10:10:41 AM »
Not on the Ruger website as yet.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 10:22:13 AM »
Haven't been to town to check for a while, but those should be showing on the shelves according to the last word from the local slobber shops distributer.
 The Remington 1911's ought to be out now as well.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 01:27:32 PM »
The .44 Vaqueros are available now.  ;D
There are both stainless & blued models available.
I have 2 pair on order right now for the Wild West Arms inventory.

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline AlaskaJack

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 10:05:50 PM »
Just be aware and beware that Ruger is making the .44's on the lighter frame and marking them "Vaquero" rather than "New Vaquero".  Looks like a potential liability claim when a handloader blows one of the new small frame guns up when they thought, becaue it was marked Vaquero rather than the appropriate New Vaquero designation, it was a large frame that could take it.  There are apparentyl 4 RENE types now....talk about confusion......
NRA Endowment Member
SASS

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 10:21:07 PM »
 New vaquero cylinders are a bit thicker and made of better steel than the prewar colts and smiths that brought about the specials big brother..... Someone would have to be darwinism at it's finest to take one of those new Rugers apart with heavy overloads in the 44 special.

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 05:24:07 PM »
Nice to see Ruger comming out with a big bore Vaquero again, but I'm not sure how historically correct 44 special is.  Maybe more so than the 357 magnum?   ::)  :o  ;D
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 11:02:31 PM »
Nice to see Ruger comming out with a big bore Vaquero again, but I'm not sure how historically correct 44 special is.  Maybe more so than the 357 magnum?   ::)  :o  ;D

My fellow Brother at Arms Danny Bear Claw,

I had this same communication some time ago with "John Boy" and the "Warthog" group on that "Open Range" page of folks and it appeared to ME that the facts were met with copper bottom pan glasses and cotton ball ears on this subject of "Period Correct" calibers and what IS and IS NOT a "Warthog"; however, I wish to opine here at this proposed question despite it being a bit off topic of the Ruger 44 special Vaquero!   :-\  :-\  Soooooo VERY BRIEFLY (as I understands it):

In 1875 Colt Manufacturing Company introduced the 38 Long Colt (case length of 1.031 inch) and was the standard US Army cartridge in 1892 in the Colt New Army M1892 revolver and because of the poor stopping power experienced in the Philippine-American War (1899-1902) the 38 Long Colt was replaced by the 45 Long Colt.  The 38 Long Colt morphed into the S&W cartridge 38 Special introduced in 1899 (C/L of 1.155 inch) as we modern gunners know that the 357 Magnum became the most powerful cartridge beating the Colt Walker Horse Pistol ( 44 caliber) in 1934 (C/L of 1.29 inch).  I understands it that the extra case length is due to SAFTY so that the more powerful cartridge didn't blow apart inadequate cylinders; therefore, I contend that the 357 magnum is Period Correct as a 38 Long Colt with stopping power.   ;D   ;D   ;D

In 1869 S&W introduced the 44 American (C/L of 0.91 inch and external lube boolit).  In 1870 the 44 Russian was introduced by S&W (C/L of 0.97 inch internal lube boolit).  the 44 Special was introduced in 1907 (C/L of 1.16 inch) as a smokeless cartridge and I'm speculating that the extra case length is also of SAFTY so not to chamber these cartridges into "Holy Black" 44 American & Russian revolvers; therefore, I contend again that the 44 Special is a Period Correct cartridge with more stopping power.   ;D   ;D   ;D

I also humbly suggest that the pettifogger crotch shots of historical correctness stay over on the NCOWS board where the "Toughest Six Shooters" are generally "pshawed".  I also ask (especially with the plethora of calibers in the 19th century) why would it be of any concern to anyone as to what caliber is historically correct of what someone is shooting other then to steal somone's joy in this "Game"?  I'm positive, Danny Bear Claw Sir, that ALL your lever long guns are chambered in 44 Henry, 44-40 or 38-40 or maybe 32-20.  Me, I'm going Historically INCORRECT with my Ol' Pard's (Pegleg Pete) 1866 Yellow Boy in 45 LC and a long time coveted and recently acquired pair of 45 LC Ruger SS OM Bisley in 512 bbl so I can go gun fight'n on the "Dark Side" with the Lt. Col some day soon!   :)   :)   :)

IMHO

Respectfully,
Yeti76620

PS:I'm apologizing again to ALL for being off topic 'cause that 44 Special is one fine caliber for the Vaquero to accompany the continually chambered Big Bore caliber 45 LC Vaquero.
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 11:32:38 PM »
Let me get this straight.  An NCOWS member starts a thread in support of the Vaquero in .44 Special.  I am also an NCOWS member and agree with his enthusiasm.  Then we have a SASS member posing a question about historical correctness. (triggering a response!)

I hope this state of affairs doesn't offend any ones sense of propriety.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 03:42:34 AM »
Yeti... my Pard.  I was just stirring the pot a little.   ;D ;) ::)  I agree that the 44 sp. is a good choice for the Vaquero.  Period correct?  Ahh... who cares.  If it floats yer boat go for it.  Given the funds, I'd probably buy one myownself.   As someone pointed out to me in another post... it doesn't matter what caliber a man shoots.  If it gets him playing the game, then it's a good thing.  If authenticity is important to someone then they should stick to NCOWS.  I was once a member of NCOWS my self.  I let my membership lapse because it wasn't growing fast enough and I knew  I'd never travel to Iowa to shoot a match and I also knew I wanted to shoot only Vaqueros.

For the record, my lever guns are a Winchester '94 in caliber 30-30.  A Uberti "Yellow Boy", '66 in caliber 44-40.  A Uberti '73 in caliber 38-40 and a period incorrect Rossi '92 in caliber 45 Colt.   :)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 09:54:28 PM »
My Brothers at Arms: Sir Charles and Danny Bear Claw....I Salute you BOTH!

I have ABSOLUTLY ZERO sense of Propriety to ANYTHING and as "The Claw's" (HHhhhoooo RRRraahhh) friend has pointed out that it is ALL ABOUT THE FUN!!!   ???  I'm not sure what "sense of propriety" is suppost to mean Sir Charles; however, "it just doesn't matter"...please no offence.   ???

I've just a "gut full" of the caliber piss'n contests (my Personal problem) as I'm just INCORRECT........Politically and Historically....I'm an OUTLAW who "Gets It Done" with a whole lot'ta FUN!     ;)   ;)   ;)

I'm pretty excited for all the folks want'n to blast off  the new Vaquero 44 Special 'cause it really ..really truly is a great caliber ands with out a doubt a fabulous firearm!  ( In the OM format...OMG I'm all wet   ::)  )

{Sorry for I miss read: http://ruger.com/products/vaqueroDE/features.html..ALSO..http://ruger.com/products/vaqueroDE/models.html  :-[  :-[  :-[....     ]

God Bless Ruger and God Bless US ALL!   ;D

Respectfully,
Yeti76620
PS  Got me one of them Winchester '94 in 30-30 too and it is my champion table setter!   ;D
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Izzoquazzo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 09:25:08 PM »
In an attempt to swerve this thread back on topic, I've purchased a brace of consecutive serial number Vaqueros in .44 Especial. They are blue finish with 4 5/8" barrels. It's always been my favorite caliber and now I can compete with it. Thanks Ruger and Thanks Lipseys.

Bear Bottom Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com