Author Topic: New Lyman tang sight on my '73, and homemade gong  (Read 1832 times)

Offline BloodyBill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Lyman tang sight on my '73, and homemade gong
« on: May 01, 2010, 06:34:46 PM »
I had a fun morning trying out my new Lyman Tang sight I just installed on my Uberti "Winchester" '73 Deluxe short rifle, and a gong that I made.  The sight worked out great, and sighted in perfectly with only 3 shots at 30 yards.  I only had to move the front sight a little, and it was dead on.  I installed it myself since a have a woodshop with a drill press etc.  Very easy.  I'm very happy with the sight. 

I made the gong from 18" X 18" mild plate steel, 3'8" thick.  I drilled a 7/16" hole centered near the top, and hung it from a "shepherd's crook" plant hanger that I duct taped onto a steel post that I drove into the ground with a post driver.  Worked beautifully, and rings out like a church bell on Christmas Eve.  Of course the lead bullets splatter a little on the gong, but don't affect the steel at all, so it'll last forever.  I wondered if I was making it a little larger than necessary, but I'm glad it's the size it is.  Not too heavy to carry, and large enough to be fun even at long range.  I shot up about 200 rounds at it with the rifle and revolvers, and called it quits only because it was cold, windy and rainy.  Fun to plink at with the .22's too.   
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com