Author Topic: Scalping Knife and Sheath  (Read 5605 times)

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Scalping Knife and Sheath
« on: April 28, 2010, 08:49:02 PM »

Culture: Eastern, Sioux, Native American
Medium: Steel, bone, hide, quills, copper, cloth, steel?
Place Made: Fort Snelling, Minnesota, USA
Dates: 1801-1833,early 19th century
Dimensions: Knife in sheath: 13 x 6 in. (33 x 15.2 cm)
Inscriptions: "Indian Scalping Knife"
Collections: Arts of the Americas
Museum Location: This item is not on view
Accession Number: 50.67.59a-b
Credit Line: Henry L. Batterman Fund and the Frank Sherman Benson Fund
Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY-NC
You may download and use Brooklyn Museum images of this three-dimensional work in accordance with a Creative Commons license. Fair use, as understood under the United States Copyright Act, may also apply.

Please include caption information from this page and credit the Brooklyn Museum. If you need a high resolution file, please contact reproductions@brooklynmuseum.org (charges apply).

For further information about copyright, we recommend resources at the United States Library of Congress, Cornell University, Copyright and Cultural Institutions: Guidelines for U.S. Libraries, Archives, and Museums, and Copyright Watch.

For more information about the Museum's rights project, including how rights types are assigned, please see our blog posts on copyright.

If you have any information regarding this work and rights to it, please contact copyright@brooklynmuseum.org.

Caption: Eastern, Sioux (Native American). Scalping Knife and Sheath, 1801-1833,early 19th century. Steel, bone, hide, quills, copper, cloth, steel?, Knife in sheath: 13 x 6 in. (33 x 15.2 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Henry L. Batterman Fund and the Frank Sherman Benson Fund, 50.67.59a-b. Creative Commons-BY-NC
Image: overall, CUR.50.67.59a-b.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, 2006
"CUR" at the beginning of an image file name means that the image was created by a curatorial staff member. These study images may be digital point-and-shoot photographs, when we don't yet have high-quality studio photography, or they may be scans of older negatives, slides, or photographic prints, providing historical documentation of the object.

Eastern, Sioux (Native American). Scalping Knife and Sheath, 1801-1833,early 19th century. Steel, bone, hide, quills, copper, cloth, steel?, Knife in sheath: 13 x 6 in. (33 x 15.2 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Henry L. Batterman Fund and the Frank Sherman Benson Fund, 50.67.59a-b. Creative Commons-BY-NC (Photo: Brooklyn Museum, CUR.50.67.59a-b.jpg)
Catalogue Description: This (steel?) knife blade is known as a beaver tail stabber, Hudson's Bay dag or hand dag, with the later appellation appearing in trade accounts. It is a flat, triangular, spear shape joined to the handle with two copper rivets. The blade has no commercial markings. The handle is bone that is etched along the sides possibly with a tally of sorts made by the owner. The shape of the handle is nicely rounded at the grip to fit the palm comfortably and the butt acts as a guard to protect the hand from the blade. There is a third rivet at the end of the bone handle. This hide sheath does not fit this dag knife and was probably made to fit a curved, commercial knife. The top edge of the sheath is decorated with a pattern of small quills. Threes crosses decorate a field of white quillwork on the panel. The cross at center is built around a light yellow square at center with dark brown arms. The two crosses on the right and left are pale blue squares at center with dark brown arms. On the edges of the panels, a small strip of red cloth, probably ribbon, is tied to the sheath's loop and two smaller loops with orange and white quillwork are attached. A border of tin cones stuffed with red dyed cloth is suspended from the panel. The streamers have remnants of wrappings with orange quillwork and decorated with additional cones. White quills along the seam and at the top of the knife sheath are applied as overcast stitches.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline KidTerico

• kidterico
  • Top Active Citizen
  • I,m to small to turn the other cheek.
  • Liked:
Re: Scalping Knife and Sheath
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:16:40 PM »
Shotgun Great  Job. Very nice pictures and information. Thanks for showing. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 09:19:42 PM »
That is bad to the bone, Shotgun.

MD

Advertising