Author Topic: Marbles Folding Safety Fish Knife  (Read 5131 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Marbles Folding Safety Fish Knife
« on: April 26, 2010, 05:33:46 PM »
I have one of these that my Dad had from the late 1920s / early 1930s.  It's an all metal three way folder with a 3.75" blade.  It has a short clip point and the remainder of the back is a scaler.

The dang thing is a mess...spent most of it's life in a creel or tackle box. The blade is shot and the stop for the blade when it is opened is badly worn.  The metal handle (Probably nickel plated or possibly early stainless.) might be salvageable. I'd like to either get it restored or find a new one (Not one of the $38.00 Chinese monstrosities.) that I could use.

I realize this is not even partially "cowboy" but I'm fishing (no pun intended) for some advise here.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
Re: Marbles Folding Safety Fish Knife
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:16:16 PM »
Did you check the Marble's web site?  They make many of the old style knives.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:30:55 PM »
Can you post any pictures?

This knife is an all-metal knife - which means that there are things that 'can' be done more easily.

The conundrum is this:  It's your Dad's knife - 'he' put the dings and such there - do you really want to restore this to new or merely clean it and make it a working knife once more.

I have my Grandfather's Marble's 'Woodcraft' sheath knife, and after great thought, I cleaned it and left all of the 'character' it possessed.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:14:13 PM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »
Did you check the Marble's web site?  They make many of the old style knives.

Will Ketchum

Will, they have one exactly like the one I have, but it's Chinese now.  I may have to settle for that, but I druther not.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:29:15 PM »

This knife is an all-metal knife - which means that there are things that 'can' be done more easily.

The conundrum is this:  It's your Dad's knife - 'he' put the dings and such there - do you really want to restore this to new or merely clean it and make it a working knife once more.

I have my Grandfather's Marble's 'Woodcraft' sheath knife, and after great thought, I cleaned it and left all of the 'character' it possessed.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 07:34:41 PM »

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

I don't have any pics but found a bunch on the web.  Marbles was really into making knives that wouldn't close on your fingers.  Some had stag or wood handles.  This one folds into the handle and the outter half of the handle folded over to completely enclose the blade.

The blade is shot to the point I don't consider it safe, and Lord it is UGLY!  Those were never pretty knives, but this one has turned the bend.  I'd really be happy retiring the whole thing if I could find a good replacement.  I found a couple on EBay, but they'd already been sold.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 09:50:51 PM »
I'm afraid that your best bet is going to be in locating an original on ebay or at a gun show/antique show.

Their very ugliness is a turn-off to many - unlike Marble's sheath knives.

I know I'll keep my eyes open for you.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 05:36:13 AM »
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 10:34:06 AM »
Yeah, but nothing even close.  I don't think my knife has been produced since WWII.  Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com