Author Topic: I tried pulled pork in a DU  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I tried pulled pork in a DU
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:33:59 PM »
Demoed Sat for the local boy Scout Camparee, my helper and I went up Fri to set up about 1.  Got set up and since I had the day off and it was nice we built a fire and made coffee and some supper. 

I put the pork in an oven with a bit of lard and a couple onions and browned it.  I then added a little water and simmered it real slow for a couple hours.  When it was starting to fall apart and the liquid was almost gone I tossed in enough stuff to make a sauce.  Used some ketchup, mustard, red wine vinegar and some brown sugar, plus some prime rib rub a friend makes.  (Just stuff in the cook box was all)

When that got warm and bubbly I removed the oven from the bottom coals and piled up the coals on top, opening the oven every 10-15 minutes and stirring in the carmelization.  Did this about 4 times, baked some big cat head biscuits and we had supper.

Never done pulled pork in a DU before, but going to do it again.  A good dish for supper on a set-up day and a few coals on top will keep it warm as folks show up and need supper. 

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: I tried pulled pork in a DU
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:42:05 PM »
A few more pictures, since this wasn't a real historical event we had a few things out that were not PC.

Rick grinding coffee beans Sat morning:

Him cutting up the beef for 3 ovens full of beef stew:

The herbs for the chicken and rice, yes that's sage in the bag, Simon and Garfunkel chicken I guess: ;D

And Salt Crick Rick again, cutting veggies for the stew and a few ovens going:

Yep I'm a slave driver.

Got to use the new copper tea kettle to warm water for the bread:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 01:43:18 AM »
That looks as good as the Philly cheesesteaks.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:23:19 AM »

Offline Wishbone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:59:39 AM »
 ;D  Del, I've seen Your Green Chuck box for Years Now!  Whats that Thing weight. Looks like it takes 6 Boys & a couple of strong Men to move it around? Wishbone-Ks

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:56:12 AM »
;D  Del, I've seen Your Green Chuck box for Years Now!  Whats that Thing weight. Looks like it takes 6 Boys & a couple of strong Men to move it around? Wishbone-Ks

Believe it or not, maybe 100 pounds and I can handle by myself, just pull the pick-up up to it, tilt it and shove it in.  Reverse for unloading.  The thing is almost 10 years old, a friend built it and it is a copy of an 19th century cupboard in the collection of NSHS.  Although the one he copied is a piece of doll funature. ;D

Once on it's side the bottom is stuffed with what ever will fit in it.  Nice thing is it kinda adds to the load I can haul.  Needs some work, it's been hauled around so much it is getting a bit loose.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 05:42:32 PM »
Yep, That green cupboard has been down the road a few times. It sat out in the snow last Oct. at the Muster.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 10:08:54 PM »
Yep, That green cupboard has been down the road a few times. It sat out in the snow last Oct. at the Muster.

Got dime size hail on it in 2006 at RCS, at least the tornado dropped east of it or who knows where it would have ended up. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »
It's a veteran of the Road.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com