Author Topic: Puma M-92  (Read 25522 times)

Offline edward austin cable

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Puma M-92
« on: April 11, 2010, 11:07:04 PM »
Was wondering if anybody could give me some reviews on Puma's model 92. Im looking for a lever gun that I can use more as a work/everyday kind of rifle. I wouldn't be using this for my NCOWS matches. The rifle would be riding in the scabbard on my horse multiple days a week. So Im looking for a rifle that can stand up to everyday wear and tear on a working ranch. I carry a Winchester model 94 .30-30 currently. But Im wanting to downgrade on the caliber size a bit. Looking more in the .45 Colt, .44 Mag, or .357 caliber area, something a little on the lighter side to carry all day. Thanks for any reviews and information.
Cable
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. " Captain Woodrow F. Call

God invented the whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Puma M-92
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:41:40 AM »
If I recall correctly, Puma's are now made by Chiappa in Italy.  Their rifles have a good reputation.

You might also want to consider a Marlin 1894.  They are tough and American made, not to mention less expensive than the Puma's I have seen recently.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:29:31 AM »
Thank you Aggie. That was just going to be my next post, was which others preferred the Marling or the Puma. Thank for the reply, the advice is much appreciated.
Cable

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:41:28 AM »

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:56:05 AM »
I hope you're happy with whatever you purchase.  After all this is all for fun, so it's a matter of what "trips your trigger" as far as gun design.

For a light weight saddle gun, the only real difference I can see in them is that the Marlins probably tend to feed more reliably and I like that they throw the casings to the side.  Some of the top eject rifles (but not all) have a tendency to throw them empties on top of my head.  ;)
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:13:18 AM »
I hope you're happy with whatever you purchase.  After all this is all for fun, so it's a matter of what "trips your trigger" as far as gun design.

Some of the top eject rifles (but not all) have a tendency to throw them empties on top of my head.  ;)

Wear a hat!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 12:31:20 PM »
Is there essentially any difference between a Rossi m92 or Puma m92? Or are they the same?
Cable

Offline willygene

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 12:48:25 PM »
i have one in 357 the 16 trapper i slicked the action up and made a brass mag follower makes an excelent truck gun reliable and accurate next i will remove the safty from the bolt and plug that. they are great little guns .  i would refere a 1873 for cowboy action though.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 03:34:53 PM »
Sir Charles,

I do wear a hat, but it is still somewhat distracting.  ::)

Edward,

I haven't handled a Rossi in a long time, but they've had a reputation of having a pretty rough action and feeding reliability is iffy.  I think I'd tend to go with the Puma if you want a '92.  I think Chiappa (makers of the Puma) may also make the '92's sold by Taylors and/or Cimarron.  You might check with their website.
Learned Brother at Armes

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 05:23:13 PM »
Thanks again Aggie for the advice, I will do that.
Cable

Offline Big T

• Big "T"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • www.tbarkcustomknives.com
    • T bar K Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »
If I were working on a Ranch i would go with the 1894 marlin in 44 mag , big enough for knockdown at 100 yds with power behind it for longer shots if need be , I love my 357 94 but would rather have the 44 mag , I have the emf hartford , same as the puma 92 an its a good gun but seems weak in the 45 lc cal for killin critters at distances , t
Tank & Kathy ,T bar k Custom knives

God Bless All to their Own Standards Accordingly thru Jesus Christ !

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 10:18:57 PM »
Thanks Big T, I will keep that in mind.
Cable

Offline kcub

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline Messerist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 08:04:11 PM »
I recently bought a Marlin 1894 in .44mag and I couldn't be happier.  The Puma M-92 kcub pick up is a great looking firearm as well. 

Offline Cookie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »
Is there essentially any difference between a Rossi m92 or Puma m92? Or are they the same?
Cable

Same gun, different importers.

Just bought a Rossi M92 carbine in .45 Colt for $400 new. I've only shot it once so far, putting 30 rounds through at the range. The action's a little stiff, especially on the return stroke, but otherwise it's great. Haven't really put her through the paces though, so I'll defer to someone with more experience.

Mine's for play rather than work, but the carbine's a great choice for you I think. The finish is nice, but not so nice you're afraid to take it out of the safe, and the gun's light enough that packing it on a horse should be no trouble.

Offline LtBlue425

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 12:44:01 AM »
Edward, if you're looking for a working gun check out a 454 Casull in the Puma M92. I just got one week ago and haven't gotten any ammo loaded but love it's balance. The real reason I bought was for the 454 Casull cartridge. Something more powerful than a 45-70 in such a compact package was pretty attractive. Plus the ability to fire lower powered 45LC ammo with easier to find brass was another attraction. Comes with a nice recoil pad.  ;) As far as action smoothness, I would categorize it as smooth, I'm quite impressed with it.

Pictured with other recent additions.

Offline TomBullweed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 10:18:08 PM »
I shoot a tuned Rossi 92 in .357 for CAS.  They can really be slicked up (no matter what others may say).  They are solid as a rock, but they are difficult to clean and are not as tolerant to .38's as some other actions.

I picked up a Marlin 1894 in .44 and had the barrel cut to 16.25" with the magazine buttoned to six rounds.  I slicked up the action my self with a little stone work and locked the safety in the off position (carry with empty chamber).  That is as good as a woods gun can get.  .44 Magnums loaded with 240 XTP's at 1250 (pistol) spit out at around 1550 from the rifle for very little recoil.  I changed the bead front sight to a plain post and can hold 4" at 100 yards all day long.  .44 Specials wil work in the gun, but I stick to this one-does-everything load for now.

Offline Dino

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 09:14:08 PM »
Same gun, different importers.

I don't think so, Cookie ...
The Puma is in fact made by Chiappa (Italy), but I believe the Rossi is made somewhere in Brazil.

I recently bought this '92 Cimarron, which is also made by Chiappa.
The quality and fit is very, very good.  :)

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 02:40:18 PM »
I haven't priced a Puma 92 lately but had the impression they were cheaper than the Taylor Chiappa or the Chiappa USA gun. If they are all made by Chiappa, are there different quality levels?

Offline Cookie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 07:10:21 PM »
I don't think so, Cookie ...
The Puma is in fact made by Chiappa (Italy), but I believe the Rossi is made somewhere in Brazil.

According to Legacy Sports website, the Puma is being made by Ciappa starting in 2010.

Prior to that, the Puma's were supplied by Rossi (Yes, they are in Brazil). But since Rossi is now importing directly, Legacy Sports obviously found a new supplier, but kept the Puma name.

Offline Dino

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 07:28:31 PM »
According to Legacy Sports website, the Puma is being made by Ciappa starting in 2010.

Prior to that, the Puma's were supplied by Rossi (Yes, they are in Brazil). But since Rossi is now importing directly, Legacy Sports obviously found a new supplier, but kept the Puma name.

The question was ... "Is there essentially any difference between a Rossi m92 or Puma m92? Or are they the same?"

I guess the confusion here is ...
The Puma may have once been supplied by Rossi but, to my knowledge, the Rossi was never produced by in Italy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com