Author Topic: 'HOLY GRAIL' OF CANADIAN MILITARY HANDGUN COLLECTING ACQUIRED - NOW RECEIVED!  (Read 14662 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
[At the request of Moderator St. George, I am re-posting  here the message I put up in The Barracks.]

REJOICE WITH ME!

I am pleased to announce that, after considerable soul searching followed by a bit of dickering, I have struck a deal with a Canadian antique arms dealer to purchase from him an example of the "Holy Grail" of Canadian Military Handgun collecting - a Canada Militia London Colt "Navy" revolver,  811 of which were acquired in 1855/56 by the pre-Confederation Province of Canada as part of the equipment for issue to Troops of Volunteer Militia Cavalry.  Being the rarest .... and costliest, of course ..... this was the only original 1855-1955 primary-issue Canadian military handgun I did not yet have in my collection ..... until now!

Pre-Confederation Canada (a union of Lower Canada and Upper Canada  - the southernmost parts of present-day Quebec and Ontario, respectively) along with the other self-governing colonies in the Empire had just had a much-expanded responsibility for its own military defense thrust upon it, as a result of Britain's involvement in the Crimean War.  A new Militia Act was passed in 1855, under which the Militia was reorganized and expanded, and which also provided for the acquisition and distribution of the necessary arms and equipment.  (All arms and equipment had been provided by Britain, previously.)

The variation of the Colt Model 1851 percussion revolver manufactured in Colt's London Factory was the issue handgun for Militia Cavalry, who were organized in Troops of (nominally) 50 men.   Each revolver was to be marked either "U.C." (Upper Canada) or "L.C." (Lower Canada) over a Letter ("A", "B", etc.) denoting the specific Cavalry Troop, over a "rack number" for that revolver within the allotment issued to that Troop.  Records indicate that 255 revolvers were issued and appropriately marked in Lower Canada, and that there were 556 "Upper Canada Colts".  Only about 200 of these revolvers are known to have survived.

The revolver I have just acquired is one of the Upper Canada Colts - number 4 of those issued to "B" Troop, headquartered at St. Catharines .....

In case you wish to read more, here are some relevant "period" documents.  (Click on each thumbnail to view - you may have to click again on the image which comes up in my Photobucket album, to see it full size.)

Militia General Order of 16 May 1856, dealing with the distribution of newly acquired Arms.  Note that over half of this document relates specifically to the newfangled "six-shooting Colt's pistol", including fairly detailed instructions for loading and cleaning -

Receipt signed by the Captain of an Upper Canada Cavalry Troop - in this case. Troop "I", headquartered at Essex - for the arms and equipment to be issued to members of his Troop -

Bond of Indemnity entered into by a Trooper and Guarantor (likely his father, or perhaps a brother) for the return of the Colt revolver issued to him.  Note that this Bond relates to revolver number 16 issued in the same St. Catharines Troop as my revolver!
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 'HOLY GRAIL' OF CANADIAN MILITARY HANDGUN COLLECTING ACQUIRED!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:16:35 AM »
Rattlesnake Jack,

Many thanks for posting this - and Congratulations on this fine addition to your collection.

This illustrates the happy fact that there are still treasures out there to be found.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 09:43:56 AM »
Congratulations!  That truly is a unique and impressive find!

Ron

Advertising

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 01:55:36 PM »

Good on you pard. That's a nice looking piece.

Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 02:48:44 PM »
SWEET gun!!!  More importanlty, a part of history.  ;)

Offline Appalachian Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Appalachian Ed------ NCOWS N-SSA/CSA - 2nd KY
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 04:07:36 PM »
NICE!!!!! You should be proud to own it.

-Eddie
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 04:15:58 PM »
Awesome old Colt.  Thank you for posting the pictures and the history.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »
Marvelous addition, Jack.  I can see the smile all the way down here.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 12:10:46 AM »
Just a bit of an update on the survival rate of Upper and Lower Canada-marked Colt revolvers .....

In my initial posting, I indicated that only about 200 of these revolvers are known to have survived. However, to ease the wait for mine to arrive I have been reviewing my references, and it turns out that although there are over 200 known serial numbers associated with surviving revolvers, as of 1997 (the last date any details were published) there were only 162 known revolvers.

The reason for the discrepancy is that many of the surviving revolvers have mismatched serial numbers among the four components so marked on Model 1851 Colts. Because the mismatches of known examples are apparently all between revolvers issued to the same Troop of Cavalry (no inter-Troop mismatches having been noted, at any rate) the writers surmise that mismatching likely occurred when the revolvers were serviced by the Troop armourer, and then reassembled without re-matching the serial numbers. (Personally, I think it is just as likely that at least some of the mismatching may be the result of salvaging parts from excessively worn or damaged revolvers to keep others serviceable. That is precisely what has been happening for years with the WWII-produced Inglis High Power pistols which remain Canada's primary-issue military handgun to this day ....)

At any rate, I can say of my newly that acquired revolver (which also has mismatched serial numbers) that neither its Troop issue-marking, nor the two different serial numbers I am aware of on its components, were included in the most recent published update (1997). I have asked the seller to include all information he has on the provenance of the revolver, but I believe he mentioned that he acquired the revolver in 1997 or later.
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
My Upper Canada- marked Colt London Navy has reached its new home!

Turns out all of the visible serial numbers match on frame, barrel, loading lever, trigger guard, grip frame/backstrap, and it is just the cylinder which is mismatched.  (It is also British proofed, so my mild concern that it might turn out to be an inappropriate US-produced cylinder haven proven groundless.)

Looks like the bore and chambers will take a bit of scrubbing .....  There is quite distinct rifling, but some apparent patches of moderate pitting.  Cones (nipples) appear to be quite "elderly", although I cannot if course say if they are original.  They are fairly rusted and there is a fair amount of rust in and around the cone recesses, so some soaking will clearly be necessary before any attempt to remove them.

There is quite a bit of forward/back play of the cylinder on the cylinder pin, which at its maximum leaves a gap of about 1/6th of an inch between the rear of the barrel and the cylinder face .... so I'm not terribly keen on trying to actually fire it in its current state.  Must determine if there is any sort of "approved fix" for such a problem which does not involve irreversible alteration to the revolver ..... but It actually appears to me that a washer-like shim of suitable thickness, and clearing the "ratchet projections", could be placed at the rear of the cylinder to ride between its rear bearing surface  and the corresponding raised bearing surface on the recoil shield to keep the cylinder ahead but still permit complete functioning.

Here are a few of my initial photographs:

Couldn't resist a shot of my new acquisition together with its Uberti reproduction "great-great-grandnephew"  (my mid-1970's Albion Arms "limited edition/commemorative") -

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Marvelous piece - 'many' congratulations!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline rustyrelx

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
NICE FIND. Great pistol  Don  rustyrelx
SFC USA ret-2004
76Y,45B,45K,63H
GAF 716

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
 :o  Wow!  Great find and addition to your collection.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Smokin Gun

• "I Smoke Black Powder!"/ "Prefer an 1858 Remington"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Preferred Shootin' Iron 1858 Rem
    • Black Powder Revolver Forum
  • Liked:
Very nicely done and a very beautiful artifact ... you are fortunate.
Mosby's Rangers
43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
SASS# 19634
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Thanks, Pards!

I'm certainly pleased with it ....   
  ;D

Offline Hungarian

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Wow, thanks for the history lesson. That is a great addition you should be proud of!

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 08:08:13 AM »
Just a bit of an update on the survival rate of Upper and Lower Canada-marked Colt revolvers .....

In my initial posting, I indicated that only about 200 of these revolvers are known to have survived. However, to ease the wait for mine to arrive I have been reviewing my references, and it turns out that although there are over 200 known serial numbers associated with surviving revolvers, as of 1997 (the last date any details were published) there were only 162 known revolvers.

The reason for the discrepancy is that many of the surviving revolvers have mismatched serial numbers among the four components so marked on Model 1851 Colts. Because the mismatches of known examples are apparently all between revolvers issued to the same Troop of Cavalry (no inter-Troop mismatches having been noted, at any rate) the writers surmise that mismatching likely occurred when the revolvers were serviced by the Troop armourer, and then reassembled without re-matching the serial numbers. (Personally, I think it is just as likely that at least some of the mismatching may be the result of salvaging parts from excessively worn or damaged revolvers to keep others serviceable. That is precisely what has been happening for years with the WWII-produced Inglis High Power pistols which remain Canada's primary-issue military handgun to this day ....)

At any rate, I can say of my newly that acquired revolver (which also has mismatched serial numbers) that neither its Troop issue-marking, nor the two different serial numbers I am aware of on its components, were included in the most recent published update (1997). I have asked the seller to include all information he has on the provenance of the revolver, but I believe he mentioned that he acquired the revolver in 1997 or later.

Congratulations on your find Jack.  I'm curious as to your comment regarding the Inglis High power pistols being Canada's primary issue military handgun to this day.  Are you referring to the .22 cal revolvers that were used for target practice only?  In my 27 years in the Canadian military, the only handguns that I am aware of were the Browning semi auto in 9mm, the Colt Cobra in .38 spl issued to Military Police SIU at that time, now NIS and also to MP commissioned officers.  There was also the Smith & Wesson Chiefs Special 5 shot in .38 spl. that was issued to female MPs.  I'm referring to the period of 1960-87.  I believe that the female MPs are now carrying semi autos.  Like I said Jack, just curious.  Cheers!
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 12:50:53 PM »
Congratulations on your find Jack.  I'm curious as to your comment regarding the Inglis High power pistols being Canada's primary issue military handgun to this day.  Are you referring to the .22 cal revolvers that were used for target practice only?  In my 27 years in the Canadian military, the only handguns that I am aware of were the Browning semi auto in 9mm, the Colt Cobra in .38 spl issued to Military Police SIU at that time, now NIS and also to MP commissioned officers.  There was also the Smith & Wesson Chiefs Special 5 shot in .38 spl. that was issued to female MPs.  I'm referring to the period of 1960-87.  I believe that the female MPs are now carrying semi autos.  Like I said Jack, just curious.  Cheers!

BCLD:

The Inglis High Power is the "Browning semi auto in 9mm" you mentioned ....

About 153,500 of these pistols were manufactured in Canada by the John Inglis Co. during 1944 and 1945, under joint license by Fabrique Nationale  - a.k.a. F.N. - of Belgium (which has always owned the world-wide rights to the design) and Browning Arms (which retained the North American rights under the original deal when John Browning sold the design to them.)  Although relatively small numbers of the various other handguns you mentioned have been acquired for special issue, the venerable Inglis High Power is still the primary issue sidearm of the Canadian Forces ....... and a lot of them have come out of stores for the current mission in Afghanistan!

Northern Europe , 1945-

Afghanistan, present -
(Just two of dozens of photos I could show ....)

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Thanks for the clarification Jack.  I carried the Browning for nine years before being issued the Colt Cobra.  Never heard of the Browning being referred to as the Inglis before, unless time is catching up to me and I can't remember.  Been retired 24 years this coming summer.  Just as an aside for those into Canadian military trivia.....The RCAF Police carried their side arm with the holster on the right side with the butt to the rear and the Army Military Police (Canadian Provost Corps) wore theirs on the left side in a cross draw configuration.  The RCN did not have a professional Military Police Force prior to 1968.

I'm going to make it to one of your shoots this coming summer Jack. :D

Take care.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Today I got to hold a Lower Canada "51 Navy.  It was an extremely nice pistol.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com