Author Topic: 'HOLY GRAIL' OF CANADIAN MILITARY HANDGUN COLLECTING ACQUIRED - NOW RECEIVED!  (Read 13975 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 'HOLY GRAIL' OF CANADIAN MILITARY HANDGUN COLLECTING ACQUIRED!
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 08:13:44 AM »
RSJ, It will be worth the wait, I am sure. RCJ, I like your definitions of the museum and a closet. I think my closet qualifies.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 12:00:30 AM »
Just a bit of an update on the survival rate of Upper and Lower Canada-marked Colt revolvers .....

In my initial posting, I indicated that only about 200 of these revolvers are known to have survived. However, to ease the wait for mine to arrive I have been reviewing my references, and it turns out that although there are over 200 known serial numbers associated with surviving revolvers, as of 1997 (the last date any details were published) there were only 162 known revolvers.

The reason for the discrepancy is that many of the surviving revolvers have mismatched serial numbers among the four components so marked on Model 1851 Colts. Because the mismatches of known examples are apparently all between revolvers issued to the same Troop of Cavalry (no inter-Troop mismatches having been noted, at any rate) the writers surmise that mismatching likely occurred when the revolvers were serviced by the Troop armourer, and then reassembled without re-matching the serial numbers. (Personally, I think it is just as likely that at least some of the mismatching may be the result of salvaging parts from excessively worn or damaged revolvers to keep others serviceable. That is precisely what has been happening for years with the WWII-produced Inglis High Power pistols which remain Canada's primary-issue military handgun to this day ....)

At any rate, I can say of my newly that acquired revolver (which also has mismatched serial numbers) that neither its Troop issue-marking, nor the two different serial numbers I am aware of on its components, were included in the most recent published update (1997). I have asked the seller to include all information he has on the provenance of the revolver, but I believe he mentioned that he acquired the revolver in 1997 or later.
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 07:43:12 AM »
RSJ, It would be nice to know if there is any History with the revolver. I wish you well in your quest for the other revolvers.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 10:01:02 PM »
RJR,

My heartiest congratulations on your acquisition!  Bully!  It couldn't have a better home!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 05:46:45 PM »
Congratulations on such a treasure!!!!!
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
My Upper Canada- marked Colt London Navy has reached its new home!    ;D

Turns out all of the visible serial numbers match on frame, barrel, loading lever, trigger guard, grip frame/backstrap, and it is just the cylinder which is mismatched.  (It is also British proofed, so my mild concern that it might turn out to be an inappropriate US-produced cylinder haven proven groundless.)

Looks like the bore and chambers will take a bit of scrubbing .....  There is quite distinct rifling, but some apparent patches of moderate pitting.  Cones (nipples) appear to be quite "elderly", although I cannot if course say if they are original.  They are fairly rusted and there is a fair amount of rust in and around the cone recesses, so some soaking will clearly be necessary before any attempt to remove them.

There is quite a bit of forward/back play of the cylinder on the cylinder pin, which at its maximum leaves a gap of about 1/6th of an inch between the rear of the barrel and the cylinder face .... so I'm not terribly keen on trying to actually fire it in its current state.  Must determine if there is any sort of "approved fix" for such a problem which does not involve irreversible alteration to the revolver ..... but It actually appears to me that a washer-like shim of suitable thickness, and clearing the "ratchet projections", could be placed at the rear of the cylinder to ride between its rear bearing surface  and the corresponding raised bearing surface on the recoil shield to keep the cylinder ahead but still permit complete functioning.

Here are a few of my initial photographs:

Couldn't resist a shot of my new acquisition together with its Uberti reproduction "great-great-grandnephew"  (my mid-1970's Albion Arms "limited edition/commemorative") -

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
Kewel!!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
It is in remarkably good condition. Congrats. on your aquisition.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com