Author Topic: Why are 1887 Shotguns Excluded from Wild Bunch Matches?  (Read 26410 times)

Offline Dalion

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why are 1887 Shotguns Excluded from Wild Bunch Matches?
« on: April 07, 2010, 12:32:49 PM »
I have shot a couple of Wild Bunch matches at local clubs and enjoyed the hell out of them and was ready to start getting my kit together when I read that I had to use a 97’ shotgun.  Everything stopped.  I had been able to use my 87 shotgun at the local matches and have done very well against the 97’s but I see by the rules of the match that I have to use an 1897 Winchester shotgun. I hate using 97s for CAS.  I don’t get why the 1887 shotgun is excluded?

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Why are 1887 Shotguns Excluded from Wild Bunch Matches?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:26:36 PM »
Cause them be the rules.  Why can't you use aluminum bats in MLB, certain sized tennis racquets in ATA matches, and certain sized bowling balls in competition?   ;)  Not trying to be a wiseguy, but SASS is privately owned and those in charge choose to set the rules - maybe to keep things more equal among competitors-just two classes; traditional and modern.  Local clubs can allow the 87, but nationally sanctioned WB - 97 only. 

MJJ

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:35:45 AM »
Howdy Dalion, there is a simular thread on "why only 97" on the SASS wire. I'll copy and paste a couple of key responses since the SASS thread will eventually be deleted. Another thing to remember is SASS has never claimed to be hsitorically accurate, it's a fantasy sport/game. Judge Roy Bean once said;
'Everybody seems to think we’re a period shoot, but we’re not. We’re a fantasy cowboy acting shoot. Judge Roy Bean.'

Here's a couple of key quotes from the thread.
Happy Jack- "As one who was involved in writing the SASS WB Handbook I will answer your question. #1 SASS has always been about early design firearms. The Wild Bunch side match is patterned after the firearms supposedly used by Pike, Tector, Dutch and Lyle in the FINAL scene of the movie. The 1897 shotgun was actually in use by the US military at the time the movie is supposed to depict. All things SASS are fantasy and not a true re-enactment of the period. SASS has always allowed the 1897 SG at their matches . We broadened the 1897 rule to allow the "military style" 1897 in WB matches. One VERY important thing to remember in ALL SASS matches is that the SG is staged open and empty. The rifle is staged HAMMER DOWN on an empty chamber. One reason SASS only allows external hammer firearms is that you can verify that the hammer is down. With an internal hammer SG such as a model 12 you cannot see the hammer and therefore cannot verify that it is down on an empty chamber. In Wild Bunch we have an exception to the normal SASS rules in that the SG may be preloaded at the loading table with the rounds needed for the first (usually only) SG engagement. The SG is then staged with the hammer down on an empty chamber. Without an external hammer you cannot be sure of its condition. Therefore SASS will NEVER approve internal hammer SG, rifles, etc. As a new shooter to SASS, WELCOME and enjoy yourself. I am sure if you want to shoot a WB match someone will loan you a '97 for the match. Be aware though, that they are a bit difficult to keep running smooth. If you have some '97 problems you are not alone"

Evil Roy-"I attended Wild Bunch side matches for years. There were no universal rules. No one could ever tell me until I got there if my 1911, leather, loads, shotgun ar anything else was legal. One of the reasons for the SASS rules is that it gives uniformity to the WB matches. I know that if I buy and practice with what the rules specify I can shoot any match which uses the rules. I also know how to plan a match because I know what firearms, ammo and leather will be used. Try to plan a stage with broomhandle mausers, bolt action 5 shot rifles, semi auto shotguns and who knows what and you will find it very dificult. No ten shot rifle stages, no 20 round pistol stages requiring 3 reloads, and no knockdowns if lighter calibers are used. What is the manual of arms on some of these guns so I will know how to plan a SAFE stage. The only way WB can grow is to have common rules so everyone can buy gear and know they can shoot coast to coast with it. Clubs which allow different gear are actually keeping the sport from growing. Going to allow 38 Super or 9mm? Get ready to to see the fast guys go to the lighter calibers and everyone else bitching about the unfair advantage. Take your 9mm to another big match and you may not be allowed to shoot it.

You should know that SASS is already signing up WB only clubs and having a seperate WB World Championship. Regional and state WB only matches are already approved. You are not helping the WB movement grow by having different gun classes and allowing all kinds of offbeat gear and guns. Your members will be buying and using gear in your match they will not be able to use elsehere. My understanding is that state and above matches by 2011 will have to use the SASS rules.

We all owe Happy Jack a big thank you. He wrote the WB rules with input from SASS, CAS shooters, industry 1911 legends and shooters, leather manufacturers, and many more folks who had input to the finale version. The rules are very well thought out and based on a great deal of information and many years experience from many people. He is now working on an RO manual with input from many people.

WB is intended to be a big bore class with a power factor. This makes knockdown targets a part of a match if desired. This also means you can now start or end a stage with any firearm as the timer will pick up the shots. A few smaller targets may be included which means you need to sight your gun in and learn how to shoot it but it is still a speed sport so larger targets used at most SASS matches can and should be used for most targets.

Wild Bunch matches are huge fun and many of us expect it to grow into a very big sport within SASS. If you have not tried it you should."

At the local level we can continue to be creative with the firearms permited, one club may have a cutoff date of 1913, while another may be 1921. We plan to start having a few WB matches at our local club, we will have three categories, Modern, Traditional and Open. Open is gonna be run whatcha brung, ;D we plan on allowing any pump shotgun, SXS, or lever. Pistols up to 1913, subject approval from the MD and ROs. However at scantioned matches the growing trend is to follow SASS rules, and there appears to be some merlt to that decision. If you plan on shooting one of those matches I'm sure plenty of folks will be more than wiling to loan a 97. Good Luck.

Jefro, Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:29:22 PM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:31:23 AM »
That's probably the reason that I was not allowed to use this .45 ACP in an 'open class' Wild Bunch shoot ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 01:26:12 PM »
I can't figure out why people have such a hard time figuring out the SASS Wild Bunch rules.  I guess it's for the same reason people can't figure out why they can't shoot their double action revolvers at a SASS match.  That being said, there are lots of "Wild Bunch" matches that allow Lugers, Mausers, revolvers and semi-automatic shotguns.  They just aren't following SASS rules.  Of course I'm not to smart cause I can't figure out why they have 1911's at a cowboy shootin match in the first place.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
Pettifogger,

Here here!  But I believe we are among a very silent minority ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »
Well one thing, they are used in seperate matches and for another reason many serious historians wonder what is so magical about Dec 31 1899-Jan 1 1900, nothing changed much, things changed rapidly after the US got into the Great War.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 04:00:19 PM »
BTW GAF has Wild bunch Matches and they shoot under GAF rules, is that OK or is there a copyright on "Wild Bunch Matches?" ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 04:01:35 PM »
Delmonico,

First, I have a tremendous respect for your wisdom, historical background and all.

I just think it would have been more straightforward to have a group call themselves the 'Great War Group' ...

BTW ... did I tell you that I was denied entrance into a 'Wild Bunch Shoot' because my Webley is a 1916 design ... talk about splitting historical hairs ....

But my 7X57 Model 98 Mauser would have been okay ... again, go figure ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 04:05:03 PM »
Delmonico,

First, I have a tremendous respect for your wisdom, historical background and all.

I just think it would have been more straightforward to have a group call themselves the 'Great War Group' ...

BTW ... did I tell you that I was denied entrance into a 'Wild Bunch Shoot' because my Webley is a 1916 design ... talk about splitting historical hairs ....

But my 7X57 Model 98 Mauser would have been okay ... again, go figure ....

We're talking about a time period before the US got involved in the Great War.  In the west little had changed but some of those more modern firearms were showing up.  Since they shoot in a different class I have never seen why anyone would have a problem with it.  I can see declining to shoot it.  I don't but don't have problems with it.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 04:11:40 PM »
Delmonico,

The most interesting thing is that people were so scared of it ... even the best Wobbley shot with full snowflake clips could not keep up with the rate of an M1911 in the most untrained hands (assuming thouse untrained hands could hit the target). I am by far one of the slowest shots in my club ... so I am flummoxed about it.

They should have been far more wary of the 98 Mauser in 7X57 ... VERY fast and Very accurate

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 04:20:52 PM »
I have derailed this thread for too long  .... I now turn it back to its owners ... *S*

NCOWS #3403

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 07:34:42 PM »
With out the history real or reel you don't have anything.  As for wild bunch matches, if you don't like them fine, but why are you even bothering to post here?  Do you need a stick to stir the you know what a bit more? ::)

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 07:45:02 PM »
Oh good, I like this, a forum to discuss and you just come in and say you don't like what the forum is about, real civiil.  Guess the Marshall will need a moderator.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 07:57:13 PM »
I never actually looked at the title of the forum.  I was just reading the thread.  You're right, comments were in the wrong forum.  All you Wild Bunch guys live long and prosper.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 03:45:36 PM »
If Folks don't like Sass's "Wild Bunch" Rules, they to complain to Sass's "Wild Bunch" and not here. We don't make the rules, They do.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 11:42:09 AM »
Up until very recently SASS really didn't have formal rules for the Wild Bunch matches and each club was left to determine what they wanted to do with the side match.  A couple of years ago SASS decided to add a Wild Bunch match to EoT so they came up with rules for the match so that people would know in advance what was expected of them.

The Wild Bunch matches have NOTHING to do with any war.  They are based upon the western The Wild Bunch which is also the name of the group that founded SASS.  Knowing those facts the way that the wild bunch matches are set up and the rules for them they are very appropriate at any SASS sanctioned match or really any cowboy match.  My opinion of course but it's the right opinion.   :D ;)
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Dalion

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 04:22:31 PM »
Don’t mean to stir the pot none.  I guess I should have phrased the question like this; Am I right in thinking that there is no mechanical or practical use reason why the 87 should be excluded from WB matches? It just is, right?

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 05:00:44 PM »
No practical reason, they just use the '97 because it was the one that used in the movie.  It's a theme thing.   ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 10:07:22 PM »
This is video from the last "Defending Ft. Parker" match.  They had developed their own local WB rules before the offical SASS rules came down the pike.  At Ft. Parker you could run an '87 in the WB match.  They also allowed early Browning auto shotguns and a variety of early DA revolvers.  Lots o' fun at Ft. Parker.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jutKbrh2o3M[/youtube]
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com