Author Topic: Reloading APP on a MEC jr  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Chili Pepper Kid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reloading APP on a MEC jr
« on: March 07, 2015, 02:48:03 PM »
Howdy all:

Last year when I ran out of smokeless powder I bought 2 cans of 3F and 1 of 2F american pioneer powder. I figured out how to load .45lc and shot several matches. This winter I was given a older MEC jr. and have been pondering loading 12 gauge. I have never reloaded shotgun.

My question is: I have 2 powder bushing (29 and 30). Is one of those appropriate?

Chili Pepper Kid
Jebediah Nightlinger: I regret trifling with married women, I'm thoroughly ashamed at cheating at cards, I deplore my occasional departures from the truth, Forgive me for taking your name in vain, my Saturday drunkenness, my Sunday Sloth. Above all, forgive me for the men I've killed in anger, and those I am about to...

Offline Knarley Bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
Re: Reloading APP on a MEC jr
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 04:38:39 PM »
What I load is called a square load. That is same volume of powder to the volume of shot. If the powder bushing is way smaller than the shot hole, pretty "poochy" load. I found one of those adjustable bars, adjusted them to the same volume and away we go!
Hope this helps a little.

Knarley
Not on our watch

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 12:06:54 AM »

APP is a very coarse grain powder in both the 3F & 2F editions. I dip the powder using a Lee dipper of proper size, and by-pass the powder portion of the bar, using the shot side only.
Your choice may vary from mine, but the above works well for me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:57:35 PM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 12:17:38 AM »
I load everything through the 600jr but it's a little messy with all the fines/dust. I use the equivalent volume of about 50 grs BP and 7/8oz for shot as my light load. A WW AA white wad (or other of equivalent length) works well. For a heavier load I use 75-82 grs by volume which takes the larges bushing they make (36?) and 1 1/8oz shot. To make room for all that powder & shot I cut the "legs" out of the AA wad and just load the over powder wad and the shot cup. I't's a boomer with BP. The APP heavy load, to me, kicks a bit more than with real BP.

Lefty Dude's method is a good one. I have sized & primed up 25 hulls, put them in the tray, charge them all with a dipper of powder and a funnel and then ran them through the press. It doesn't take that much more time than running them through the press.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline longinosoap

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »
What Lefty said.

I use the 3.1 lee dipper and 1 oz shot of Pinnacle 3F, which I understand to be the same as APP. Good easy load that does the job.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 11:44:56 AM »

Yep, the 3.1cc Lee dipper is a good choice. It is the one I use also.
This dipper weigh's out at  48-50 grains of APP on my scale.
Makes for a nice CAS/SASS load, in both plastic & all brass hulls.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 02:48:51 PM »
I probably shouldn't weigh in on this one 'cause I don't load on a MEC.  My shuttles are ALL solid brass and really simple to load.

However.  When I first started using APP is was a really light color, very dusty, and didn't run well thru my reloading presses.  I don't know exactly when the formula changed, but the latest iteration of APP runs thru my Dillon 650(s) like grain thru a goose.  The only change I made was the powder charge bar.  Switched out the small bar for the large one.  Very little dust now.
In all fairness, I do get an occasional "bridge" but infrequently enough that I don't care.  Since I load full cases with no fillers, the occasional bridge is very obvious and simple to correct.

I really like APP.  Oh, I also use it in my brass shotgun hulls.

Coffinmaker

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 06:43:05 AM »
I load all my BP shotgun loads on a Lee load all with APP FFF .
Only like 45.00 New with all Bushings and everything needed .
And you dont need a Square load .
Its just a waist of powder for the short range we shoot in Cowboy Action .
You can down load quite a bit and still knock down the targets .
I cant remember the bushing number anymore.
But its equivalent to a 45 Colt full of powder .
Its a mild recoil and plenty for knock downs and Popers .
Just sayin.
Rooster
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com