Author Topic: Springfield Trapdoor "rear" sights  (Read 12343 times)

Offline 1SG Yoak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Springfield Trapdoor "rear" sights
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:48:32 AM »
Greetings and felicitations,

I recently obtained an H&R "Officer's Model" 1873 Springfield Trapdoor (LBH Commemerative) 45/70. It has the tang sight, but no "rear" sight on the barrel. I know S&S carries the 1873 rear sight, but has anyone had this or something similiar smithed on their rifle?

Thanks in advance
First Sergeant J. R. Yoak

GAF#731; SASS#45295; BOLD#432

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Springfield Trapdoor "rear" sights
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:00:24 AM »
All you do is first obtain one - have it blued to match - then have the barrel drilled and tapped.

There's almost zero 'gunsmithing' required and a good machine shop can do the work.

The 'problem' is cosmetic - since the rear sight base 'will' obscure the top of the lettering on the barrel.

If you opt to install it - it works well with the front sight as installed - but you may wish to change that out for a Beach folding globe sight, as many were provided with one.

Dixie has a reasonably-priced one - Axtell has a better version.

Instead of the Model 1873 sight, you'll want the Model 1879 'Rifle' sight - marked on the sight base with an 'R'.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline 1SG Yoak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:50:57 AM »
All you do is first obtain one - have it blued to match - then have the barrel drilled and tapped.

There's almost zero 'gunsmithing' required and a good machine shop can do the work.

The 'problem' is cosmetic - since the rear sight base 'will' obscure the top of the lettering on the barrel.

If you opt to install it - it works well with the front sight as installed - but you may wish to change that out for a Beach folding globe sight, as many were provided with one.

Dixie has a reasonably-priced one - Axtell has a better version.

Instead of the Model 1873 sight, you'll want the Model 1879 'Rifle' sight - marked on the sight base with an 'R'.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Great info. Why the 1879 rifle sight? And would a machine shop know where to put the sight for proper placement? Does S&S have the 1879?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:23:22 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 01:18:52 PM »
It's essentially the same information I gave you on your earlier query on the 'BROW' forum...

You use the Model 1879 rear sight because that's the sight supplied by Springfield Armory when they built those rifles.

It's a more usable sight than the Model 1873.

S&S Firearms - and possibly Dixie - should have a ready supply of them still.

All a machinist will need to know is where the first hole measures to - you can get that by checking an original, or when I get home, I'll measure mine.

All Trapdoor rear sights have the same-length distance for rear sight installation - when a new sight came up for issue, all that was needed was to unscrew the screws and drop the new on in place.

No record of any of the Buffington rear sights is noted - they came about for the Model 1884 rifles.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline 1SG Yoak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 10:14:55 AM »
It's essentially the same information I gave you on your earlier query on the 'BROW' forum...

You use the Model 1879 rear sight because that's the sight supplied by Springfield Armory when they built those rifles.

All a machinist will need to know is where the first hole measures to - you can get that by checking an original, or when I get home, I'll measure mine.

All Trapdoor rear sights have the same-length distance for rear sight installation - when a new sight came up for issue, all that was needed was to unscrew the screws and drop the new on in place.

No record of any of the Buffington rear sights is noted - they came about for the Model 1884 rifles.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Yes it was, thanks again. Did you have time to get a measurement?

Thanks

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:09:20 PM »
Currently - I'm OCONUS.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline 1SG Yoak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 09:49:09 PM »
Currently - I'm OCONUS.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Okay, "when you get home", then.

Thanks

Offline 1SG Yoak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 08:35:42 AM »

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

I checked S&S and they don't have an 1879 sight. THey have the 1877 carbine and the 1878 Rifle. Which would you suggest? Also, they have slotted and unslotted sight screws. I'm not familiar with "unslotted" screws (I'm not sure hex heads count). Suggestions?

Thanks,

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 09:20:10 AM »
Look at Dixie...

The rear sight that was most popular was the Model 1879 - they 'are' out there.

An 'un-slotted' screw was just that - sans screwdriver slot - and they were installed at the armory.

You don't need to do 'that' - just find the rear sight and the appropriate screws and get them blued properly.

As to your earlier request for measurements - 'ask' Dixie or S&S and someone should be happy to measure theirs for you - after all, they want to sell you something, so they'll need to accomodate you.

There's also a Trapdoor Collector's website - though their email eludes me.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 12:03:41 AM »
The S&S "1878" sight is in fact the 1879.  Its a typo.  They have the base screws as well.

I believe the other site referred to is this:  http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com