Author Topic: Vaquero barrel swap  (Read 3097 times)

Offline TomBullweed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Vaquero barrel swap
« on: March 15, 2010, 05:50:03 PM »
I have a old-model Vaquero Sheriff in .357 SSTL and want to swap the barrel and cylinder to a .45 Colt barrel and cylinder that I have acquired.  My gun has some engraving that I do not want to givve up. 

Does anyone know of a gunsmith in/near North Carolina that they can suggest for this project?  This would likely include cutting the 5.5" barrel to 4", remounting the front sight (that bumpy-blady  thing that I forget to use when shooting) and checking the chamber to barrel alignment.

Offline TomBullweed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Vaquero barrel swap
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »
I found a local smith that got this job done.  It set me back quite a bit more than expected as the barrel had to be turned and the forcing cone recut to get the sight to line up.  It shoots groups half the size of my original Vaquero and I am happy.

My suggestion to anyone looking at a caliber conversion is to expect to spend $250 for the cylinder, barrel and smith work.  Unless the gun is exceptional to start with, it makes more sense (cents) to just trade for the gun you want.

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:17:20 AM »
A new gun is no doubt the easiest option, but a new barrel and carefully cut cylinders are a good way to go as well. Not cheap, but niceeeeeeeee!
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:21:20 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com