Author Topic: New Taylor Six-Shooters: Island Girl & Runnin' Iron  (Read 8883 times)

Offline ShenandoahRed

• Citizen
  • SASS # 90445
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Taylor Six-Shooters: Island Girl & Runnin' Iron
« on: December 03, 2010, 01:03:12 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Taylor's new revolvers: Island Girl and Runnin'Iron? Match ready?
Does Runnin' Iron have a choice of barrel lengths and calibers? Is Runnin' Iron for slinging real lead or
just powder for the riding events? I would like to get a match ready .38 Spl. / .357, w/ 5 1/2" barrel,
and comes in stainless steel finish.

Thanks,

Shenandoah Red

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
Re: New Taylor Six-Shooters: Island Girl & Runnin' Iron
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 01:36:02 PM »
Certianly the Runnin' Iron will shoot cartridges as well as blanks.  But doesn't that one have a turned down hammer?  Check to be sure that hammer is legal for regular SASS and not just mounted.

Offline ShenandoahRed

• Citizen
  • SASS # 90445
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 03:07:28 PM »
Certianly the Runnin' Iron will shoot cartridges as well as blanks.  But doesn't that one have a turned down hammer?  Check to be sure that hammer is legal for regular SASS and not just mounted.

I don't know. To me it looks like it has a low-profile hammer. What do you think?   ???

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/new-products.tpl

Shenandoah Red

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:42:04 PM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:25:35 PM »
There was a time when a hammer like that (both low-profile and fat spur) would definitely have been SASS-legal only for mounted shooting (external modification rule) and CMSA-legal.  But those SASS  rules have changed somewhat and I haven't kept up with the details.  That's why I mentioned that if you plan to use it for SASS then you should check to see if it is approved (if nobody here knows for sure, Taylors can tell you).

Offline ShenandoahRed

• Citizen
  • SASS # 90445
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 10:18:57 PM »
Here is the reply that I received from Taylor Firearms regarding their new Runnin' Iron and SASS legality. My email questions have been answered by Keri McDonald @ Taylor Firearms. What do you think, about McDonald's reply, Abilene? That Runnin' Iron is SASS legal because it had not been altered by a SASS shooter.

Shenandoah Red
SASS # 90445

-------------------------------------------------------

The Runnin’ Iron is SASS legal.  The gun is manufactured with the lower profile hammer, thus making it legal because the shooter has not modified the gun in any way.  The gun is available in .357Mag which also accepts .38Sp ammunition.

Keri

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2010 7:40 PM
To: Keri McDonald
Subject: Re: Runnin' Iron SASS Legal?

Keri,

Thanks for your informative replies, much appreciated. I inquired about Runnin' Iron, in the CAS City Gun Review Forum. A respondent, wondered if the hammer was legal for regular SASS matches,in addition to the mounted side matches. I posted the URL of the photo of Runnin' Iron for examination of my respondent. This was his reply:

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:25:35 pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a time when a hammer like that (both low-profile and fat spur) would definitely have been SASS-legal only for mounted shooting (external modification rule) and CMSA-legal.  But those SASS  rules have changed somewhat and I haven't kept up with the details.  That's why I mentioned that if you plan to use it for SASS then you should check to see if it is approved (if nobody here knows for sure, Taylors can tell you).
------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the hammer of Runnin' Iron legal for regular SASS matches? I am not interested in the blank firing mounted matches.

Also, is running iron available in .38 Spl / .357?

Thanks,

Shenandoah Red

Offline Bitter Creek Jack

• Citizen
    • Temporary Rockcastle Site
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 10:49:01 PM »
I have shot the Runnin Iron's and they are great.  The hammer is the same hammer as the Super Blackhawk hammer.  I know of one shooter that has shot with a set at EOT, and may other big SASS events with no problem at all.  He got them right after Winter Range, and has shot them since they came in.  I haven't had my hands on the Island Girl guns so I have no comment on them.

They are smooth as all get out straight out of the box.  I am having to really think hard, because I am thinking of getting a pair myself.
Rockcastle Rangers  Temporary Website for club www.rlsphoto.net
Highland Regulators (Possum Trot)
Knob Creek Gunfighters Guild
Dooley and Dunnit Member

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 11:41:02 PM »
A few years ago Ruger's Montado (Vaquero with a turned down hammer) was only allowed for Mounted.  But lots of folks wanted to be able to use that hammer, or other hammers with a lower profile.  I guess the rule change must have basically said that any hammer shape is okay as long as it is offered that way from a manufacturer.  Looks like the guns are being used, so you're good to go!

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 11:27:49 AM »
The Island Girl pistols are ready for serious competition straight out of the box.  They actually came out several years ago, Island Girl won the first ever New England Regional shooting her demo pair.  They were developed as a concentrated effort through her, Marshal Harland Wolff and Taylors.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com