Author Topic: UPDATE INFO FROM TAYLORS, first hand  (Read 4990 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
UPDATE INFO FROM TAYLORS, first hand
« on: June 01, 2005, 08:30:11 PM »
Howdy pards,

I was talking to Sue at Taylors.  The 56-50 rifle length is in the works.  Should be out later this year.  Initially will be in 56-50 only, at least for now.

Talked to her about taking out the right hand extractor blade on the 44 and 45 Spencers to improve reliabilty.  She said they have heard about this, but would not endorse or disclaim it. She just doesn't know enouigh about it.  I will check with Tammy in a week or so.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: UPDATE INFO FROM TAYLORS, first hand
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 05:49:27 AM »
TL-

Glad to hear they have finally got the rifle length version nearly ready.  I've been bugging them about that since the first carbines came out years ago.

Some of the .44 and .45 carbines have extractor problems.  Tommy, their gunsmith, sometimes cuts the lip off the right extractor.  The extractor needs to remain in the rifle otherwise the cartridge may slew too far to the right and jam on loading.  Recommend you talk to Tommy (not Tammy) about what needs to be done.

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 06:08:20 AM »
US Scout,

How did you contact Tom, their gunsmith?  Is there a direct # to his location?  Or do you just ask to be transferred to him when calling?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:24:19 PM »

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 07:41:17 PM »
I shoot the Armisport with blanks that I make form 44 magnum brass.  I removed the LEFT extractor from my 44 Russian model and it reduced the jamming problems dramatically.  Another trick I found is that when levering the gun hold it vertical with the muzzle pointing up in the air and work the lever quickly.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 05:37:53 AM »
Two Flints,

Just call Taylor's regular phone line and ask to speak to Tommy.  He is right next door to the office.  If its not hunting season, he is usually in.

Scout

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 08:08:35 AM »
Hi US Scout,

Thanks for the info, I was also wondering if a Taylor Spencer ever needs repair, do you know what procedure to follow?  Whom do you speak to on this?  Do you still go directly to Tom, or one of the lady's incharge there?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 09:33:24 AM »
The ladies in the front office (there are only 2-3 of them) don't know anything about gun repairs so go direct to Tom for the answers. 

Taylor's are good folks but there are only about 6 folks working there, and Tammy and/or Sue are sometimes out at the shows, matches, etc.  Tom is the one you want to talk to if your Spencer is having problems or you need a replacement part of any kind.  The ladies up front handle the finance part, but Tom is the one who knows guns.

I had one of the first Spencers off the boat and it had a lot of problems (as might be expected with a newly introduced firearm).  I worked with both Tammy and Tom in getting it fixed, and they were really good about trying to make it work to my satisfaction, but after two years the rifle had spent more time in their shop than in my safe.  They finally swapped it for another one that works fine (though I had a part fail that they promptly replaced). 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com