Author Topic: Lyman Mould Master XX trouble?  (Read 10893 times)

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Lyman Mould Master XX trouble?
« on: February 22, 2010, 10:58:28 AM »
Howdy all. I have an old Lyman Mould Master XX that is now taking a long time to heat up, and doesnt get near as hot as it used to. It does still melt lead, but even if I add a little bit to the melted, it takes another 10-15 minutes to be ready again.
I contacted Lyman for replacement parts, but they offer no parts for this anymore.
Does anyone know of other replacement parts (assuming thermostat), that will work?
Thanks.
DM (who doesnt want to spend that much on a new one when he is saving for a Star Sizer)
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
  • Liked:
Re: Lyman Mould Master XX trouble?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:02:25 PM »
Yep, read that one. Too cold to take it apart tonite tho, but maybe this weekend.

DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:47:23 PM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:05:24 PM »
Howdy boys-read this post some time ago, don't know if you have your problem resolved or not D.M., but I had the same problem with a Lyman MM XX that was purchased in the late 70's. Upon calling Lyman, they advised they no longer had parts for the MM XX pot, but directed me to Kings Repair out of Raytown, Missouri (816 area code). I callled the business and talked with and at length with the owner about everything from Lyman pots to relatives of mine from the "Show Me State'. The new thermostat isnot an exact duplicate, but can be fitted to work. The guy at Kings sent a diagram with the new thermostat on how to install and I called him once with questions I had after receiving, which I was advised was a better one than the original, he was happy to be of help. I was told I could control the heat better and more precisly, advised he sells alot of therms to Lyman MM XX owners. Hope this may help or be of use to any one having problem in the future. Cost was around $45, cheaper than a new Lyman and I didn't want a Lee.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:40:29 PM »
Thanks for that info Crow Choker. And welcome to CasCity.
Lyman did give me that info, but I havent had a chance to call Kings yet. I am glad to hear of some first hand experience with them and the refit.
How does it work? Heat up faster and recover faster?
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »
Howdy Dalton, Apologize for not gettin back sooner to your question. Sorry to say I haven't fully got the ol' Lyman MM XX back to form yet. In one way I hated to post the information ref Kings repair as I thought you or others may wonder how the 'refit' worked, but figured sittin on the info may keep you or others from gettin your MM XX  back in shape. I did go over the refit with a gent from my church who repairs electric motors and he advised there is no reason for it not to work, said he has done like refits with thermosat controlled heaters. The refit to my MM XX is on the 'to do' list along with some unfinished leather work, knives, and a Uberti Remington C&B. Hate to get 'em all done to soon as my 'ol shootin pard Jubal Starbuck may go into shock if I get all of my unfinished projects completed. I've been casting from a electric open pot, dippin em' all by hand, but do plan on gettin the MM XX goin this spring. Will report back. By the way, I'm a neighbor of yours to the east-North Central Iowa.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:17:25 AM »
I understand that, Crow Choker.
I havent had a chance to take mine apart yet to see if its something simple, either. Maybe this weekend.
If you make it to Grand Island, look me up!
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 09:49:54 AM »
Good Saturday morning to ya Dalton, will keep the Grand Island stop in mind, have cousins in the Denver area that have been trying to get me out there for along time. Maybe can make the trip when your group is having a shoot. Re the MM XX, when you take it apart, check to see if the small ceramic rod  that is in the thermosat is not broken. Thats what did mine in-it is on the lower or upper portion of the unit and seperates the metal strips that help control the heat/temp. I tried to replace it buy taking an old 'milk house heater" apart, taking its thermo(which would not fit in the MM), cutting the ceramic rod to fit, and putting the whole works back together, and reinstalling it in the pot. All was to no avail-might as well have spit in the wind. Looked at buying a new space heater  with a like thermosat, could get them for around $25, but my fellow churchman/electrician advised it would not be of the right heat range needed. Tried every electric retail supply outlet/supplier in my area and they could not locate an appropriate thermo for the Lyman. When talking with Lyman, they advised they ran out of their supply years before and couildnot,  get any more of the type needed, advised them with all of the MM XX out in the country, they should have figured out something, again-spittin in the wind. I then contacted KIngs in Missouri-they will install it,  at the time I believe it was around $70 vs the $45 for sending me the thermo. The guy at Kings(beleive his name was John) advised he has sent out and done alot of MM XX refits, said he would rather have a rebuilt Lyman MM XX than a new Lee(his opinion), I like them better too, not that the Lee's do the job. Rambled enough, hope the info helps. Yers Crow Choker

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 10:12:44 AM »
If it is just slow than you may just have dirty connections. I have fixed more than one old Saeco pot by just taking it apart and making sure all the connections are good, otherwise you won't get the pot to full power. I have also dealt with King, very helpful guy, knows his stuff.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 09:10:42 AM »
Checking with you Dalton, did you ever get your Lyman Mold Master XX fixed, repaired, up an' running? Mine is still in the "gonna do it, gotta get it done, tomorrow, next week-end, some rainy day MODE".  Also if I may be bold and ask, is your 'handle' name of Masterson chosen due to any blood relationship to the name? My mothers madian name was such, her Dad, my Grandfather grew up in Missiouri, worked on cattle ranches in the west in the late 1800's-early 1900's, rode a horse over much of the west. Just wondered if their was any relationship? Have blood relationship to some of the 'wests' known names.

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 03:00:15 PM »
Actually, mine is on the list for this weekend I am hoping. Its supposed to be wet and rainy, and tonite I am hoping to settle in to the loading shop, and reload, size, etc. And work on my MMXX. Hopefully....
Nope, no relation to the Mastersons, just picked two last names that made a name, and stuck em together.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 10:07:01 AM »
Checking with ya Dalton(and all who may be have had similiar problem), did you ever get your Lyman MMXX up and going? About a month ago I finally installled the new thermostat I got from Kings Repair. Had to do some fabrication to get the new thermo to stay put. Involved making a metal holder, cutting some brass shims, drilling holes, different stove bolts to hold everything in place, attaching new wire ends, etc. Fired her up, threw in about 18#'s of lead and played with the termo to find desired temp settings(using Lyman lead thermometer). John at Kings had advised me that the new thermostat would allow more precise settings, he was right. At first I set it at around a 6 o'clock setting, that heated the lead to around 1000*F and going up, kept backing it off slightly noting the temp at each new setting. Found that a 3 o'clock setting put the temp at 700*F. Just turning the stud on the thermo slightly, I could adjust the pot temp with small plus/minus degress of temp. At that time I didn't have time to do any casting so I shut her down. Yesterday (July 3) I was going to head to my favorite shootin spot, taking along a couple of 44 cap and ballers. While gettin' everything in order to take along, I discovered that, horror of horrors, I only had enough .454 balls to shoot 38 rds with. I thought I had another container filled with em, only to discover that container "marked .454 cast round balls", was filled with cast .303 rifle bullets. The penalty for failure to remark a container. Thought I'd just shoot until they were gone, but didn't want to 'dirty' em up only shooting that few rds, thought I'd maybe just take some cartridge guns shooting instead, but I wanted to 'make my own fireworks' this weekend. The fact I would need some .454 balls anyway, prompted me to 'fire' up thee 'ol Lyman MMXX. Been doing all this rambling to report that in around four hrs of casting the 'pot' worked like a charm. Was able to keep the temp at approx 700*F which seemed to work best for the pure lead I was using. Was able to 'fine tune' any needed temp settings and didn't have any 'known' problems come up. After I shut 'her down', I had around 400+ .454 balls and approx 300 44 cal Mav Dutchman bullets. Was happy with the results. Glad to get back to bottom pouring vs. dippin' em out with a ladle. Hoping it continues to work , will find out today, plan to 'fire' her up later on today. Gotta head to church. Happy July 4th. Yers, Crow Choker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com