Author Topic: WaddWatsonEllis Belduque WIP  (Read 151716 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: WaddWatsonEllis Belduque WIP
« Reply #320 on: April 29, 2010, 08:26:11 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #321 on: April 29, 2010, 08:49:04 AM »
I think the real question here is do psycho-mariachis get bigger tips?

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #322 on: April 29, 2010, 08:56:10 AM »
Tips, TIPS?  

We were supposed to get TIPS?

Now I am feeling a bit psychotic ... where's that '51 Colt .... gonna REALLY load it and go get them back tips!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #323 on: Today at 03:57:33 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #323 on: April 29, 2010, 12:59:17 PM »
TIPS?

We don't got no TIPS!

We don't NEED no Steenkin' TIPS!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Messerist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #324 on: April 29, 2010, 08:53:18 PM »
So that's what all those grizzled Highwaymen were after holding up those stages and mail hacks, Tips!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #325 on: April 29, 2010, 09:31:29 PM »
Could be ... if you stop and think of all those kindesses that were given in the name of a cowboy uh, 'noblesse oblige', well maybe some of them thought that they were owed ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Dutchman Dick

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #326 on: August 01, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »
How short can a belduque blade be...and still be considered a belduque? I ask, because Crazy Crow Traders has one for sale, available with either a horn or bone handle, with a 5-3/4" blade. Price seems decent. I read somewhere that they are made in India, and come with a blunt edge (due to Indian export laws, supposedly), but sharpen up pretty good. But can a knife that short still be considered a "true" belduqe?

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #327 on: August 01, 2010, 01:30:38 PM »
I can't answer your question about the length, but the knives made by Windlass Cutlery of Indian for Atlanta Cutlery are pretty good.  I have several including my Army officer's saber and Marine NCO sword.  I've compared them to some of the best and they measure up quit nicely for my purposes.  Small details aren't as perfect, but I'm betting there are more NCOs and junior officers with these than with the much more expensive ones.

The smaller knives do well and take a decent edge.  I'd avoid stainless if you have a option , but I don't like stainless anyway.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #328 on: August 02, 2010, 12:34:37 AM »
I have a Crazy Crow Belduque ... and here is what I have found ...

If I was still sailing, I would drill a hole where the final rivet is, put in a hollow rivet and pass some line through it.

Pro:

*It fits comfortable in the hand, is probably a great knife for about any camp or sailing use I could thing of ....

* It is just plain handy ...

Con:

I used it on some food with an oil base like pasta salad .... it seems to have permanently left oil in the knife blade.

I have been afraid to sharpen it cause it looks like it was chromed ... and that I would but through the chrome finish if I sharpened it

Forty Rod, I would appreciate any assistance you might give on hotreat this blade and get it sharp ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #329 on: August 02, 2010, 10:41:50 AM »
Chromed?  I haven't come across this yet.  Most of Crazy Crow's knives... but not all... are listed as carbon steel or stainless.  I haven't bought any stainless because I am simply adverse to stainless anything in the line of cutlery.

I have four small stag handled knives made in Germany in three sizes. One is a dead ringer for one my grandfather brought back from Switzerland in 1894 or 1897.  (He was there twice and I don't which trip produced the knife.)

I also have a Columbia River dagger from them.

All of these knives take and hold a decent edge, but not an excellent one.

I do have one stainless knife, an 8" stag handles Bowie by Linder of Germany, that I may have bought from them, but don't recall for sure.

I have an Atlanta Cutlery Mountain Man Bowie with a carbon steel blade that is a nice knife but it weighs a ton and is too long for my purposes, and the previously mentioned saber and sword.  They do have stainless blades, but I never meant to use them for anything other than display.

I wish I could help you with the problem, but I have never run into one like it before.

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #330 on: August 02, 2010, 11:25:55 AM »
Forty Rod,

Actually you have helped quite a bit .... perhops I will send an email to Crazy Crow to find out about the knife ... It actually came quite dull, and I was thinking it was a looks only, show-an-tell, this-is-what-a-Belduque-would-look-like knife .... and other than stabbing, it is less sharp then the avereage dinner knife  ...

So I  probably interpreted it the wrong wat .... as I said, I will email Crazy Crow and find out that they have to say .... and I will let you know the results ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #331 on: August 02, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »
P.S. It makes a great little steak knife ... I have used it in reemactments, and it is quite handy around the food prep area .... and since a Belduques gets it shape and history from Flemish/Dutch butcheer knives, I have little wonder it is so handy ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: August 02, 2010, 11:52:36 PM »
Went back and checked on the Linder Bowie knife.  I got it from mike Shelhart  (Temecula) at a Cowboys event in Norco.

Can't blame that one on Crazy Crow.  ::)   It's actually a pretty good knife considering it's a stainless blade.  It won't ever do to shave with or stand any hard use, but it's fair enough.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: August 03, 2010, 12:38:33 AM »
I have not heard from Crazy Crow, but I only emailed then this am.

I have the Crazy Crow Large Belduque with me right now no marks on the blade or anywhere on the knife to show who produced it ...

I tried some Never-Dull to the stains on the knife ... it took out about 90% of the stains ... and tried sharpening it with the the 'diamond sharpening stick' from my kitchen knife set and it helped a little ... I might could cut a piece of steak with it now certainly not shave ... *S*

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: August 03, 2010, 05:34:19 PM »
I had a reply from Crazy Crow when I came home today ... and I am copying it in its entirelty:

From -> djb  (188631)
These kinves are from India and per customs could not
be sharpened.  You can sharpen these blades just like
you would any other carbon steel blades.  Let us know
if we can help you with any thing else. Thanks Debbie
cust serv 800-786-6210 X116

So, although I believe I could keep the blade sharp, I think for the initial sharpening, I will send it to a blade sharpener.

NCOWS #3403

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: August 03, 2010, 06:57:59 PM »
Let us know how it turns out.  You have my curiositizer working now.

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: August 04, 2010, 09:31:23 AM »
Back during our time period, the Japanese Samurai were allowed to test the sharpness of their blades by beheading convicted criminals (and obnoxious peasants) legally and without retribution. Is it possible that a Californio could have met a Japanese immigrant and picked up that belief system? I'm sure it would conclusively demonstrate the quality of the blade for us, and goodness knows there are plenty of criminals (and obnoxious peasants) around that no one would miss.

Just a thought...

<evil grin>

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: August 04, 2010, 10:26:38 AM »
Kflach

I often joke that I went from a 'commie pinko' (or so I was called) to being a right leaning Democrat just by moving from South Carolina to Califonia .... *S*

So in this left leaning state where every life has meaning, no matter how miscreant, I doubt that they would have any sens of jumor about beheading anybody ...

But it is certainly an interesting thought and a temptation for sure ...*S*

NCOWS #3403

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: August 04, 2010, 10:42:44 AM »
 ;D