Author Topic: WaddWatsonEllis Belduque WIP  (Read 151712 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: WaddWatsonEllis Belduque WIP
« Reply #260 on: April 15, 2010, 11:14:53 PM »
Josh,

This is really special ... I just showed the pic to my roomie and even he had to admit it was really something!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #261 on: April 16, 2010, 07:09:08 PM »
Totally bitchin dude! :) 8)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline KidTerico

• kidterico
  • Top Active Citizen
  • I,m to small to turn the other cheek.
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: April 16, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »
Josh thats one great piece of art your creating. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Advertising

« Reply #263 on: Today at 03:22:42 AM »

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: April 17, 2010, 10:49:21 AM »
Thanks alot fer all the nice comments Pards.   Sure is startin to come together now  ;)

Today we're gonna see how I went about closing the opened bottom sections of the toe.  There are different ways to go about this so this is just how I decided to do it.  We begin by lining up our 1/8" silver sheet how it will sit on the toe and tracing where we need to cut it out.

Now we've got it rough cut so we size things up and make some marks where we need to grind away silver to achieve the needed shape.

Getting close to where we wanna be with this side. 

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: April 17, 2010, 10:58:37 AM »
Now we are going to use our low temp silver solder to cap this toe off.   Remeber that everything else is brazed with the 1400 degree brazing rod so we should be able to get this soldering done with no risk of overheating the braze

Now we'll take a quick trip across the grinder to clean it up a little and see how our joint looks before investing alot of time in the hand work.

Looks like we've got a good joint and can proceed with doing hand filing and sanding to shape up the toe and remove excess solder and braze.

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: April 17, 2010, 11:09:03 AM »
Here is what we're starting out with, my most aggressive cutting file

Here is a file that I've ground the teeth off the edge making it a "safe edge" file.  This file is used to get right down into the corner without cutting into the body part of the toe

Now before we go gittin the cart before the horse we're gonna stop with working on this side before it gets too purdy an fabricate and solder the cap on the other side.  

A bit of solder and Voila

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: April 17, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
Now before we go wastin a bunch of time cleaning up the fin we'll grind the fin down to it's final shape and then do the finishin

Here's a good shot to show that we really only got the shape of the cap close before soldering it on and will do the final shaping as part of the hand finishing

Sure though I had taken a few more pics of the process of filing and hand sanding to get to a buff-able finish on the toe  :-[
I guess not, LOL  but here we are after clean-up and a quick buff with white buffing compound. 

I should mention here that buffers are E-X-T-R-E-M-E-L-Y   dangerous tools and should be used only by those who respect it's power to make a projectile out of whatever is being buffed.  Thankfully we didn't have any safety problems here ;)

Thats all for todays installment Pards !  Thanks again to all the folks who are follerin along or just stopping in to check out the Belduque

Josh  ;D

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: April 17, 2010, 05:38:52 PM »
Josh,

That is just plain georgeous!

I wamt it!  I want it!  I want it!

(I feel like a three year old kid ... second childhood maybe?)
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: April 18, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
Now that we've got the toe purdy much finished we're gonna git back to working on the throat.

We're getting started by marking out which side of the top faces the front just so we avoid any mistakes while grinding the top to final shape.

Here you can see how the top of the throat sticks out from the sheath body creating a shelf that will keep the sheath from slippin down into WWE's botas.

Now we're gonna git started with cleaning up the solder joint that connects the top of the throat to the body. The first tool we're using to get rid of the bulk is a regular old wood chisel.

This shot shows just how thick the solder is here,  LOL

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: April 18, 2010, 03:51:20 PM »
Of course makin knives is always hazardous and I hardly notice small nicks, cuts, scratches etc.  but things like this do tend to happen regularly  ;)

Moving forward we progress to hand sanding the joint we've been working on

Although I still need to do some more work with sandpaper a gave the throat a quick trip over the buffer to show exactly where I need to focus my sanding to get an even hand sanded finish thats ready to be buffed to the final finish

WWE had asked that the sheath be made to carry the knife edge forward so this is how things are comming together

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #270 on: April 18, 2010, 04:02:19 PM »
Now due to the fact that ole WWE requested edge forward carry after I had made the damascus lock something needed to be done because going edge forward would have sandwiched the lock between the knife handle and WWE's leg.  I had to do a bit of thinking on this and figured before making a new piece I'd try to see if I could modify the one I made to work correctly.  A couple of strategic twists helped get things squared away.

Now that I've got the lock working as intended it's time to allign it on the throat and use our transfer punch to mark where the pin needs to go on the top of the throat.

Punched

Drilled.  I drilled the hole almost all the way through but not quite.

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #271 on: April 18, 2010, 04:10:25 PM »
Now we insert a silver pin into the hole, flux, and solder it in place.

Now we can put the damascus in place and trace the shape to match the throat top

Now we've got the lock completed and fit together and all the shaping done on the throat and toe so we can take it all apart now

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #272 on: April 18, 2010, 04:18:57 PM »
With the sheath all apart we need to continue the hand finish of the throat and get it buffed to the final finish before installing the lock .  Now that we're essentially done with our throat and toe we can begin putting the finish on the sheath body.

Sure is messy business,  LOL. 

We're getting there now Pards !

Of course we did have to clean up all the solder from around the pin

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: April 18, 2010, 04:23:21 PM »
Lets just have a quick look Fellas

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: April 18, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »
Now our retension lock is made from a piece of damascus but is currently covered in scale from all the heating and bending it took to get it into this shape.  To get the damascus to etch and reveal the pattern we've got to remove all that scale.  It's kind of a pain in the rear but the only way to accomplish this task is with sandpaper wrapped around some pinstock but it's a nice touch and certainly worth the extra effort.

Here it is etched

And now all the prep is done so we can install the lock on the throat by slipping it down over the pin and peening the pin

Here's a final shot of the throat and toe ready for the final installation once the sheath body is ready.

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: April 18, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »
That's all for today Pards.

We are dwindling down to the very final finish work now.  Building up coats of Tru-oil on the sheath body and final assembly will take place over the next couple of days.

Of course I still also need to do a once over on the knife itself and sharpen but that's really about it, other than getting some finished pics.

-Josh

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: April 18, 2010, 06:07:31 PM »
Josh that is fantastic work. You have done yourself proud. That is one awesome knife and sheath
combo. WWE you are one lucky man. And by the way pards, I have been using the knives that
Josh made for me on a variety of different chores, and they are doing the job, and asking for more.
You won't go wrong with a Josh Dabney knife. Take care.

Shotgun Steve

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #277 on: April 18, 2010, 06:52:02 PM »
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: April 18, 2010, 10:16:47 PM »
Really funny Rick,

But I am no 'Mack the Knife' ... I am going to have to learn how to keep such a nice knife ... when I ordered it, I had no idea of what a superb knife I would be recieving .....

NCOWS #3403

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: April 19, 2010, 09:11:40 AM »
WWE, why are wanting to carry it edge forward? Are you going to cross draw it? Do you have some secret ninja knife technique that you use?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com