Author Topic: ASM Italy Firearms. (Fixed the title)  (Read 17393 times)

Offline northwestgrizzly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ASM Italy Firearms. (Fixed the title)
« on: January 27, 2010, 04:09:15 PM »
Does any one know much about this company and there products, quality and such? I am un able to find much about them on-line. Thank you.
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: AMS Italy Firearms.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 12:44:14 AM »
Did you mean ASM?

If you did (Army San Marcos) is/was an Italian gun. I don't know much about the rest of their products, but EMF had their SAA's made by them for a short period of time. Reason it was short period of time waz because they were mostly terrible. None of the parts fit any other Colt/clones, and the screws were a metric.

I believe they did rifles and I think they were pretty good.

If you ment AMS, then ignore the above.

good shootin
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 02:31:45 AM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I think they were swallowed up by Uberti ... which was swallowed up (bought) by Beretta ... which may now be a division of Benelli.

Clear as mud, right?

Curly mentioned their quality control issues; it may be true, but at some times you could get a very fine product.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

Re: ASM Italy Firearms. (Fixed the title)
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:02:25 PM »

Offline northwestgrizzly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 03:27:51 AM »
Did you mean ASM?

I did mean ASM...I just fat fingered the title. Thank you for the information!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they were swallowed up by Uberti ... which was swallowed up (bought) by Beretta ... which may now be a division of Benelli.

Clear as mud, right?

Curly mentioned their quality control issues; it may be true, but at some times you could get a very fine product.

I was looking at getting a Colt Walker 1847 repro....but I've not been reading good things about them, so I may beg off on it.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:10:54 AM »
ASM=  Armi San Marco was rather small compared to Aldo Uberti, FLLI Pietta, Davide Pedersoli & C. it was run by then Son in Law of Aldo Uberti.
The Shop had some quite capable artisans , and they often offered pieces the others did not ... outside the main models Colt Army's ,Navies ,SAA etc. & Remington's,
The issue was, QC on many, partly because importers ( Traditions, EMF, Navy Arms, later even Cimarron and for a short time USPFA ) clamored for the the products.... ASM barely kept up. 
Traditions and Sportsmans Warehouse, were selling them hand over fist and at discounts even closeouts. I remember prices were
below $100 at these two large lot wholesalers.
ASM could and did make some good guns, If you were lucky and got one, you would have a nice piece.
I had one of their Walkers, it was a nice as any I've seen including 2 Gen. BP series.

American Frontier Arms, Dave Anderson develop the conversions , his were good. There are a fine set shown in Adler's book Metallic Cartridge Conversions.
But, a lot were assembled in Gardone and these more often than not suffered.

However, if and quite often someone did get a gun with issues, Navy Arms, EMF and Cimarron had to take many back on warranty issues. they quit importing them.
ASM finally through in the towel, most of the employees are with the other makers now.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Jamie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 07:30:13 AM »
I've got an ASM Walker with stainless cylinder and barrel, the frame is color cased, and the grip is brass.  It's an excellent shooter, and the only complaints I've got are the fact that rapid cocking causes the cylinder to spin past the notch nearly every time.  The same thing is true in two other Walkers that I've fired, though I have no idea who made them as they belong to friends.  I assume that it is somewhat a design issue - tiny notch - HUGE cylinder - lots of inertia.  I did say complaints, and the second one is that it is hard work to get the cylinder off the base pin, and I mean HARD work once the gun has been fired.  I mean HARD! 
The other ASM's in my possession are an 1860 Army (half built for a stock attatchment, but not all machined out etc.) an 1958 brass framed Remington, and a pair of Police Pockets, one brass framed, one steel.  All work fine, and I've got no complaints, but I don't shoot 1-200 shots per week out of them either.
Jamie

Offline Long Branch Louie

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 11:49:39 AM »
I've had a Walker for some years, don't shoot it real often, but the pin is hard to get out of mine dirty as well. I don't know who made mine, insides were OK, but brass was a little rough, so I disassembled it and polished it up a little, now it's a very nice Walker. They are fun to shoot, the thing is so heavy even if you fill the cylinder with powder it don't recoil much....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »
I found a nice ASM 1860 Army in a pawn shop last year for a low price. At the NCOWS SW regional this year, Steel Horse Bailey and Ottawa Creek Bill  checked it and cleaned it for me. I've finally got all my components to shoot Cap and Ball.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 05:11:25 PM »
Before the UK government confiscated our handguns I used a pair of ASM SAA clones in .44/40 and they never missed a beat. Parts from these pistols would fit Colt revolvers and vice versa. To my mind they were the most accurate Italian copies of the SAA. There are still a few ASM percussion revolvers available over here.

Chance

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 05:30:59 PM »

Clear as mud, right?

Wellll ...not exactly  :)

ASM's owner married in the Uberti Family , Son in Law of Aldo Uberti..... Beretta, Uberti & Benelli merged ... Bought Importer Stoeger.

Beretta Corporate banner includes:
Uberti
Benelli Armi S.p.A.
Luigi Franchi S.p.A.
SAKO Firearms
Stoeger Industries
Burris Optics company
and a twenty per cent interest of the Browning Arms Company.

Offline northwestgrizzly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 03:24:57 AM »
Wow! Thanks for the info folks. Hmm I want one but I am going to try and do some horse trading by trading my NIB Taurus Gaucho 45LC 5.5" barrel for one. We'll see Thanks again folks.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 04:59:45 AM »
Wellll ...not exactly  :)

ASM's owner married in the Uberti Family , Son in Law of Aldo Uberti..... Beretta, Uberti & Benelli merged ... Bought Importer Stoeger.

Beretta Corporate banner includes:
Uberti
Benelli Armi S.p.A.
Luigi Franchi S.p.A.
SAKO Firearms
Stoeger Industries
Burris Optics company
and a twenty per cent interest of the Browning Arms Company.

OK - I said I wasn't sure, but I knew somebody would know the full deal.  Thanks, Major!  I was pretty sure those Italian companies were in cahoots with each other in some way!

;D

Wow!  I notice Sako is on the list you wrote.  I thought they were in Finland.  (?)

But, of course, the British monarchy is totally interwoven with the German (ex)Royal family!  Those pesky Europeans!  They sure get around, don't they ?!?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 05:55:11 AM »

OK - I said I wasn't sure, but I knew somebody would know the full deal.  Thanks, Major!  I was pretty sure those Italian companies were in cahoots with each other in some way!

;D

Wow!  I notice Sako is on the list you wrote.  I thought they were in Finland.  (?)

But, of course, the British monarchy is totally interwoven with the German (ex)Royal family!  Those pesky Europeans!  They sure get around, don't they ?!?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes Sir ...Sako Finland own by Beretta
Beretta itself is a 500 year old Company still owned and run by the same family , currently run by Ugo Gussalli Beretta.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com