Author Topic: Blueprints for Winchester 1876 parts?  (Read 4601 times)

Offline savage99t

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Blueprints for Winchester 1876 parts?
« on: January 26, 2010, 03:15:48 PM »
Hi, New to this site and just wondering if you guys have any idea where I can get parts prints for the Winchester 1876 rifle.   I work in a shop with some of the most modern CNC mills and Wire EDM machines on the market and I bought a new Chaparral in 45-75 that has some problems which thanks to this web sight I was already pre warned about.   Without making my post too long I'll just say I've always wanted a Winchester 1876 but couldn't afford one and had been waiting for Chaparral to work the bugs out before I bought one of their guns(I don't think that's going to happen by the way) but at the current price of the Chaparral I decided I'd take chance and I knew if it didn't work I could get the parts made to make it work.  I fired two shots before the pins that the toggle links attatch too bent and shut down the rifle because the headspace went from bad to really bad :).  I'm having him make the ends of the new toggles big enough that they bear against the bolt and receiver where the pins aren't taking forces they weren't designed too. I'd like to fix it by replacing all the cheesy internal parts I can.   I have a toolmaker drawing up the toggle links now and he'll have a couple made in a couple of days but he told me if he had prints he could've already had the parts made in a day.  I also want to make a new bolt because it's really cheesy.    Anyway if any of you know a source of prints it sure would speed things up and I can also make parts for you guys too.  Thanks

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Blueprints for Winchester 1876 parts?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 05:30:45 PM »
Welcome to the fire, Savage99t! :) 

Sounds like you need a set of mechanical drawings.  I did see a set on e-bay one time, but that's been a while.  Maybe Buck will will know of a source.

If you can lay your hands on a copy of Arthur Pirkle's book, Winchester Lever Action Repeating Firearms, Volume I, he describes parts in great detail including thead pitch and measurements.  Not sure how much use that would be....... :-\

Another option would be to purchase aftermarket links, or see if you can borrow an original to take patterns from.

Sorry I can't point you to the plans, but good luck, and keep us posted on your progress! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline peaches

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 11:22:28 AM »
hey 99T. I'm in Powell Wyoming and have acquired an 76. Receiver is really nice shape, stock was repaired by nails made into rivets most likely by a mountain man or the likes without access to just stuff. anywho im missing a couple parts and pins and got the small stuff. Anywho, the toggle link on the left side is good. the one on the right back half link is good but the front half is broken off at the  center pin. its actually a mirror almost of the left side one except for the little pin sticking out on the left side one. I took aprt the left side and was thinking of making by hand a copy. I have a small machine shop all manual equipment and so I was thinking that with 21st century and wire edm, water jet or laser these toggle links made from 4140 pre heat treated would be better than originals for wearing properties. I don't feel like buying one for about 3-4 grand to get some to copy one link exactly so reverse engineering the left side one I guess would be best bet. I cant find a mechanical drawing for them. were you able to find drawings? Question. did you ever make the parts you wanted to make and or would you be willing to make a set of toggle links for 76. they should be in pairs. theres plenty in 73's out there by lee shavers and buffalo arms sells them but cant find any 76 ones. mite be of interest to make a bunch as if done with wire edm or water jet can cut out quite a few all the same. anywho was wondering if you could help with making copy of originals. I have 3 original links to go by if needed. I;m in need of some side plates, they are gone, God knows where, and a firing pin, which I can get with out a problem like the links.  this is a third model with intregal rib on top for the dust cover. wait to hear from ya.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:41:03 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 12:44:45 AM »
hey 99T. I'm in Powell Wyoming and have acquired an 76....

Being as 99t made only 3 posts to this site, and the one above was nearly 7 years ago, he is not likely to see your post.  But good luck on your project!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com