Author Topic: ASM 1851 COLT .38 CONVERSION  (Read 9415 times)

Offline JOSE ENOS

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ASM 1851 COLT .38 CONVERSION
« on: January 16, 2010, 12:49:57 AM »
IN 1999 I BOUGHT FROM CIMARRON A SO-CALLED 1871 RICHARDS CONVERSION.

I IMMEDIATELY HAD IT ENGRAVED AND THEN FOUND, TO MY EVERLASTING SORROW, THAT THE QUALITY CONTROL WAS WORTHLESS.

APPARENTLY THE CYLINDER TEETH WERE NOT HEAT TREATED BECAUSE THEY WORE DOWN TO NOTHING, AND IT NO LONGER WILL PROPERLY INDEX OR STAY IN TIME.

ASM IS OUT OF BUSINESS, AND PARTS ARE UNAVAILIABLE.  I HAVE TOO MUCH INVESTED TO USE THE PISTOL FOR A PAPERWEIGHT.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO A REPLACEMENT CYLINDER?

THANKS, JOSE ENOS

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: ASM 1851 COLT .38 CONVERSION
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 01:02:30 AM »
Ask the fine folks at VTIgunparts.com.  You can call the phone number on their website and get lots of good advice.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline JOSE ENOS

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 01:25:05 AM »
FLINT:

THANKS FOR THE PROMPT REPLY.  I HAVE DEALT WITH VTI FOR OTHER REPLICA PARTS AND THEY ARE VERY HELPFUL.

BUT THEY SAID THAT MY CHANCES OF FINDING THE CYLINDER FOR THAT PARTICULAR CONVERSION RANKED RIGHT
 UP THERE WITH "HEN'S TEETH"

JOSE ENOS

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:28:14 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:23:46 AM »
Jose,

There is no source for ASM Conversion parts.  When the "big" importers dropped the ASM Conversions, they dumped their parts inventories for pennies.  Those parts are now gone.  Your only prayer is to watch the different Cowboy forums that have classifieds and pick up a "parts" gun in the hope the cylinder is useable.  I wouldn't get your hopes up though, as most of the parts guns have already been "parted out."
None of the other manufacturers conversion cylinders will fit.  I've tried.

Coffinmaker

Offline Raven

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ravens Roost Gunsmithing
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 08:33:56 AM »
Another option is to find a percussion cylinder and have it converted. It won't be cheap, about $300 but it is probably easyer to find an ASM percussion cylinder. Check with Lisa at VTI.
The work intails turnning the rear of the cylinder down to the ratchet, boring the chambers through and reaming for .38.

Regards
Raven

Offline White Buffalo Chip

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 09:04:29 AM »
Howdy JE,
I assume you've tried Numerich........
maybe a chance, who knows??

WBC :)
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
--George Washington--

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 09:42:30 AM »
I think Seth Hawkins is selling a pair.  If the engraved gun is that valuable to you, buy his for a supply of parts.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
If after everything else . . .

Display in a nice shadowbox along with other "Old West" memorabilia and count your blessings that it wasn't an even more expensive lesson? ;)

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Joe Lansing

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 11:09:57 PM »
    How about making new teeth?  The "teeth on original Starr revolvers are held in place with a screw and indexed with a pin. You may be able to bore out the back of the cylinder, thus removing the old teeth and press fit a ring with new teeth with a pin to keep it indexed.

J.L.

Offline JOSE ENOS

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 02:21:25 PM »
COFFINMAKER

YOU ARE CORRECT---NOBODY ELSE'S CYLINDERS FIT THOSE DARN ASM PISTOLS. IN FACT, THE NICE LADY AT VTI SAID THE SAME THING.

HOWEVER, ONE OF THE 'STORM' CONTRIBUTERS HAS COME TO THE RESCUE WITH A PAIR OF THE IDENTICAL CONVERSIONS, AND SO I CAN GET MINE BACK INTO SHOOTING CONDITION.

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS.

JOSE ENOS

Offline JOSE ENOS

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 02:34:49 PM »
RAVEN

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.  I HAD TALKED TO THE LADY AT VTI ABOUT ANY KIND OF CYLINDER SO THAT I COULD TURN IT DOWN AS YOU SUGGESTED--EVEN A .44 AND THEN LINING IT TO .38.

BUT SHE SAID NOBODY'S CYLINDERS FIT THE ASM, SO I WAS OUT OF LUCK.

I DID AS YOU SAID SEVERAL YEARS AGO FOR MY .36 NAVY COLT RICHARDS-MASON. ONE CHAMBER WAS DAMAGED, SO I GOT A REPLICA PERCUSSION CYLINDER AND TURNED IT OFF, ETC.  STAMPED THE COLT S/N ON IT AND WENT BACK TO OCCASIONALY SHOOTING IT.  WHEN IT IS HANDED DOWN TO MY SON, THE ORIGINAL CYLINDER WILL BE WITH IT SO NO "FRAUD" CAN BE CLAIMED.

JOSE ENOS

Offline JOSE ENOS

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 03:15:31 PM »
WHITE BUFFALO CHIP

THANKS FOR THE INPUT.  YEAH, I TRIED NUMERICH PLUS EVERY USED PARTS SUPPLIER I COULD FIND IN THE SHOTGUN NEWS.

NOTHING.  BUT I'M GLAD I JOINED CAS CITY, BECAUSE EVERYBODY IS CERTAINLY HELPFUL AND I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION.

JOSE ENOS

Offline JOSE ENOS

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 03:28:02 PM »
DUSTY MORNINGWOOD

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT.  YES, SETH HAWKINS CONTACTED ME AND I WILL PURCHASE HIS PAIR; ONE FOR PARTS AND ONE TO MY SON OR EITHER OF MY 2 GRANDSONS.

ALL 4 OF US SHOOT COWBOY ACTION, SO NO GUNS GO TO WASTE IN THIS FAMILY.

YES, THE ENGRAVED GUN IS VALUABLE TO ME BECAUSE OF THE MONEY SPENT; I'M JUST A VERY OLD RETIREE ON A FIXED INCOME.

DUSTY, I HAVE 2 RULES ABOUT GUNS:
1.  IF IT DOESN'T SHOOT, I DON'T WANT IT
2.  LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO SHOOT AN UGLY GUN.

JOSE ENOS

Offline JOSE ENOS

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 03:49:01 PM »
RIVER CITY JOHN

AS OLD AS I AM (I WAS HERE WHEN THEY INVENTED WATER), I HAVE HAD SOME RATHER EXPENSIVE LESSONS I TRY TO FORGET.

A SHADOW BOX IS A VALID IDEA, BUT IF IT DOESN'T SHOOT--I DON'T WANT IT IN THE HOUSE.

I DO HAVE A PISTOL IN A SHADOW BOX, BUT ONLY BECAUSE IT IS RARE.  BUT I DO TAKE IT OUT ON SPECIAL OCCASIONS AND SHOOT IT.

JOSE ENOS 

Offline JOSE ENOS

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 04:54:45 PM »
JOE LANSING

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE.  YEAH, SOMETHING LIKE A STARR MIGHT WORK.  HOWEVER, THERE IS NO GUNSMITH IN THIS TOWN.

MY PISTOL HAS BEEN TO OUT-OF-TOWN 'SMITHS, AND THEY DON'T EVEN WANT TO TALK ABOUT NEW TEETH.

JOSE ENOS

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 06:01:20 PM »
DUSTY, I HAVE 2 RULES ABOUT GUNS:
1.  IF IT DOESN'T SHOOT, I DON'T WANT IT
2.  LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO SHOOT AN UGLY GUN.

JOSE ENOS
Words to live by. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com