Author Topic: Very Fine Whiskey  (Read 9335 times)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Very Fine Whiskey
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:55:31 AM »
As last night I went to a New Year's Party. I've had a bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel for about 5 or 6 years and decided this was a good time to open it. Now I normally drink Rum, and not much of that, anyway that JDSB was the best whiskey I've ever drank. Several others who tried it really liked it too.
So what do ya'll like in a good whiskey?
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Jed Cooper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Very Fine Whiskey
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:02:18 PM »
A STRAW!!! ;) ;D ;D ;D    Jed
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 01:05:27 PM »
Jed has been known to drink a little Miller Lite too!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:22:34 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »
Gentleman Jack is purty smooth as well.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 01:08:17 PM »
A STRAW!!! ;) ;D ;D ;D    Jed

I was going to say a full bottle, but . . .

Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, Bullet are three of my favorite. Bullet has a neat, old-timey looking bottle too.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »
Guzzlers Gin,a real shmuuuth drink :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 06:11:43 PM »
Bullet has a neat, old-timey looking bottle too.

Yeah, that Jack Daniel's came in a square squat bottle that tapers up to a real honest to God stopper.
I'm keeping the bottle for something(?)

Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »

Single barrel is quite good (altho the 1992 bottling of JDSB was better,and I still have a taste left) I like the Gentleman Jack. I also enjoy Wild Turkey Rare Breed (110 proof) and Old GrandDad 114 (114proof!)

I keep a silver tray with old shot glasses at bottom of my whiskey bar, and friends and family come in for shots on holidays. Neat sociial spot.

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 07:57:10 PM »
Very fine whiskeys:

Tennessee Sour Mash -- Jack Daniels, George W. Dickel

Bourbon -- Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey

Scotch -- Balvenie, MacAllen

Irish -- Tullamore Dew (blend), Tyrconnell (single malt)

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 08:08:10 PM »
In addition to Daniels list I'll throw in Kesslers. cheap yet quite good. I like Bulliet for a sippin whiskey.
If it's got to be scotch I like Famous Grouse.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 01:04:24 AM »
Half pint of Kesslers right from the freezer,grandpa got the top half and i got the spider.. :P
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Gatofeo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 12:02:27 AM »
River City John, you must mean Bulleit bourbon, bottled in Lawrenceburg, Ky.
Note the i in Bulleit.  ;D

It's about my favorite as far as whiskey goes. The bottle looks old-timey, and the label says, Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey
I bought my first bottle a few years ago because it looked neat. Not long afterward, there was a report in a Playboy that listed Bulleit and others as some of the finest bourbons money could buy.
It's great for mint juleps, or just sipping.
And for coolness ... the bottle's stoppered with a cork and not a screw cap! The name's even moulded into the glass of the bottle. I've generally found it here in Utah for just under $30. It's cheaper in nearby Nevada, although the price may have jumped since I bought my last bottle a few years ago.
I'm not a fan of Jack Daniels. Tastes like lantern oil to me.
"A vast desert. Smoke. Brimstone. Pierced parchment. The ugly cat is much amused." -- The Quantrains of Gatodamus (1503-1566)

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 12:32:32 AM »
Half pint of Kesslers right from the freezer,grandpa got the top half and i got the spider.. :P

The Spider?
A work in progress.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 11:43:23 AM »
RT it's aparent you never knew The River Ranger and his pal Curly Cadet,they even wrote a song about us.

When the rivers risin
and it looks like danger
never fear it's the River Ranger

AND HIS PAL CURLY CADET!

now make a circle with your fist,stick it up to your nose and go EEEE-EEE-EEE-EEE like blowin a trumpet.We always called the last swaller the spider,cuase the next mornin your head would be full of web..Did i kill that spider last night??? ahh those were the days we were famous!

My best friend worked for the river district and he was a real cowboy,he hung around me cuase my dad owned the Beacon mini mart,free smokes beer and gas...When we walked into a saloon the bands would stop playin and announce us..Were legends now..

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 12:10:45 AM »
RT it's aparent you never knew The River Ranger and his pal Curly Cadet,they even wrote a song about us.

When the rivers risin
and it looks like danger
never fear it's the River Ranger

AND HIS PAL CURLY CADET!

now make a circle with your fist,stick it up to your nose and go EEEE-EEE-EEE-EEE like blowin a trumpet.We always called the last swaller the spider,cuase the next mornin your head would be full of web..Did i kill that spider last night??? ahh those were the days we were famous!

My best friend worked for the river district and he was a real cowboy,he hung around me cuase my dad owned the Beacon mini mart,free smokes beer and gas...When we walked into a saloon the bands would stop playin and announce us..Were legends now..

I don't get out as often as I would like. ::)
A work in progress.

Offline rafterp

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 10:09:43 AM »
We had family in for the holidays and the wife and SIL went to the liquor store. Wife calls and asks what I'd like her to bring home. Feeling kinda playful I drawled out, "Bourbon and branch-water!" So she asks the lady where the bourbon is, and the lady steers her toward the Bulleit (I've loved it ever since). Funniest thing though was when honey asks the clerk, "Now where do I find...branch-water." :o
The other two I really like are Jameson's and Bushmills.

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 10:20:26 AM »
I've been reading a lot about whiskey lately, thought I might pick up a bottle to share with friends. Just wondering if people have any recommendations for a good "beginner" whiskey, or if Bulleit is still a favorite all these years later?
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 12:02:17 PM »
Jack Daniels or Makers Mark.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 12:03:17 PM »
For me it's the blended whiskeys that out shine all the bourbons. Some of the high dollar scotches are OK but not worth the money. When I'm offered a glass of anything it's only polite to drink it and ask for another, my Mom always said:

"I may of never raised any bright kids, but they're polite kids."

On a normal day I buy VO but have tried many types. For a packing it's hard to beat Ever Clear as it goes a long way. Bulleit Rye is rather good and the bottle is stylish. If some reason a treat is called for it most often is Jameson.
Now if a beginner was wanting some thing to sip or mix then Canadian Club would do. Not spendy but good. I would even take a student under my wing if he brought his wallet along to the whisky store. I'll supply the campfire, stick meat, and personal instruction!
Some of the test subjects in my lab including some really good stuff my son made.

Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 12:13:06 PM »
Sorry gents.....
The western elixir of choice in Montana for me is George Dickel rye whiskey. was reported to be voted the best rye in some contest, and even made Fox News.
Funny thing, it is reasonably priced at around $20 a fifth. a great vintage cow town choice.
best kw 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com