Author Topic: How did you choose your alias?  (Read 62754 times)

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How did you choose your alias?
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »
Howdy all!

I chose my alias as the term "mestiza" in Spanish translates to "of mixed heritage" being native american (2 tribal affiliations) on my maternal side and paternal side being german, english & french. This "mutt' also has a spanish name Leticia that means joy or happiness. Hence the nik Letty....
I wanted to be able to shoot what Geronimo took off the US Army so I went SCORRS with a "58 Pietta Remmy repo in .44. Will have to save up $$ to get into a Colt .45. Having fun shootin' when I can and enjoy reading the wealth of info. you folks have on this forum. I also dream of owning a Henry lever in .38/357.
Thanks for the welcome and I'll toss in my .2cents when it seems relevant.
Letty  8)
Don't wear out yer shirt collar lookin' fer the hindsight
~Eddie Adamek~ Trick Roper
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010, 08:57:39 PM »
Achukma, Letty!

Welcome to CAS City, and what a wonderful alias!  I'm right there with ya (pedigree listed below).  I also shoot a brace of Uberti Remington New Model Army revolvers with conversion cylinders, and either a Uberti 1860 Henry or a Uberti 1866 Winchester, all in .45 Colt.

:)

<-----1/2 Choctaw, 1/4 German, 1/4 Scots-Irish

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 09:10:52 PM »
Will get an avatar up when I've chosen "just the right" pic to post
 ;)
Don't wear out yer shirt collar lookin' fer the hindsight
~Eddie Adamek~ Trick Roper
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 08:32:03 AM »

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2010, 07:29:26 AM »
I am actually known as "JD" in "real life."  And I'm not from Alabama, but my parents were and their families stretch back to the first white settlers and, in the case of my mother's Creek ancestors, beyond.  So my blood is 100% Alabamian.  In some circles this is nothing to brag about, but "we is what we is."  The Flicker is a woodpecker found in the deep south, also known as a "Yellowhammer" for its bright golden plumage.

During the War Between the States, a company of young cavalry soldiers from Huntsville, Albama, under the command of Rev. D.C. Kelly, arrived at Hopkinsville, KY, where Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest's troops were stationed. The officers and men of the Huntsville company wore fine, new uniforms. The sleeves, collars and coattails of the new cavalry troop sported bits of brilliant yellow cloth. Gen. Forrest's cavalry,  who had long been on the battlefields, were dressed in faded, worn uniforms.

As Kelly's Troops rode past Forrest's Company A , Will Arnett cried out in greeting "Yallerhammer, Yallerhammer, flicker, flicker, flicker!" The greeting brought a roar of laughter from the men and from that moment the Huntsville soldiers were spoken of as the "yellowhammer company." The term quickly spread throughout the Confederate Army and all Alabama troops were referred to unofficially as the "Yellowhammers."

When the Confederate Veterans in Alabama were organized they took pride in being referred to as the "Yellowhammers" and wore a yellowhammer feather in their caps or lapels during reunions.  The Univ. of AL is still nicknamed after the flicker, as in "Rammer Jammer Yellowhammer!"

My persona is an Alabama boy who served in the Army of Tennessee, somehow managing to survive, and who went west after the carnage finally ended.  He traveled widely, from Tombstone to Deadwood to San Francisco, sometimes gambling, often working for rather shady enterprises, but generally avoiding total outlawry.  <wink>
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2010, 10:50:20 AM »
Achukma, Letty!

Welcome to CAS City, and what a wonderful alias!  I'm right there with ya (pedigree listed below).  I also shoot a brace of Uberti Remington New Model Army revolvers with conversion cylinders, and either a Uberti 1860 Henry or a Uberti 1866 Winchester, all in .45 Colt.

<-----1/2 Choctaw, 1/4 German, 1/4 Scots-Irish

It's that Scots-Irish part that'll get you into trouble.  It always did it for me.   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010, 03:32:46 PM »
It's that Scots-Irish part that'll get you into trouble.  It always did it for me.   ;D

Aye, that it does. :-\ :-[ :D

Offline Troublesome River

• SASS #69863
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2010, 11:11:50 AM »
I chose mine from the Indian name (sorry, but I'm too old to be PC), for the river that run through the southern side of our farm. It's name means Troublesome River. Officially it's known as the Embarras (Em' bar ah) but that would be just, embarrassing to use.
                                                                                                                                                                      T.R>

I'm too old to fight, and I'm too young to die, but I ain't gonna run!!

Student of the lost arts
Pirate of the Darkside

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2010, 09:19:41 PM »
I chose mine from the Indian name (sorry, but I'm too old to be PC)

I can only speak for myself, but I am not at all troubled by that.  In fact, that's what I prefer to be called.

-- Nighteyes (Mississippi Choctaw)

Offline Long Branch Louie

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2010, 05:56:47 AM »
Always loved "Gunsmoke". Louie was the saloon drunk in the Long Branch Saloon. Since I used to be sorta bad to take a drink ( well, worse than sorta), it all kinda just sounded right to me.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2010, 11:46:30 PM »
My alias is based mainly on some story lines that I've come up with over the past couple of years.

The name "Ridgway" is based on the vastly underrated singer/songwriter/storyteller Stan Ridgway. Check out his website for further info at www.stanridgway.com.
And what about Texican Ranger? Thought it sounded purty dad-gum good so I ran away with it! ;) 8)
A work in progress.

Offline Col.Will B.Havoc

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2010, 08:57:58 AM »
As a U.S.Army and CalGuard Veteran and a long time Reenactor I took mine from the quote "Cry havoc and loose the dogs of war"

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »
I'm a doc and not as young as I used to be, so didn't take much imagination.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2010, 01:32:26 PM »
I chose mine from the Indian name (sorry, but I'm too old to be PC), for the river that run through the southern side of our farm. It's name means Troublesome River. Officially it's known as the Embarras (Em' bar ah) but that would be just, embarrassing to use.

TR:
If I read your posting correctly, you understand Embarras to be an Indian word .....
If so, une petite correction mon ami .... it is French.
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2010, 05:28:58 PM »
I can only speak for myself, but I am not at all troubled by that.  In fact, that's what I prefer to be called.

-- Nighteyes (Mississippi Choctaw)

Same with all my friends around here, but I pronounce it as they do, In-done.  Not sure of it's the regional accent or not, but all of them I've met that has spent any time on the reservation say it that way.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2010, 02:36:46 PM »
Same with all my friends around here, but I pronounce it as they do, In-done.  Not sure of it's the regional accent or not, but all of them I've met that has spent any time on the reservation say it that way.

Its regional, Del, and its good that you picked up on it.  So many don't.  Many of the Oklahoma Choctaw up in the Bakersfield area say it so fast that the second and third syllable sorta melt into each other.  It almost sounds like "IN-din."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2010, 04:24:12 PM »
BTW I make dang good fry bread. ;)  Mostly Lakota, Omaha, Ponca, Ioway and Pottawatimie around here.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Cart Ridge

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2010, 12:57:29 AM »
I've had 2 previous aliases for SASS but did not like either.  Since I am getting back into it I decided to pick a new one.  I was thinking of Mudd N. Yereye, or doing a preacher character and going by Lead S. Pray.  That one was the wife's idea.  But one night last week I just thought up Cart Ridge and it was not taken, but it is now.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2010, 08:10:38 AM »
BTW I make dang good fry bread. ;)  Mostly Lakota, Omaha, Ponca, Ioway and Pottawatimie around here.

Would like to learn how some time.  Mostly what I make is Southern-style buttermilk cornbread, baked up in a cast iron skillet.  Also make an occasional batch of buttermilk biscuits, also in a skillet.

Silent Joe

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2010, 12:05:25 PM »
In my younger days I've read books about a lonesome cowboy, who was knowned as Joe Silent. He was suspected from murder, he didn't, but he fought on the right side of the Law. Later on he got amnesty and travelled around as a free man. Worked as cowboy, stagecoastdriver and sheriff or marshal. Silent Joe sounds me better, so I changed the name. :) 

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2010, 08:40:39 PM »
Born by the Stillwater river, in Stillwater County, Montana... The town of Columbus, Montana, on the banks of the Stillwater River, was once named Stillwater also.

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com