Author Topic: need help with shotgun  (Read 3346 times)

Offline lostarrow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
need help with shotgun
« on: December 27, 2009, 09:56:27 AM »
i just bought an old sxs h.pieper shotgun ,the markings say patent april 23 1881 no 4476,i was wondering if someone could give me some info on this beautiful shotgun.also if anyone knows were to get parts or if i can use the firing pins from another model shotgun,any info would be greatly appreciated,thank you :D

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: need help with shotgun
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 12:35:26 PM »
Henri Pieper, born in Westphalia, Germany in 1840 moved to Herstal, just outside Liege, Belgium in 1860 and by 1865 had founded H. Pieper et Cie, manufacturer of a wide selection of sporting guns and handguns.

Pieper is credited with being the first to mass-produce machine-made sporting guns in Liege and, although inexpensive, these guns were recognized for being of good quality. Many of his shotguns were designed with the North American market in mind and were usually referred to as “Americans.”

Similarities between Pieper’s shotguns and those of, say, Colt and Remington are due to Pieper imitating the American guns for commercial reasons and closely following American machining methods for economic reasons.

Following his death in 1905 the company changed its name to Anciens Etablissements Pieper, and remained in business until about 1950.

Like any of the foreign'made shotguns that flooded the American gun market - parts are still inside the guns belonging to others.

Your quest for replacement parts might take you some time to fill, unless you can connect with a parts gun, somewhere down the line.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 06:52:32 PM »
Lost Arrow,

If all you need are replacement firing pins, any reasonably competent machinist (though a good gunsmith would be better) should be able to fabricate a set for you.  That is particularly true if you still have one or more of the originals, functioning or not.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:03:56 AM »

Offline lostarrow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:49:39 PM »
thanks for all your help guys

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com