Author Topic: Rossi lever actions  (Read 84853 times)

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Rossi lever actions
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 10:50:46 PM »
I just picked up a 92 Rossi from my FFL after the 10 day wait.  It has an action job by Nate Kiowa Jones.  I will soon get it to the range to see how it works.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline Lewie Girardeau

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 02:01:40 PM »

Howdy All,

"Several companies have replacement American walnut stocks and fore ends, and I plan on replacing mine someday." 

I'm thinking about just going late time frame and getting a Rossi so I can get a pair of matched RATS.. How much do the American Walnut stocks cost?

Lewie

Offline Dances With Coyotes

• Dark Lord of the Soot apprentice
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 09:41:05 PM »
If you ever come across one of the older INTERARMS Rossi's jump all over it if the price is right. I've got two one in .38/.357 and another in .44 mag. I started with the .357 and have had it for at least 16 years. I gave $175 for it in a pawn shop. It loves the 147gr TC bullet from www.moultonlead.com  Basically a longer bullet that when loaded in a .38 case is the same length as a .357. I load mine 1.55" and it eats them up without a hitch.
All you need is love and a .45

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:40:38 AM »

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 06:46:15 AM »
I have three Rossi 1892 rifles.

454 Casull, 45LC Customized Take Down and a Brass Frame 1892

All are 100% perfect rifles. Smooth as silk and extremely accurate. All three have great wood to metal finish. For the $$ spent, there is no competition.............

But......

My 1973 Uberti is much faster and easier handling for CAS. The pistol grip is a huge plus for me. But it costs more than twice what an 1893 Puma will cost.

Your dime!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 08:34:41 AM »
I have three Rossi 1892 rifles.

454 Casull, 45LC Customized Take Down and a Brass Frame 1892

All are 100% perfect rifles. Smooth as silk and extremely accurate. All three have great wood to metal finish. For the $$ spent, there is no competition.............

But......

My 1973 Uberti is much faster and easier handling for CAS. The pistol grip is a huge plus for me. But it costs more than twice what an 1893 Puma will cost.

Your dime!

Quick question on the 454 have you tried 45 colts in it and if so how well does it work. I was thinking about getting one myself. Thanks
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 05:20:46 PM »
Yes, I shoot 45LC in the 454 all the time. Excellent accuracy and a whole bunch less recoil. Shooting this very light gun with 300g 454 loads will REALLY get your attention!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 06:00:17 PM »
Yes, I shoot 45LC in the 454 all the time. Excellent accuracy and a whole bunch less recoil. Shooting this very light gun with 300g 454 loads will REALLY get your attention!

I had the same question. I love my .357 m92 and it feedsboth the .38sp and the .357mag well, any bullet Ifeed it. 
Been thinking about a .454 myself.I wonder how much black would fit in the .454 case under a 20-250 gr cast bullet???
Lots of smoke ;D
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 06:10:57 PM »

Thanks and once I get my Uberti Cattleman 1873 75" barrel revolver I will pick up a 454 then. I will be selling off a Springfield Arms 1911 loaded US model made in 2004 tomorrow to Buds and ordering the Uberti I want. I should have enough left to perhaps put the 454 on layaway as I expect to get about $600 for the Springfield as that is what they offered me when I bought it used. I've only put about 100 rounds more though it since then since I own a couple of 1911 besides the Springfield.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
75 inch barrel..................WOW!  ;D

Can you still get the Rossi in 454? I thought they stopped making them..........
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 07:45:07 PM »
75 inch barrel..................WOW!  ;D

Can you still get the Rossi in 454? I thought they stopped making them..........

Typo I missed my period. It should read 7.5" barrel.  ;D
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2011, 07:52:01 PM »
Yea, I knew that............just joshing with ya!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2011, 07:59:40 PM »
Yea, I knew that............just joshing with ya!

I knew you did. Oh and I talked to Bud's the other day and they said they still have a few so will probably put one on layaway tomorrow when I take them the Springfield. They said they had two in case hardened, blued with octagon barrels but didn't mention the lengths to me when I spoke to them.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2011, 08:20:01 PM »
YIKES............Case hardened with octagon barrels...........Please let me know if this is real and the barrel length and I'll buy the other one. Or give me Buds info and I'll call them tomorrow.

I had no idea they were EVER offered in 454 with this configuration. Mine is round barrel, blued receiver.

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2011, 09:03:54 PM »
YIKES............Case hardened with octagon barrels...........Please let me know if this is real and the barrel length and I'll buy the other one. Or give me Buds info and I'll call them tomorrow.

I had no idea they were EVER offered in 454 with this configuration. Mine is round barrel, blued receiver.

They don't have a single 454 listed on their site now so perhaps I've waited to long unless they have a couple stached in the back somewhere. Simply type up Buds Guns and you will get them on the net. I new that Rossi didn't list such a gun so I asked and that is what the guy I spoke too told me. Now with that said it isn't the first time one of the counter people there wasn't up to speed on a particular gun.  At any rate I will talk to their buyer tomorrow.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 10:30:24 AM »
Ok I just got back from Bud's and you are correct and I was wrong, no 454 in stock and the guy was looking at a 45 colt in that finish. So no luck on it so will pass for now. I did get a good price for the Springfield and will be trading it for the Uberti Cattleman when it arrives. I will get money back to buy some other stuff too probably enough to get Cliff to make me a holster for it and some ammo.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 11:32:54 AM »
He has a nice web site and it looks like he is well stocked.

Too bad no 454 in octagone.........all my lever actions except a Marlin 39 Mountie and my Rossi 454 wear 8 sided steel. I'm just a nut for octagon barrels!

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
He has a nice wen site and it looks like he is well stocked.

Too bad no 454 in octagone.........all my lever actions except a Marlin 39 Mountie and my Rossi 454 wear 8 sided steel. I'm just a nut for octagon barrels!

He is very well stocked and probably the biggest internet seller of guns. It is actually 2 stores within a 1/4 radius as well as internet and state of the art range including one LEO can actually set the time of day lights and even drive in with their cars. His prices are also hard to beat. It is local for me as it is about 10 minutes from my home. I shoot their range about once a week with various guns mostly may carry guns.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »
I have had a rossi 92 since about 1995.  Back then there was a problem with the 44 mags, they drilled a .429 hole and then rifled out to about .435.  My rifle would key hole at 25 yards if I pushed it.  800- 900 fps pistol rounds worked ok though for cas.  I since discovered if I use desparado soft lead bullets and moderate charges I can get sub 8 inch groups at 100 yards, so I never bothered sending the gun back to get rebarreled.

I could shoot 44 specials out of mine if I used 245 grain semi wad cutters and a good roll crimp.  They did not feed really well but could be shot.  The rifle feeds much better with 200 grain lrn out of a 44 mag case.  For my gun if you seat that bullet in a 44 spec case when you ram the lever open the elevator flipping up tosses the short round straight up in the air and out of the rifle.  Would work just fine with a longer round nose flat point bullet - really dont see the need to shoot the shorter bullet.  Seriously thinking about phasing out my 44 special brass and strictly going with 44 mag in rifle and pistol.  Currently shoot 44 spec from my vaqueros and super blackhawks.

The newer rossi's are much smoother operating than my old gun.  I spent big bucks getting one slicked up by nate kiowa jones.  Had him replace the bolt as well - did not want the safety.  It is slick and smooth.  Last week at 25 yards put 3 rounds in two holes. Only about 1/8 inch of paper separated the two holes.  The hole the 2 rounds went into was only about 1/16 inch out of round.  Working on a load to use as my long range pistol caliber load.  Need something a little faster than 700 - 800 fps out of the pistol to make the trip and stay stable.

Bottom line the rossi really is a good gun and is much stronger and lighter in equal barrel lengths than the 73.  For SASS if you want to win big matches it seems like you need a slicked 73 or a marlin.

If you plan on hunting with your rifle and want to use heavy yet safe loads you really only have 2 choices and the 73 is not one of them.  Rossi or Marlin all the way.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2011, 05:33:08 AM »
Took my 1892 "Golden Boy" out to the range yesterday afternoon. Put 200 rounds through it after I did the action job. This is easily the most accurate lever rifle I've ever owned! At 50 yards, iron sights, using my range bag as a rest, it put 100 rounds in a black bullseye 4" across.........

From a standing position I would guess 80% of my shots hit an 10" gong.........

I also had my 1873 Uberti and 1884 Cowboy Marlin along. They are both sweet guns, but I didn't have the accuracy success of the Rossi.

This Rossi is a keeper!

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »