Author Topic: Folding knives  (Read 9354 times)

Offline Whiskey James SASS#85199

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Folding knives
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:07:54 AM »
Howdy All,

Just wondering when it was that folding knives became common enough to see one in a cowboys pocket.  And maybe some sources to some.

thanks a lot,

Whiskey James

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Folding knives
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 09:23:20 AM »
Always a good idea to review the 'back pages' of any of the forums - you'll find all sorts of answers.

The two St. George's Notes 'VII' and 'VIIa' will give you a good idea of 'what' and 'when' - but as to your locating originals - you're on your own.

There are modern manufacturers of knives that have a good 'look' but with stainless blades and synthetic scales - I can't recommend any of them, since they're of no interest to me - but I'm sure you'll get replies.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 03:00:21 PM »
Pocket knives have been around a long time. Excavated out of Revolutionary War sites, Civil War sites . . . and from well before those timeframes.

www.ssfirearms.com
www.fcsutler.com
www.dixiegunworks.com

All three Sutlers above carry perfectly acceptable pocket knives. Also, keep looking in antique shops, farm auctions, etc. The most common forms of pocket knives were all developed well before the turn to the 20th century, with the exception of the modern 'tactical'-type folders you see so much of today.
Stay away from the "40-tools-in-one" knives, too. Keep them simple as the general purpose they were used for originally.

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:07:10 AM »

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »
See Johnny Cohea,he makes some real nice ones. :) See gallery,folders.

http://jmcknives.blademakers.com/
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 07:56:06 PM »
I have made 1 slip joint already.

And I have been eye-in up barlow pattern slip joints, which from my understanding date reliably to the late 1700's.   Of course I'm thinkin about period correct materials.... carbon steel blade, spring, and american hardwood handle scales.

As far as friction folders go I have personal experience with both Dave Cole and John Cohea versions and know that neither will disappoint.

I have yet to read St. George's posts but look forward to doing so.

From what I understand pocket knives were quite common throughout the 1800's  so it shouldn't be to difficult to come up with an authentic plan ranging from friction folder to a high class pearl handled doctor's pattern slippie

-Josh  ;D

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 09:38:18 PM »

Grand Daddy Barlow's were popular

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 01:34:28 AM »
You're in luck, since the originals were factory-made knives - and they were prolific in their manufacture and retailing efforts - there were hundreds of thousands of them, if not more.

Many were of European manufacture - many of the original styles still exist, today - with some made by the original makers.

So very few were handmade as to be of negligible interest to a serious Impression, and there were none of the modern varieties seen today.

In fact, there were 'very' few locking-bladed pocket knives - most showing up close to the century's end.

The difficulty arises in finding a 'nice' pocket knife that'd look as though it had no wear - as though it were a recent purchase.

Today, that's hard to do, since collecting pocket knives reached popularity about 30 years ago and has risen.

Still, they 'do' turn up at estate sales...

Get a copy of the reprint 1895 or 1900  'Sears, Roebuck' catalog that Barnes and Noble's sells - the big, phonebook-sized one - and you'll see all sorts of 'real' pocket knives and sheath knives available for sale during the era.

Back then - if you could read a catalog (or knew someone who could) - you could get any of the big suppliers to mail your purchases to the nearest town, if that town didn't already have a Hardware or Dry Goods store, and if it was later in the era - the mail might even bring 'em to the ranch.

As to my 'Notes' - I pulled them all quite some time ago - there are around 50 of them, and they go back a few years...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:13:36 PM »
Its time to bring this thread to the top.

I submit that knives are first, last. and always, TOOLS.  Tools are only useful when they are with you!

I'm sure that there were more pocket knives around the west than is generally acknowledged.  Around a branding fire the belt knife and pistol were probably hung on a corral post or saddle pocket.  The stock knife was likely the main instrument used in fireside "surgery".  Townies would seldom carry a belt knife in town but would always have a pocket knife.

The survival rate of pocket knives is probably low because they were USED until they disappeared in a cloud of sharpening dust.

(My Father was a carpenter and carried a stock knife tucked beside his wallet in his back pocket.  I did the same until pocket clips came out.  My first was a SPYDERCO "Hunter", which I still have.)

Pocket knives don't "show" as well as belt knives, but I think were more important and should be stressed more in our sport.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 01:01:43 PM »
Well said Sir Charles.  The fact that at least 99% of folks in the old pictures don't have a belt knife strapped on, let alone a bowie knife big enough to count as a short sword ought to tell folks something.  Except in the rare case I have to go to one of the damnedable government office buildings that won't let you, I carry a pocket knife, a Buck 311 to be precise.  No knife , nail and hammer visible in the inset and the black scales worn smooth. 

Yes most folks in that day before it became non PC carried one.  Both my Grandma's carried one in their purse.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 02:51:59 PM »

Whiskey I still use the same friction folder that I use when doing 18th century reenacting.
It was made by Randy Wolfe. It is the wooden handled one on the left at the bottom of the photo.
just above the two bottom knives. Some knives span the two time periods very well.

Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 06:10:09 PM »
Friction folders are found in Roman excavation sites 2000 years old. The backspring-slipjoint folder dates from the 17th century. I've even seen a switchblade that apparently dates back to the 17th century. Locking blades were sometimes seen on 19th century folders, usually in the "folding dirk" design. John Wilkes Booth was carrying one when he was killed. But you really can't go wrong with a Barlow. By the way, "Barlow" is a design, not a manufacturer. The true Barlow has a handle that swells toward the rounded butt and the bolster (the metal reinforcement at the front) extends about a third of the length of the closed handle. They go back at least to the early 19th century. They were turned out in huge numbers and were so cheap any boy could own one and most did. Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn both carried Barlows (okay, they were fictional but the Barlow wasn't.) Barlows were made by numberless companies but the John Russel company made more than most. The Russels have a capital R with an arrow through it stamped on the bolster. Cheap, handy and incredibly useful: that's hard to beat.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 07:00:54 PM »

My Granddad always carried a pocket knife, either a Stockmans knife or a Granddaddy Barlow, these old knives like Sir Charles mentioned were sharpened until there wasn't anything left to sharpen, he always had a little sharpening stone with him, and his blades were like razors, even when he went healed he never carried a fixed blade knife, all those were kept at the ranch or in his saddle bags.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 07:11:19 PM »
BTW a stock knife, with three blades, is a wonderful whittling knife
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 07:13:25 PM »
BTW a stock knife, with three blades, is a wonderful whittling knife

They are about the handiest knife ever made.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 08:37:42 PM »
They are about the handiest knife ever made.

Because I am a klutz, after accidentally folding a large stockknife onto my knuckles,  I have settled on small lockblades as a daily pocketknife. That does not prevent me from both admiring the well-made Stockknife!

However there is one thing that continues to perplex me - the names of the blades. The  Stock Knife patterns have  a variety of  blades: pen blades,  clip point blade,  spey blade, and a sheepfoot blade. The first two are obvious and self explanatory (not that I ever used the spey blade for it's named purpose!) But what in the dickens is a sheepfoot blade named for? To my eye it does not "look" like a little hoof; Do Sheeps Feets need regular trimming, rather like Horsie Hoofies? ? Not being a sheepherder I am woefully unfamiliar with anything but their aroma and the flavor of lamb ....

Oh, and the one favored sheep at the Histerical Re-Enactment Farm that insisted on rubbing her neck on my 300 pound anvi, knocking it off the stump :-(  ... And the Goose that kept laying her eggs in my forge and trying to bite everyone in the Glutious Maximus ...

yhs
prof marvel
(is he making this cr*p up?)
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com